Brad

New Member - SE PA 1970 Monte SS

Hi everyone,

Happy to join the club. I spent a few years obsessing over what my first classic car or truck choice would be and then I remembered my love of first generation Monte Carlos dating back to sophomore year in my high school when I first laid eyes on one that a senior drove to school. After a year of searching, and 15 or so mins before I was about to bid on one out in OK online earlier this summer, this one was posted in TX. Within 30 mins of it being posted online, and I believe the 3rd caller on it after coming to the internet, I followed my gut based on looking at tons of them, and took a chance and put a verbal in on it. So now I'm the happy owner of a fairly well preserved 1970 SS (not numbers matching but old CE block, with some remnants of the leveling system present - the line, the guards). Largely original car, definitely original (don't have the heart to change it)  jade green option interior (nothing says 1970 like champagne gold and jade green) and an older respray. I have named her Dorothy, the only girlfriend my wife is okay with me having. As it turns out, my father who is now in his 80s had a gold 1970 Monte Carlo small block as well - looking for pictures of it. 

I'm just starting to enjoy the car on routine drives in the country. Have some modest work to do on it starting with a tune up and probably need to replace the coils (think they are original and stance is slightly off with back slightly lower than front). I have original NOS shocks, but apart from having the air tank eventually redone and installed, I don't think I am going to hook the system up.

Anyway, I had hope to meet some of you at the eastern meet in Carlisle (where I am from and grew up), but could not get the car in time from TX so next time the meet is there I'll try to be there. When I have time I'll be looking over the forum for technical advice etc. 

Great to be here with fellow lovers of these beautiful cars. 

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Edited by Brad
typo

Welcome welcome!!!! Very nice Monte Carlo! I to am an owner of a 70 SS not numbers matching. My air ride system is intact except for the air shocks. I just got the compressor from last on the site. You will find everyone happy to help out in any way they can. Again, Welcome!!!

Welcome aboard, Brad!  Very nice find - great color combo!  Hard to beat a '70 for classic beauty ... and an SS to boot!  Of course, I'm partial to big block, gold '70s having owned two of them. Yours appears to be Champagne Gold but sometimes outdoor lighting makes  Autumn Gold look lighter, too.  Hope you enjoy the club and have years of enjoyment with Dorothy! 

(My wife calls my current '70s "girls" but I haven't been brave enough to give them names yet.)

Hey, Brad,

I forgot to mention that you can do a quick fix to your stance concern if your SS still has air shocks on the rear.  Mine have lines that are individually terminated with Schrader valves at the rear crossmember so I can raise the rear a bit with more air pressure.  It will definitely stiffen the ride, however, so don't overdo it.  My SS was also missing the compressor and brackets when I bought it but I've been able to replace those items from other members and salvage yard scrounging.  Hooking the now complete system up is still on my to do list.

First Gen Montes often appear to be high in front (or low in the rear) because the wheel well openings are somewhat deeper in front than in the rear.  Measuring ground clearance at the front and rear of the lower rocker panel is a good way to set the stance you want.

Brad,

Welcome aboard the boards.  We hope you like what you see here and decide to become a dues paying member of the club.  that is one beautiful Monte you scored there.  I notice it has the rare fiber optic light monitor system.  My Monte is also equipped with this fiber optic system.  Being new there is something you need to know.... just two pictures will not satisfy our love of Monte Carlo pictures..  We love lots of pictures.

Sorry you missed the Eastern Meet in Carlisle this year, it would have been a great debut for your car.  The next Eastern Meet in Carlisle will be in 2020 for the 50th anniversary of Monte Carlo.  That said, you don't need to wait till 2020 to meet a group from the club there.  The Eastern Meet is scheduled to be held in Carlisle every other year but in the off years I also host a mini-meet there so in 2019 I have a block of rooms at a hotel there and we will have a nice size group of members there so watch for the announcement of this mini-meet.

rob

Welcome! Great looking Monte!

Bruce

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Hi everyone,

Happy to join the club. I spent a few years obsessing over what my first classic car or truck choice would be and then I remembered my love of first generation Monte Carlos dating back to sophomore year in my high school when I first laid eyes on one that a senior drove to school. After a year of searching, and 15 or so mins before I was about to bid on one out in OK online earlier this summer, this one was posted in TX. Within 30 mins of it being posted online, and I believe the 3rd caller on it after coming to the internet, I followed my gut based on looking at tons of them, and took a chance and put a verbal in on it. So now I'm the happy owner of a fairly well preserved 1970 SS (not numbers matching but old CE block, with some remnants of the leveling system present - the line, the guards). Largely original car, definitely original (don't have the heart to change it)  jade green option interior (nothing says 1970 like champagne gold and jade green) and an older respray. I have named her Dorothy, the only girlfriend my wife is okay with me having. As it turns out, my father who is now in his 80s had a gold 1970 Monte Carlo small block as well - looking for pictures of it. 

I'm just starting to enjoy the car on routine drives in the country. Have some modest work to do on it starting with a tune up and probably need to replace the coils (think they are original and stance is slightly off with back slightly lower than front). I have original NOS shocks, but apart from having the air tank eventually redone and installed, I don't think I am going to hook the system up.

Anyway, I had hope to meet some of you at the eastern meet in Carlisle (where I am from and grew up), but could not get the car in time from TX so next time the meet is there I'll try to be there. When I have time I'll be looking over the forum for technical advice etc. 

Great to be here with fellow lovers of these beautiful cars. 

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Congrats!!! and welcome!! a real Beauty you have there.

Welcome to the club, from another dark jade  interior owner. I also can't bring myself to change it as it was built that way. You have a great looking car and I think the stance looks fine. Enjoy the ride!!!!!

Thanks everyone, yes it's champagne gold in color. Per Rob's request, I'm including more pics, actually a video the seller sent to me as I was doing some quick diligence from 1300 miles away. This one has the front bench that was technically available for the SS trim vs. the optional buckets which works out for me considering lots of kids for family drives. One other note, I bought this car and did not restore it, but my respect goes out to everyone that is or has restored their Monte Carlos. I just do not have the time or resources to do it so I had to employ my sourcing skills (almost two decades in procurement before becoming becoming a sales person) to get the one I wanted and could afford. I came across several beautiful Montes worthy of saving and maybe someday when a son gets older and I have more time I'll restore one!

Sweet!! Saw this for sale some time ago. I'm not one for green but, I do like the combo here on your new to you Monte! Glad you "decided" on a Monte Carlo especially on an SS I'm going to make mine into a "Custom" soon. Welcome to the Club!!post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

Great looking car. I like it. 1970 used a Dark Metallic Green for the interior color, not Jade Green. Jade Green was used in 1971.

Welcome to the club.

Dan - thank you/got it. Not sure how I got that mixed up on the interior color. I'll make note of that. Best, Brad

Welcome and you have a beautiful SS!

I noticed the steering column is not black. Most '70 Super Sports had black columns, but not all. A few have been found to be like yours.

What assembly plant did it come from?

Dan