Best high gloss black paint products?

A_Rescue

The deepest black is going to be just black.  Most auto OEMs don't use pure black for their black cars, it has other colors mixed into it.  A little bit of blue may help as well.  PPG 9300/9700 is supposed to be almost pure black, Southern Polyurethanes is supposed to have a very pure black as well.

Good paint won't care what color or brand primer is under it, as it should completely cover with no transparency in 2-3 coats.  Make sure that the car is completely blocked, any imperfections in the body will take away from the paint.  Start with a coarse grit and work your way up, don't be afraid to leave plenty of primer dust on the ground.  Whether you use clear coat or single stage, make sure to level it with somewhat coarser grit (800-1000 to start), depending on how much urethane wave or orange peel you have.  Make sure to put enough clear on that you don't burn through.

10% of getting high gloss paint is the color, 90% of it is the prep and finishing work.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/12-body-shop/369378-blackest-black-paint-here-we-go-again.html

I only have experience with acrylic enamel in its unhardened form, and that's mostly implement paint (Rustoleum).  I believe acrylic urethane will be longer lasting.  There's not much of a price difference either.

Both products use isocyanate hardener.  Make sure to use a good breathing system and cover your entire body, it can be absorbed through bare skin!

Back in the day, DuPont IMRON was fantastic.

31 years ago I used old school Lacquer with NO clear coat.

If I redid my black 71 today I have no idea what I would use but it would include a clear coat!

Good luck,

Bruce

the best deepest gloss black you will find is an acrylic urethane single stage from a good company like glasso or sikkens. None of the black single stage paints are very durable anymore due to EPA regulations restricting all the good stuff that goes into paint. Black is the softest single stage there is because it contains almost no ti02 chemical.

if you are going to be a trailer queen i would go single stage.

If its a driver i suggest house of kolor jet black base with HOK usc01 show clear.

Avoid the deals you see online, never mix different brands of clear, hardeners, bases, or reducers. its too risky unless you are super familiar with the products. Sometimes it takes years for a problem to become evident.

as for brands i suggest to avoid... stay away from any independent side sale companies, PPG delfleet, PPG omni and hybrid synthetics such as ENAMEL URETHANE based paints that use dual hardeners (like delfleet). Acrylic enamel is good stuff but its old technology and time to move on.

I have always had great success with Dupont products.  They use what they call a "Value Shade" paint that you spray on the primer before you spray the base coat.  A value shade of "7" is the darkest color (looks like ink) and that is what I used before spraying the basecoat.  The basecoat is called "Super Jet Black" and is the blackest paint I have ever used.  I have sprayed 3 cars so far and it always comes out great.  For clearcoat I have been using something called Keystone Euro-clear and usually put on about 3-4 coats of clear followed by wet sanding and several stages of compounding/buffing.  After 10 years the paint still looks great.

Let me know if you would like more info.

Mike

Wow... great feedback!  Thanks     As the time for paint selection nears I am getting really excited...   next i need to learn how to bring the finish out.....

john

Just remembered something I was told years ago: Don't have your painter use paint he doesn't recommend or like, the results may not turn out as well as they could have.

• Like 1

very good info guys... thanks.  I am going to buy buffers and a polishing kit.  What tools are the best for a newby to learn on?  The polishing kits from 3M are catching my eye...

john

I purchased a random orbit buffer a year ago and dearly love it. Griot's garage sells some very nice one's a bit on the costly side but very good products. My buffer is a 6" and with differrent pads I can do anything I need to my 72 Monte. My previous buffer was the standard multi variable speed DeWalt buffer that was good but I did buff thru a few places on my car before the repaint.