New Guy Here

jft69z

I was just going by the article at the time, specifically due to the bigger transmission. They were using a 'Pypes' system on that car. They eliminated the X & put a H in behind the crossmember I think in part because of the crossmember they had used (G-Force). I was actually sort of looking at the Pypes system despite the X pipe deal, but after looking at the website recently I didn't like how the tailpipes seemed to be a straight shot out back.

After I saw the one Gold Monte at Carlisle, I asked what system was on the car and the young man knew exactly what was on there (Flowmaster 40 is what he said). The tailpipes just seemed to tuck in real nice compared to some of the other systems out there? They had the turn down ends on there that came out just below the bumper, so you couldn't really see any of the tailpipe from the side view. That's how I like them, out of sight from the side.

Like you mentioned earlier regarding the factory type of hangers, I think that is going to tuck the whole system up a bit more than the Flowmaster supplied hangers too. I'll know more in a few days when the hangers come in tomorrow or Friday. Bumper should be here from Summit tomorrow.

The links below showed everything, but I noticed now that they really condensed the online article, plus took all the pictures out. It's too bad, they really were pretty good.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/surgery-without-scars-5

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/surgery-without-scars-6

As usual, more hurdles. AMD rear bumper & 1 exhaust hanger came from Summit (other from Amazon is OK). Wrong hanger in the correctly labeled bag, and bumper is pretty wavy/rippled on the right side. They're really good about it though and are sending new parts out today. Typical with this whole project, 2 steps forward, 4 steps back...

• Like 1

Not a real fan of that club Willie, but I just keep chipping away regardless.

Todays other drama so far was getting the power brake booster/master cylinder set up properly. Picked up one of those 'Right Stuff' boosters with the Delco stamp. No adjustable push rod though & it's about .070" too long & was pushing on the M/C piston, not good. Checked another old booster I had in the attic (in stock :lol:) and same thing, no adjustable rod. Ended up cutting the longer one they supplied and rounded the end. Double checked the dimensions and now have the recommended .020" clearance when the M/C is bolted to the booster. Picked up a new M/C this morning too, same dimensions as the old one. It's always something...

Yup always something!!!! LOL   I don't remember where I got mine, but I know I didn't have a problem with the push rod.

Keep on punching.....

• Like 1

Been a busy couple of days. Got the dash pretty much installed and wired up including the stereo, ECM, Dakota Dash module, EFI interface module for dash, alarm, etc.

Also got the brake booster, steering column mounted, steering shaft, backdrive linkage, headers (trimmed header gaskets, just looked like crap otherwise, lol), spark plugs & ignition wires. Determined I needed to add a vacuum signal to the fuel regulator so bent one out of 1/4" stainless tube (in stock) and tacked it to the fuel line (initial info from Holley tech said not needed, but more research seems to counter that, including Holley's own forum resident tech).

Next will be exhaust, but can't seem to get the correct left side hanger from Summit. Right part number on the bag, wrong part inside. Ordered from a different source, should be here Wednesday, fingers crossed.

After the exhaust will be to test the wiring system & program the ECM, Dakota dash and alarm system. After that, should be able to fire up the engine to see if it runs. If it's like everything else with this job, it'll find a way to fight me.

Still need to finish the front light harness, but will hang the fenders real quick to get an accurate lay of the harness, and will probably make up the A/C hoses as well. Going to run one line  up under the core support with the front light harness so it doesn't drape across the alternator. Should look a lot neater that way, but just had to buy some bulk hose and fittings to make that happen.

20200705_210305.jpg

20200705_210421.jpg

20200704_150833.jpg

20200705_213835.jpg

20200705_210853.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Bob! I got it from Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-rpb1001

They also have it without the 'Delco Moraine' stamp - RPB1003; or with the upside down stamp RPB1008

Amazon has them too from the look of it, pretty much same prices.

Great pic's and great progress, even with the few speed bumps you've  had. That dash looks great, can't wait to see it lit up. Did you fab that fuel line to the carb or is it a stock piece ? 

Thanks guys, it's been a busy week (still managed to get my after dinner naps in though, lol).

I made the 3/8" stainless line to the carb from the pressure regulator as well Mark. Just polished it real quick with 'SemiChrome' polish Actually, I ended up making all the fuel lines, front to back.

(That clamp is crooked because it's loose, ground cable is going to attach under that bolt).

20200705_210839.jpg

• Like 1

Second AMD bumper arrived today, it's worse than the first. Looks like someone took an angle grinder to it in multiple places and they chromed right over it. THird one is on its way from Summit... typical for this build.

Third AMD bumper came today, worse than the first two. Deep disc grind marks all over. Not just sand scratches, deep divots where the disc wheel sat and removed material. Probably 20 spots, easy. Second one had them all over too, maybe a couple less. First one is the best of the bunch. What now? Try 'Restoparts brand or just lower my expectations and keep the first one. Original intent was to use this until my original gets back from chrome, could be 8 weeks or more and keep the aftermarket as a spare/driver until then.

On a good note, the third, left side exhaust hanger just came, this time from RockAuto. Right part in the right bag. Small victory, :yay:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Ughhhh. AMD WTH!?!?🤔

HOORAY!!!!!! on your hanger victory!!!

LOL, really!

So I put the first bumper back on the car to use as a guide to start hanging the exhaust. Won't fit like the second, crappy one did (which actually fit pretty good). Had to use a port-a-power with the small clam/spreader attachment to open up the 'U' sections a bit.  They were actually just about touching the tail light extensions, super tight fit, but I had plenty of masking tape on the bumper. OK, that's solved.....then I notice the left side hangs a little low. Hmmmm, ...turns out the square stamped holes for the bumper bracket bolts aren't even on both sides. The left side ones are stamped considerably higher than the right side by enough of a difference that I can see it. This just keeps getting better.....

4 hours ago, jft69z said:

What now? Try 'Restoparts brand or just lower my expectations and keep the first one. Original intent was to use this until my original gets back from chrome, could be 8 weeks or more and keep the aftermarket as a spare/driver until then.

On a good note, the third, left side exhaust hanger just came, this time from RockAuto. Right part in the right bag. Small victory, :yay:

Just my .02 since your just waiting on the chrome shop try another vendor for your spare bumper. Be a shame to have something in the shop as a spare that piss's you off every time you see it. While your playing wack a mole with bumper shipping one might turn up in the classifieds . 

Congrats on the small victory, but its still a victory ! 

• Like 1

You're right Mark. I'll call Summit and see what they say. If they're willing to send a Restoparts one, I'll try it. Ship date is a couple of weeks away on it though, so I'd keep the crap one until that one comes. Plus it'll be a price match with OPGI as it's considerably cheaper than Summit has listed. Even if OPGI has it, they're so slow on shipping, I won't see it for weeks anyways.

Edit: So I called Summit up (those people are just wonderful) and they're going to send a Restoparts bumper. It'll take a couple of weeks from the look of it, but I'll just have to get the exhaust done in the next few days so I can send their third one back.

If I had to guess, they probably all come from the same place in Taiwan anyways, it just depends on which box they end up in...

• Like 1

Hey Joe, sorry to heart of your bumper dilemma. Mine was from AMD also and I know its wavy but I don't remember seeing any grind marks.   I will check better tomm.    Now I might have to get my originals rechromed just to not have to deal with this.  

They have ripples near the tail light opening, diagonal towards the license plate opening. I could say it was a stamping mark, but each bumper was different, The first one was worse in that regard on the right side & partly why I rejected it (in addition to hazy chrome near there, and the poor fitment due to poorly stamped bolt holes that I noticed later). The other ones have it to some degree, but the deep grind marks, sand scratches, and poor/dull chrome on the 2nd one especially were the deciding factors on those being rejected. It almost looks like they used a grinder to remove some of those ripples, but whoever was on the grinder was a hack and made it worse.

I don't expect 'show quality' chrome for $250, but the quality of these are even less than daily driver quality in my eyes. The third one had those deep grinder divots all along the top edge too, just staring you in the face.

Had I known about it before, I would have looked at yours closer in Carlisle. You would have known if yours had the deep grind marks though, even Ray Charles could see them...

bumper-rear-1970-72-monte-carlo-m240148.jpg