Manual Brakes

Palmbchmonte

On the new motor we will not have enough vacuum for a brake booster.

I don't want to rely on a vacuum pump, and I don't want go $$ hydroboost route, so I am thinking about going to manual brakes.

Is anyone running manual brakes ? What brand and how well do you stop ?

Thx

I did this years ago.  Long story short, I bought some aftermarket 2 piston calipers (Power Stop?) and they stopped worse than the stock single pistons.  I then changed over to manual brakes with a master cylinder and rod from Master Power Brakes (I think), and used the different mounting point on the brake pedal.  Still didn't stop well, so I went back to stock all around.

BUT, I never tried the manual setup with stock single piston and standard type pads.  It may work better than my manual setup with the dual piston and performance pads.

I also tried a vacuum pump and hated it - too noisy and results weren't that great.

I wish I had a better answer for ya.  Try the Chevelles.com, betcha somebody will chime in.

I have a wilwood dynapro 4 wheel disc set-up on mine. Had a little trouble getting the pedal to feel right at first. I just swapped the master cylinder to change the bore size. The wilwood kit was a bit pricey but very much worth it imo. Works great so far. There's nothing wrong with manual brakes, my car stops as well as newer cars.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Aerospace front discs with their master cylinder. Defiantly stops better and saves a lot of weight. My car weighs 3370 with me in it and those brakes are for cars that weigh under 3000. Stops good at 110.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...