Age, something to think about.

stangeba

Something to think about: This year, my 1971 Monte Carlo is 47 years old!

post-76-0-06972800-1530918793_thumb.jpg

When I bought my 1971 Monte Carlo new in 1971, a 47 year old car would be from 1924.

post-76-0-61470800-1530918803_thumb.jpg

A new vehicle purchased today, 2018, will be 47 years old in 2065.

post-76-0-76082400-1530918806_thumb.jpg

In some states, a vehicle is considered an antique when it is 25 years old. Think of that when you get into your 1993 vehicle!

Bruce

• Like 3

Very interesting.

When I bought my 1929 Model A in 1966 it was 37 years old. It is now 89 years old and I have owned it 52 years so I have owned it almost 60% of its life.  If I keep it until it is 100 years old in 2029 I will have owned it 63 years and I will be 79.  My numbers aren't as interesting as yours Bruce, your numbers are very interesting

rob

• Like 1

When I got my 70 Monte it was 26 years old and it was a cool old car. There's not many cars I can think of that are 26 years now that are cool old cars. "Hey guys, check out my 1992 Lumina I just got!!!" does not quite have the same effect as my 70 Monte did back then.

So true!  Mine was 14 years old when I got it in 1988 and I thought that was old......now its really old!

Kinda off topic but not really

What I find so bizarre is how Americana and Pop Culture was divided into decades with lines drawn between the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s - each decade with their own distinct characteristics.  But ever since the late 90s or 2000, everything seems to be kinda the same and unchanged nothing really defining the last 2 decades.   Maybe that 2018 car will be nothing special in 2065.

But ever since the late 90s or 2000, everything seems to be kinda the same and unchanged nothing really defining the last 2 decades.   Maybe that 2018 car will be nothing special in 2065.

I agree with you man, there’s no argument that cars from the 50s, 60s and early 70s are cool, even a handful of late 70s/early 80s Aussie cars, the question is… is that the cut off?

There’s not really been anything ‘special’ looking since the dawn of the new millennium, I honestly can’t remember anything that people are saying ‘that’s a future classic’ but did anyone say that when the 68 charger came out?

I agree with you man, there’s no argument that cars from the 50s, 60s and early 70s are cool, even a handful of late 70s/early 80s Aussie cars, the question is… is that the cut off? 

There’s not really been anything ‘special’ looking since the dawn of the new millennium, I honestly can’t remember anything that people are saying ‘that’s a future classic’ but did anyone say that when the 68 charger came out? 

I remember being able to tell the year and model of most of the cars back in the late 50's, 60's and early 70's. Today, I have NO IDEA what most vehicles are anymore. Well I do know they are all SUV's and we will never see passenger cars anymore. (joke)

New Mustang's look great but I'm not a fan of new Corvette's or the Camaro.

When is the new GTO or 442 expected?

Bruce

First...Bruce... I love your Monte with the slick top!!!

Second, 95% of newer cars all look the same from late 90's until today. I remember bring my son to get tires mounted on my Yukon in the early 2000's, there were three silver cars up on the lifts at the time and my son couldn't have been 6 years old, he looked at me and said "look dad, three of the same cars". Of course they were all different makes. It just seems every car now has that same general shape with some minor different body lines down the sides. 

I think with only a small exception there are no real classics for the future....

Steve

• Like 2

I think the meaning of classics for today's cars will be different from the cars we currently refer to. These days, cars are differentiated by their options instead of styling differences.

Rarity might be a deciding factor. Cars like the Dodge hellcat and demon are made in limited quantities but are still considered modern muscle.

I too like the newer mustangs though I'll probably never be able to afford one.

One caviat though is the longevity of electronics. Can't seem to get things to last more than a few years so we need a steady supply of components to keep them on the road.

• Like 1

Some things are just Timeless..

The jet age cars still look futuristic

A car that I like that you might think I'm crazy is a Lumina z34 like Dale Earnhardt raced in the early nineties

To me it was the best looking car in the 90s... biggest drawback was it was a front-wheel drive dual overhead cam V6 that was a nightmare to work on and maintain.

FB_IMG_1527994995159.jpg