Which One and Why

Rob Peters

Which One and Why  

31 members have voted

1. 1. If you could ONLY own ONE of the Monte Carlo's listed below which one would you choose. This would be your DREAM Monte. In your comments tell us why that Monte and what would be your second choice

• 1970 SS454
    • 1970 402 4-Speed
    • 1971 SS454
    • 1971 402 4-Speed
    • 1972 Custom

My first choice would be the 71 402 4-Speed.  The reason for this choice is for a couple reasons.... #1 it is the most rare Monte Carlo #2 if was going to have a Big Block I would prefer a 4-speed manual.

My second choice would be the 70 402 4-Speed.  Again, the reason for this choice is for a several reasons.  #1  1970 is my favorite year Monte.  #2 is it is a one of the rarest Monte Carlo's production number wise.  #3 again if I was going to have a Big Block Monte I would prefer a 4-Speed

rob

For me I have to stick with the 1971 Monte Carlo SS for first choice. After owing a 1970 402 4 spd car it was great but it does have some disadvantages, for instance that BB in our western meet cruises was great on the highway but uphills and down hills became troublesome and then up an incline on a stop with others behind you is more grief than it was worth (For Me) as to not roll back on start up. There are other reasons but it was 50 /50 for me. Now that I have the 71ss automatic no issues at all.

Darren

#1- 70 SS454 cranberry red, black top and interior but numbers matching. 1st big dog of our models! 

#2- 71 402 4 speed, classic copper. Big block, 4speed, one year only color on a rare Monte

#3- 71 402 auto. Lots of options. A big block that is user friendly. Lolol

Oh wait! I have all my dream cars 😲 now if I could find the time to drive them. 🤔

• Like 1

Cool!!  The Custom,Yes that would 1st choice since I'm going to clone mine (oops, let that be known) and 2nd choice would be the '71 BBC,4spd, because that grille is the best grille on ALL Montes out there and of course the 4spd is rare. Copper is the color too!post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

70 402 4 spd reason why? I had that car once. I bought it on December 23 1979 got stupid and sold it May of 1982. Wish I never had. I still know where it is, stored in a garage gathering dust.

John S

I already own my first and second choice and that's also the order I acquired them in.  My modified '70 402 4-speed is simply a blast to drive and Florida is so flat that rolling backwards from a standing start is almost non-existent.  Driving it while talking on a cell phone or sipping a drink, however, often requires a third hand so there are some drawbacks. 

My '70 SS is 99% stock but is still fun to cruise in, especially with the detent shifter plate which allows safe clutchless shifting when the hammer is down.  My third choice is not on the list but I loved driving my first '70 402 auto, even with a column mounted gear selector. 

In stock condition, the de-tuned '71 and '72 models don't offer enough appearance improvement to out-rank the '70's performance and drive train choices. All three years are classic beauties and performance can be widely altered so I would be proud to own any of them.  JMO.

• Like 1

1971 SS454.    When I was a young warthog, a guy who owned an arcade had three cars. A 71 Ss454, a 72 W Custom, and a Sinatra Stubby. My bud bought the 71, another got the Custom, and the old guy kept the Mini Caddy. I actually built a clone of the 71. Five years ago, the actual 71 showed up for sale in Georgia. Sold the clone and I have that car. The 72, with its multitude of greenness was parted out after a crash in 2005. I got the engine and the power windows.

My first choice would be a highly optioned 1970 402 in Cortez silver with an automatic and bucket seats. I had this car when I was in high school and have many great memories in and with the car. 

My second choice would be the 1970 SS454.  I have several (3) of these cars now in various colors all with black vinyl tops and bucket seat interiors and I love owning and driving them all.

My third choice would be a 1971 402 4 speed just because of the rarity.

While I like all of the first gen Montes the 1970 is my favorite.  I love the grill and parking lights of the 70 far better than the 71 or 72.

17 hours ago, LS5 said:

For me I have to stick with the 1971 Monte Carlo SS for first choice. After owing a 1970 402 4 spd car it was great but it does have some disadvantages, for instance that BB in our western meet cruises was great on the highway but uphills and down hills became troublesome and then up an incline on a stop with others behind you is more grief than it was worth (For Me) as to not roll back on start up. There are other reasons but it was 50 /50 for me. Now that I have the 71ss automatic no issues at all.

Darren

I had my 1971 350 4 speed (no power steering) at the Western Meet in Grass valley, CA. The cruise had lots of hills. Mark was behind me during the cruise, I had to tell him to stay way back at the stop signs that are on a incline.😅

• 2 weeks later...

1st choice is 71 SS454 because that was my first Monte, bought it in 1976. 2nd choice is the 70 402-4 Speed cause that is what I have now. Owned it 40 years now and had my 71 SS454 and the 70 402 4speed at the same time for  3 years. Foolishly sold the 71 but at least I still have the 70 Monte.

1971 SS 454...Triple Black...oh....I already own that...lol. Seriously, I feel the 71SS454 is the Monte to have and having a triple black one is the pinnacle of them all. I had actually sold my 71 402 4 speed car and bought a 71 Camaro that I loved but when this car came up for sale I had to go for it because I was dreaming of it since I was 18.

My second choice would be the 71 402 4 speed but as many know I was offered some serious money for mine and had to sell it.

Steve