body tag

sendo

I believe not. It shows the body and top are the same color. Vinyl top codes are usually a letter. A, B, C . Strange though, usually see the paint code only once. Maybe the car was ordered with the vinyl top trim only? 

• Like 2

It shows the roof being the same color as the body which for 1970 would be "Black Cherry".  For a 71 it would be "Rosewood Metallic".  Thomas is correct that a vinyl top would indicated by a letter.  I have only seen body tags where the paint codes have double sets numbers for body colors  rather than a single pair of numbers.  I am NOT saying Thomas is wrong, clearly i have not seen every body tag out there.  My  factory two-tone painted car is coded 25 for Astro Blue and 10 for Classic White.

rob

• Like 2

Your car did not have a vinyl top. The first 78 is for the lower body color and the second is for the upper color. Tom is correct that if it had a top it is usually shown with a letter. My 71 has a double code like yours code 19  19 =black upper and lower,car is a Baltimore built car.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here is a photo of my cowl tag. Need help decoding it. I know the A51 is Astro bucket seats. I know the color is cream yellow. I also know from the vin number having the letter “U” that it came with a 402. The car also came with tilt column, cruise control, 12 bolt non posi, a/c, vinyl top (black), Rally wheels, Black interior. The car has air shocks. Any way to determine if it came from the factory that way? I’m new to MC club. Any assistance thank you. 

00D9E7B5-0E7C-436D-AF5B-41278CE979D0.jpeg

here’s the body tag decoding info
https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/decodingbodytag/

The body tag says your car is a 1972 Monte Carlo built in Van Nuys, CA. I can’t see the first digit of the build date so don’t know if it is 11C (3rd week of November 1971) or 01C (3rd week of January 1972). Black vinyl bucket seat interior. Cream yellow paint with black vinyl top.

As for options like air shocks, wheels, etc only the build sheet could answer that. The vin or body tag does not have that info.

Welcome! If the car came from the factory with air shocks, it was because it had the G67 automatic level control option. If so, it would have had the compressor and tank assembly mounted on the inner fender on the driver's side. The compressor operated with engine vacuum and had a pressure line to a level sensing valve on the frame, above the rear axle. If you don't have the compressor, check to see if there are clips and/or an air line that follows the brake line to the rear, to a control valve.

It's more likely that someone just added air shocks with a tee to fill them by the rear bumper. Chevrolet didn't offer the air shocks installed that way on Montes. 

Dan

20180415_122440.jpg

20200927_205740.jpg

• Like 1