Headers

Does anyone have any recommendations for headers that will fit into a 1972 Monte Carlo with out too much modifications.  My old ceramic coated headers have seen better days and its time to get a pair of nice polished ones.  From what I recall 20 years ago the headers I selected needed to be heavily modified to fit into my 72 and those modifications ended up causing a little flow restriction on a few ports.

My Monte has a 402 in it but everything else is pretty much stock.

Any suggestions to make my life easier?

Thanks everyone,

Rick 

post-5-0-27462400-1534867219_thumb.jpg
post-5-0-20999300-1534867208_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-20999300-1534867208_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-27462400-1534867219_thumb.jpg

I have stainless custom mades, but I have been told Hooker does well.  My only suggestion is to weld low profile 18 MM bungs in each collector.  Put plugs in them for now.  The ability to put a wideband O2 sensor system in each collector for monitoring, tuning, or troubleshooting is worth it's weight in gold...  Hopefully you wont need them, but if you do... they are there.  The bung should be located between 3 oclock and 9 oclock, preferably at 12 oclock.... Condensation will destroy the wideband...

john

I used Doug  Thorley 1 3/4" Long Tube #313-C Ceramic Coated in my 72 Monte 402 CI with no fitment issues what so ever.  One Tube on Driver side sits close to Potentiometer Valve on Frame but since install in 2010 hasn't caused a problem.  The 3/8" Flanges are sturdier than many others and sealed very well.  I tried torquing them once just to be sure they were secure but wasn't necessary.  Best of luck on your choice.............. :)

Doug 

When I was shopping for a set of full-length ceramic-coated headers for my '70 402 several years ago, I got a lot of good advice ... for automatic transmission cars.  Nearly every full-length header on the market for big block first gen Montes has a #7 tube that is swept back so they absolutely will not fit a manual transmission car because of the location of the Z-bar/bell crank on the lower left firewall.

If you have an automatic, you will have lots of choices.  If not, you will probably be limited to 3/4 length or shorty headers.  Don't know if you were around when CrazyDavey was still alive and posting on this forum but he was a very successful racer of a BBC '67 Chevelle.  He strongly favored and recommended Doug's D313 long tube 1 3/4" ceramic-coated headers.  Note: that is similar but not the same as the Doug Thorley C313 header.  One thing CrazyDavey was adamant about was not going larger than the 1 3/4" diameter primary tubes, especially for a stock 402.  Your mild engine can't use larger primaries, they actually hurt torque production and they take up more room.  Because of my manual transmission, I ended up going with 1 3/4" ceramic-coated 3/4 length Patriot headers but you will have more choices.  Good luck.

Jim

I was thinking about going LS in my Monte, but now  thinking about it, I am after the thought of a big block residing in the engine bay of my Monte. I do have a 427 sitting waiting for my '65 chevelle but I could squeeze it in the Monte 'til it's ready for a motor. Do you Think a 2004R would hold up to it?