Fuel Tank collapse

Shnalla

My Monte is currently not running, or at least I don't drive it anymore because I'm in the process of rebuilding brakes and front-end.

Anyway, today I tried to start the engine and as usual I poured a bit of gas in the carb because bowl where dried.
The engine started and the pump never managed to send gas...
The culprit was my fuel tank! It look like that has a bit collapsed over the time and fuel sending unit is unable to pick fuel.

My Monte doesn't have fuel canister anymore however the vent line is still "open".
Does anyone has an idea why it's doing this???
Should I buy I new tank?

You say the the vent line is still "open"...Are you sure? Can you blow air through it? Typically a clogged vent would be your problem here. If the tank is already collapsed I would think you'd want to replace that. The seams maybe weakened at this point.

Once, I had a screw fall into the vent line that I was unaware of...easy enough to find but as you know it can create a lot of really bad issues.

Steve

Sounds like the tank is not being vented. I believe the original gas cap was NOT vented like earlier 1970 models so it needs a vent somewhere. After 46 years who knows what someone did to it in the past, wrong tank, wrong sending unit, plugged lines. Do you have a shop manual to look thing up like hose routing and placement? 

See attached pictures of what my 71 looks like. When changing the hoses, I almost threw out a perhaps important restrictor / orifice. 

Good luck!

Bruce

IMG_0374-001.JPG

IMG_0369-001.JPG

IMG_0370-001.JPG

Thank you for your answers.

Referring to Bruce's picture (Fig. 41), my guess is the problem might be the separator assembly...
Anyway, I'll drop the tank this weekend and check hose routing.
Thanks !