Kick Panels - Replacements with vents... Quality?!

Ridercoachbob

Hey guys! 

I just replaced my kick panels on both sides. I have a '72 without AC, so I wanted to make sure that the Astro Vents worked before the heat of the summer.  I got them installed while I was redoing my guage lights and generally redoing the dash.  It was a bit of work putting them in, but I got it done.  My problem is that the FIRST time that I tried to open the lower vent on the driver's side, the knob and about 3 inches of handle that attach to the cable, came off in my hand.  I didn't pull very hard, it just came off!

I tried to get in touch with Rock Auto, where I bought the part, (made by Good Mark), and they don't accept phone calls...  They will allow me to buy another set and return the original... I was hoping to just replace the cable...  They don't list that and even if they did, I couldn't explain the problem as they won't talk to anyone....

Now I have to take out the parking brake, etc., to get the kick panel out, replace it and return it for a refund.  I have to do it quickly, while it's still covered by the warranty...  I only have limited time to work on the car as I am busy every weekend till the middle of June...

The part looks to be well built and I was happy with them.  I can't see how it let go, but it looks like it wasn't really attached as there is no sign of breakage on the part that came off.  I know how to do the work and I know I can handle it,  but this sucks...

Has anyone else had any problems with these parts?  Should I expect to have problems with the replacement and the other side going forward?!

Would Rock Auto give you a credit or refund? If so, I would do that and look for a nice set of OEM vents. I would always use OEM over aftermarket. Just my two cents.

Good luck!!

Mike

I replaced all of my cables several years ago when I replaced the leaking heater core (NO A/C)

After about 2 years all 4 BROKE!

I called (don't remember who) and they said it was too late.

Just another case of poor quality "off shore" aftermarket parts.

On the plus side, the new chrome knobs still look great!

I should reinstall the old cables with the new knobs!

Yes, I still have the old ones!

Bruce

I have a methoud of cutting the Butterfly Valve portion, from the whole of the Kick panel molding/assembly, and mounting the valve w/ sealer, to the metal opening. Using this methoud, the screen, trim panel, knobs  & cables can be removed, for whatever reason, without removing the "Valve and sealant" (and park brake assembly!)from the metal plenum area.     I did this on an AC car, too, removing the "re-circ-valve".   Requires an Xacto knife, x-tra blades, 5 or 6 additional self-drilling screws, 6-pak of beer. I have full size drawings that double as marking and cutting templates. As methouds for attaching things to most websites are, by design, excessively* difficult, I doubt I'll be able to figure it out. (I can't even find Spel-chek on here.) I'm not even sure the post button is working.

I looked closer and the handle is pressed onto the wire or cable.  Mine simply pulled out of the center of the handle.  It just wasn't crimped down hard enough...  It does look like it may be possiblle for this to happen later to the others...

I am not sure that OEM parts are available for this application.  I would doubt that GM still produces them and NOS parts are likely very hard to come by...

Adapting the kick panels to be easier to work on sounds great.  

I have ordered new ones from Rock Auto and they will refund the purchase price of the new ones when I return the defective ones...  Just more work and time...

• 8 months later...

I just replaced my heater core last month...  It is working really well.  The problem is that we had a hot day when I was testing the heater output.  Everything works perfectly.  I got it a bit warm in the car, so I shut off the heater and opened the upper astro vent....  The dang knob came off in my hand AGAIN!  I think that I am going to use the chrome handle and fabricate my own cable...  It has to work better than these!  It just looks like they aren't pressed on very well.  I may try to thread the inside of the knob or maybe try to add a set screw from the side....  Any ideas?

I replaced all 4 of the vent cable assemblies, when I replaced my heater core and I think they are now all broken.

The original one just had poor chrome but worked great.

I am so happy I didn't throw the old one's out! (I never throw anything out)

Picture of the new cables.

IMG_0363.thumb.JPG.fb77d2f26ebd379259aa73792ca35748.JPG

My original cables were tied up in knots...  Previous owner had tied them to get them out of the way for speakers that he put into the lower vents.  I wish that I had saved the knobs though... I might have been able to use them.