Any idea why this hole is here?

jgrimmy

I'm replacing both rear quarters and the rear deck filler panel on a customers 72.  This is a one owner low mileage unmolested car.

After removing the original filler panel I found this hand cut hole under it. It's located just ahead of the drivers side trunk hinge.   It's crudely cut and there are little curly cues at the the corners which indicate to me it was cut from the top. 

I cannot find any reason for this being cut out at the factory.  Any ideas?

Thanks

John

IMG_E8129.JPG

IMG_E8131.JPG

I appreciate the comments guys. This hole is cut in the panel beneath the deck filler panel. The trunk torsion springs would prevent it from being cut out from the bottom. It’s a one owner car, my customer bought it brand new in 72 and the deck filler panel is the original. It had to be cut out prior to the filler panel being installed. I just can’t fathom why. I don’t intend on patching it, there really is no reason to and it can’t be seen once the new filler panel is in place. 

I understand that the deck lid torsion rods pass underneath this opening.

If you were to lay in the trunk with you head directly under it, would you see the opening when looking straight up?

23 minutes ago, Paul Bell said:

I understand that the deck lid torsion rods pass underneath this opening.

If you were to lay in the trunk with you head directly under it, would you see the opening when looking straight up?

Yes you can. It’s way forward and a little awkward to get in a position to see it. Here is a picture from inside the trunk. The trunk opening is at the bottom of the picture for reference. 

4A2210F9-4AAF-4FF8-8589-FB76D792609A.jpeg

Ok, here is my spin on this and is only speculation as I have seen back in the day when we had Brand new cars come in to the dealer to sell. That they had to get bodywork repairs even before they were sold new due to transport damage or Factory errors....

My guess is that when the car was finished and shipped to Dealer that upon arrival they noticed that the trunk lid when closed the left side Trunk lid arm bulged up on the deck lid filler panel slightly. But was easily seen on a brand new car, so off to the Dealership Bodyshop where they removed the filler panel after noticing the Trunk lid arm bracket was welded too high on one side. Off comes the filler panel and a lack of attention to quality repair was done as time was money..... they rip a tin hole on the panel and cut the welds and with the trunk lid closed the slip through that ripped opening a pair of Vice grips or tin grips positioning the arm in place under tension where it sits lower and tack weld it and leave the butcher job and install new filler panel and off to paint and sell or deliver to customer none the wiser as Bulge is now gone and looks as good as new as its technically still new..... 

Thats my 2 cents as I seen back in my GM days the bodyshops do some weird repairs on brand new cars, even the the grand nationals I witnessed brand new but already getting leaky T roof repairs and then sold as new still.......

Darren

I could belive  that Darren, I worked for olds back then and we did see some stuff that would amaze some people. Robbing parts off another car to get it out the door. I cant tell you haw many omegas I switched from manual steering to power steering because it came in wrong. Oh thise were the days.