New Guy Here

jft69z

2 hours ago, 420ponies said:

Just to let you know Joe, my rear bumper is from Konink's Klassik's here on our website. would be coming from Michigan.You could give Leo a shout.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

That's a thought too, James.

At the time, I figured AMD, one & done. Since then, ...well you see what's happened. My other thought at the time, was if they're bad, Summit has a pretty good return policy. I wouldn't want Leo to have to eat the return shipping, especially 3 times as in this case. Hopefully the 'Restoparts' one is acceptable and move forward from there (and 2 steps back on something else, lol)

Joe, I think you will find that Leo looks at all his stuff Before he ships them out. Enough said.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg  And I hate the 2 step thing also. I put new Eddie Motorsport hood hinges on  mine before the meet and now one side pooped and my hood is all sideways on the car

IMG_2085.jpeg

IMG_2082.jpeg

34 minutes ago, 420ponies said:

Joe, I think you will find that Leo looks at all his stuff Before he ships them out. Enough said.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg  And I hate the 2 step thing also. I put new Eddie Motorsport hood hinges on  mine before the meet and now one side pooped and my hood is all sideways on the car

Oh wow! I remember looking at those hinges at the show. It didn't scratch the paint anywhere, did it?

NOT YET!!  It happened as I was going to close it. I heard a "pop" and that"s what happened. surprisingly I can close just like the pictures and nothing happens. It's in the up position(with moving blankets all over the car) until They get a hold of me. No response yet to my email and it's been a week so far. The brackets are not bent, Can't believe that. I'm hoping to call them if no answer this week.

Damn, that's just scary. If it was me, it would have ruined the hood, both fenders, crack the windshield and find a way to ruin the trunk lid too, lol

• Like 1

Been working on the exhaust a couple of hours a day (after working the last 4 nightshifts).

Got everything welded on the H-pipe and fitted pretty tight up under the car. The Flowmaster H-pipe section was going to hit the driveshaft though (currently getting made locally at Denny's Driveshaft). Found a nice piece of curved pipe in the attic from a Corvette job I did years ago and zipped it on after bracing up the pipes to keep them from moving around.

One step closer to firing this thing up soon now that the exhaust is basically done. Will need to fine tune it a little when the rear bumper is in permanently, but this will be good enough for now.

20200712_142307.jpg

20200712_153252.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Rob. I bought a shop that came with a house on the property basically. Pretty much bare walls and a couple of lights at the time, but I saw the potential. Unbeknownst to me at the time, it turned out that my buddy Doug (who was at Carlisle with me) was the one who built it for his uncle that used it as a wood working business. I found that out later, but it worked out good as he also helped when we put the addition on a few years later.

Put the fenders & wheelhouses' on real quick to run the A/C lines. Got them all cut to length & crimped the ends on. Pulling a vacuum and it looks good so far. Plan to run the heater hoses behind the fender to clean it up a little, but that's still up for debate.

Finished running the exhaust, will tweak the tail pipe length when I get the bumper mounted permanent, but it's pretty darn close right now.

Powered up the car with a jump box the other night to check out the wiring job. No issues at all, everything worked and didn't make any smoke :grin:. Also played around with the Dakota dash for a few minutes, but it was late and called it quits. I'll run the hoses, battery cables, etc then power up the ECM and start programming that soon. Hope to maybe have it running in the near future.  Plan to pop the fenders back off for that, just a couple of bolts and it'll be a lot easier to check things out. Things like setting the distributor with the ECM, adjusting the fuel pressure, check for leaks, etc.

Almost starting to resemble a car again.

20200714_133336.jpg

20200714_132023.jpg

20200714_132010.jpg

• Like 3

Yes Rob, it is a lot of work. Luckily I have a girlfriend that is really cool about it.

Yeah Steve, I talked to you a few times during the weekend, lol.

So, true to form it looks like the A/C Clutch cycling switch may be bad. Can't seem to adjust it to 21 psi on falling pressure. It's either 23.5 psi or it won't shut off at all on the adjustment. My prior life as an Instrument Tech won't let me accept a couple of pounds off on the calibration, lol. A couple of test instruments from that career came in handy today. Also calibrated the Snap-On gauge set while I was at it (both gauges were off a few pounds).

Looks like a call to Classic Auto Air in the morning to get a new one sent out. Typical.

20200714_220526.jpg

• Like 1

So the girlfriend asked me yesterday how many hours I have in the job, told her probably a thousand so far. Added it up today just for grins and I wasn't too far off at 979 hours, which doesn't include countless hours researching or ordering parts, travel time to chrome, parts runs, etc.

That sure is plenty of missed couch time...

Got home from work, tied up some loose ends and started adding fluids to the car. Set the fuel pressure, vacuum filled the cooling system, primed the oil pump for a couple of minutes, put the distributor back and adjusted it for the ECM. Turned the key and after a couple of shots it fired up and ran. Not perfect, it'll need some tuning but for the first time in probably 25 years that motor came back to life and sounded pretty good.

I'll play around some more tonight with the laptop and see what happens.

20200717_210310.jpg

20200717_220042.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah, there was a little smoke, lol. I didn't run it long enough to burn off the fresh exhaust pipes yet though.  

Lol Willie, not likely. Was hoping to get something done tonight but had to go home after working 12 hours today and be back in a few hours for 8 more hours until morning.

Then there's that small matter of no chrome parts....:cry2:

Spent a few minutes this morning playing with the car. Had to put a new thermostat in as the old one wasn't playing nice. Also dumped a different tune in the ECM, seems to run and idle under it's own power much better now compared to the initial one (first one wouldn't idle under 1100 without stalling).

Also had an O2 sensor fail after the first day or so. They're warrantying it, but I got another one coming from Summit tomorrow as a spare. Good thing I decided to wire in the second one to the ECM or it would have been dead in the water. I hear the Holley/Bosch sensors have a high fail rate, naturally the black cloud parked over my place again, lol

Don't know if that crappy video will work or not.

Sure, why not. But it makes the grass grow...I like it dry, dead & brown...less to cut. (I used to have a deal with the neighbor, he cut the grass, I plow the driveways in winter. Now he's sick and I have to do both).

I took the vid with the cell phone (android) but had drama playing it unless it was with WindowsMediaViewer. I'll try again with a different camera in a day or so. Need to get it warmed up again to check the valve lash anyways. I set them cold (with compensation) at the time & it's the factory LS6 solid lifter cam. They should be pretty close, but I'll check.

Hey Joe, I took the liberty, at least trying to upload your video will see if it works. While your build skills are impressive I can't say the same for your videographer skills (lmao) Of course you can blame me for quality after the conversion too. Looking forward to the next version and how about a shot of that dash? Monte sounds nice ! 

• Haha 1

Lol...Thanks Mark. It doesn't play the sound thru the page, but works if I download it. Could be the computer here at work though. The jump box was to spin the fuel pump by itself to set the fuel pressure initially. Got a good view of the floor & exhaust hoses though! Still need to dial down the idle speed a little too, I was just happy it wasn't stalling at this point and idling on its own.

I'm off a couple of days after tonight, I'll try to get a couple of better ones then. The one straight from the phone was poor right off the bat. It was also a .3gp video extension, so I changed it to .mpeg as well. That seemed to at least let it load on the website.