Hood latch does not open the hood

AnHie65

Hi,

Sorry if I am posting to the wrong section but I have an annoying problem with the hood latch. The mechanism seems to work ok when looked through the grille but unfortunately it does not open the hood - not to even pop to the wind hook position.

Is there some good advice how shall I tackle this problem?

Anssi from Finland

Hi Anssi,

Can you add some history for this problem?  Always been an issue or something recent?  Have you made any changes leading up to the problem.  More info will get you closed to the fix.  I assume you haven't been able to release the hood from the mechanism................  It is either adjustment of mechanism is broken.  You might try someone operating the latch while another pushed down firmly on front of Hood careful not to dent metal as it is so tight it can't release and gently pushing Hood back toward cowl.  These subtle attempts may get it released and then inspect and adjust if this works.  Otherwise, not really sure how else I would go about it..........................

Doug   

Thanks Doug,

I´ll try with Your instruction. There has been every once and a while this kind of problem. Few times few gentle knocks on hood have helped but now seems to be tight stuck. Night has just come to Finland so I´ll try to solve this problem tomorrow or later on next week...

Perhaps the latch can be opened under the car/ bumper, let´s see...

Anssi

Hi, Anssi,

I had a similar problem on my gold/black '70 SS several years ago.  If the latch is not bound due to hood misalignment, the combination of the weight of the hood and the friction of the hood hinges in the closed position may be too great for the external coil spring on the latch plunger to overcome.  Either that or the coil spring is deformed or broken.  Since I did NOT want to lubricate the hood hinges (because the hood barely stays in the up position by itself already), I opted to increase the latch opening spring force by adding a "helper" coil spring inside the original (see photos below).

I just selected a spring from my large collection of compression springs and assembled it on the latch plunger.  It added enough upward force to allow me to get my fingers under the front edge of the hood to lift it all the way.  If your hood is rather stiff to open and stays up easily, you may want to just lubricate the hinges to see if that will allow the hood to pop open a bit when you pull the latch lever.  Good luck.

post-567-0-13604200-1527450640_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-47792000-1527450653_thumb.jpg

Dennis where did you get the extra spring? I think mine is getting weak so I would consider adding another one.

Steve, I was just lucky that I already had one that fit and worked well in my collection of compression springs of all sizes that I have accumulated over the years.  If you measure the  outer diameter of the plunger shaft and the inner diameter of the stock coil spring and also measure the compressed length of the spring when the hood is open, you will have everything you need to go to the hardware store and find a workable spring that fits inside the stock spring.  Actually, I wish my helper spring would have been made of a larger diameter wire so it had even more power when fully compressed in the hood closed position.  This lighter spring works fine for now so I stopped looking.  Hope you can find one that works for you.

• Like 1

A punch to the hood was again needed. When checking the spring it seems a bit lazy; needs a patent like Dennis did or replacement with OEM part.

Many thanks for all good answers.

Anssi

Check the mechanism itself. I had a similar problem where the hood wouldn't open yet the mechanism seemed to be working properly.  I was using a screwdriver through the grill to give it that final push to open. Turned out there was a tear in the metal so the metal was flexing for that final 1/8 inch that actually opens the hood. Replaced the mechanizm and all was right with the world. I could have welded it but I already had an extra so I just put that in.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, this JUST happened to me today!

I washed my 71, tried to open the hood but it would only open slightly and the wind latch would not on latch at all. I took a screwdriver and released the wind latch and it opened. After I examined the system I saw that it was on an angle, so I straightened it but it still didn't work. I removed it and saw 2 of the 3 welded mounting points were broken at the bend.

I took it to my nephew Steve for welding. (Steve is a welding shop teacher in a local high school in Pontiac Michigan.)

Here is a picture.

post-76-0-49350300-1528491408_thumb.jpg

I hope he can work on it this weekend but he is very busy.

Bruce

• Like 1

I am so blessed, my nephew Steve welded it last night for me and it is now installed and working great!

He told me 2 of the 3 mounting points were completely broken and the third was 1/3 cracked!

I don't think I would have seen the cracks till I removed the entire latch assembly and turned it upside down. There are 5 bolts on mine (71 No A/C) and one for my single horn and it comes right out, no big deal at all to R&R.

Bruce

• Like 1

I have had this issue for a long time also ,added an additional spring to the inside of the outside spring bought the springs from grainger,works great now