71 vs 72 Radiator support cross bar

for some reason I can't load pictures but I discovered a difference between 71 and 72 radiator support cross bars.

The piece that the grill mounts to is notched on a 72  right in the area where the parking lot would be on the 72 grill..on on 71 it's not notched out 

I have been sorting through parts and organizing and cleaning up and just discovered this difference.

https://ibb.co/dsNdtYf

• Like 1

Jared, do you mean the core support itself?  The upper "tie" bar, where the upper grille bolts to is the same for 71-72. The lower "filler" panel, between the bumper and core support are also. The core support itself is  different between a 71 and 72. As you stated the 72 has holes in it for the turn signal light sockets to pass through. 

I looked at my 71 and 72 for the difference. The core supports look to be the same except for the hole on a 72 for the marker light socket. The brackets that go from the upper tie bar to the bumper filler that the headlight bezel srew into(body colored part)are different.the pictures are from the back side of core support the first one is 71 the second is 72.

KIMG0379.JPG

KIMG0384.JPG

• Like 1

Now to complicate things!!! Looked at our 71 4 speed car has the correct 71 style tie bar, car is a Baltimore built in Jan. Of 71 so it's an early car. Then looked at our other low mileage 71 also a Baltimore built car late 71 June of 71. The late built car has the 72 style tie bar. Is it possible they started using 72 parts early?the first picture is of the early car and second is of the late car.

KIMG0393.JPG

KIMG0395.JPG

• Like 1

I am not familiar with assembly manuals 1970 and up.  but the older assembly manuals have engineer notes at the bottom of the page and with the note the part number of the part being noted.  is there a note for part #10 in the assembly manual at the bottom of the page and initialed by an engineer?

I tried to find if change of part #10 showed up in parts catalog some how and when..  to see if part changed in 1971..

looked part in parts illustration catalog thru 1975 models,,REVISED april 1983,, showed part #10 (if I have right one) called BAR ASM, frt fdr tie in group 1.267

looked parts catalog Pass,Nova,Chevelle,Camaro,MonteCarlo, (for 1970 only) REVISED 6-1-70,,showed part #10 in group 1.267 has a part number of 70 Monte Carlo BAR ASSY front fender tie P/N 3955032.  Remember this book is only for the year 1970. 

looked in parts catalog Models Thru 1975 Effective April 1982 . . . In group 1.267 -- shows 71-72 Monte Carlo BAR ASSY front fender tie P/N 6261996.  (1970 was not listed for some reason.)

looked in Parts History Jan. 1, 1965 thru Jan. 1, 1973 (Is a book of part number changes and the date they changed or were removed.)  Looked up part #3955032 (From 1970) and #3955032 was not listed.  So it was not removed or changed to another part number. 

looked in Parts History Jan. 1, 1965 thru Jan. 1, 1973 -- Looked up part #6261996 which is the 71-72 fender tie part number.  #6261996 use 3982406 12-71.  So what this shows is that part #6261996 was changed to #3982406 in date of 12-71 (December of 1971). 

Looking these part numbers up doesn't mean it actually happened.  It just gives an idea of what Chevrolet was doing and put in print. 

I will have to try to find an assembly manual somewhere to help verify.

Hope this makes sense and help someone.  Many times it only raises more questions. 

Thank you,

stano

Jared and Kevin (714024SPEED) already showed with pics that the 71 to 72 tie bar assy is different  for each year. Physically.

The new question is when they started installing them. Kevin's late 71, June of 71, low milage original has the 72 tie bar.

The early 71, January of 71, has the correct for 71 tie bar. I'm sure we have all heard of plants using up prior year parts on early (next) year cars but has anyone heard of using the next year's new designed parts on the year before (late in year) cars? 🤔

This helps the late 71 tie bar has the 6261996 bar and by the post above is probably correct. The early car has 3984277 that is the part number listed for 71. Thanks you learn something new about Monte's every day here !!!!

Jared. I am sure that is possible but has anyone heard of the newer year part on the year before car? 

We all know that the manufacturers have used up older year parts on newer cars.. visa versa? 

7 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Jared. I am sure that is possible but has anyone heard of the newer year part on the year before car? 

We all know that the manufacturers have used up older year parts on newer cars.. visa versa? 

Thomas,  I would say yes.  There are some 70 Monte's that had the 71/72 vinyl top trim.  The 70 had the full halo with the front  having body color between the trim and the windshield trim but on the 71/72 the vinyl roof material went all the way up under the windshield trim.  Some of the plants ran out to the 70 "Full Halo" trim and started using the 71/72 trim

rob

Yes Rob.

You are correct with the vinyl top trim. From what I have seen it was more of a mid year change in 70. The early cars having the halo and later 70s  not. 

I guess the tie bar can be like that. Why tho? The vinyl top was, if you will, needed. Why put the 72 tie bar on the later 71s? 

Again, that's like the difference between the 70 to 71 front bumper bracket. The 70 is flat and the 71 has a "bump" for the rectangle turn signals. So then why used on the 72 also? No turn signals there. Could have gone back to the 70 flat style.

Just more questions that make you go hmmmmmmmmm 🤔 lol

Thomas,

The Full Halo change was NOT a mid year 70 change.  That same trim was used on the two tone painted cars.  My 70 Baltimore Plant Monte is a late built car and it has the Full Halo trim.  From research we did years ago it was decided that it was a change over more toward the end of production and only at some plants.  It seems the Baltimore Plant seems to have carried the Full Halo trim most of the way to the end of production.  My Monte is a June 1970 produced car with the Full Halo

rob

• Like 1

That's interesting Rob.

I have had a few 70s, built in Baltimore with the full top trim. My first Monte was a 70, built in May. Cranberry red, black cloth bench, 350 2bbl, with the hubcaps you like,  black vinyl FULL top. 

Just saying. 

• Like 1

Thomas, Just a thought.  Is it possible they could have been added by a dealer.  I think a dealer added vinyl top may not be a "Full Halo".  I am not saying that is what happened, just wondering.

rob

Rob, anything is possible but I have had quite a few Baltimore  built 70s with the full vinyl top trim purchased from different areas of the East coast. Most likely another interesting question we will never truly know the real deal about. 

20 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Rob, anything is possible but I have had quite a few Baltimore  built 70s with the full vinyl top trim purchased from different areas of the East coast. Most likely another interesting question we will never truly know the real deal about. 

We also have to keep in mind that at these plants they had multiple lines running at the same time.  I guess it would also be possible that one or more of these lines could run out of the 70 trim and switch over to the 71 trim but who really knows.  I have a couple build sheets for my car and while it does not have a vinyl top it was a two tone painted car that used the exact vinyl roof trim as a vinyl top car.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could go back in time and be able to see in person some of the things that happened on those assembly lines.

rob

• 4 weeks later...

discovered the notch out in the 72 upper tie bar years ago ,needed to clear the 72 grille , could late 71 cars have this new 72 upper tie bar for sure it is called a running change , worked 25 years building parts for production cars , could tell a million stories , if you new what i know about airbags you would drive with a helmet

Leo