New Guy Here

jft69z

• 2 weeks later...

So as usual, 2 steps forward, 5 steps back....

Picked up the driveshaft from Denny's a couple of days ago, thing of beauty.

Engine is back together, waiting to put it back in after I install the front windshield. Started lining everything up and noticed the new rear window doesn't sit flat, and it's off by a lot (almost 1/2" warped). Put the original one in there & it fits perfect. Even splitting the difference between the 2 opposite corners won't work in my opinion. Called Auto City Glass and they're looking into it, hopefully they resolve it pretty quick. As it sits, no way it'll seal properly, nor would the trim fit correctly.

Just another case of the bad karma monster kicking me in the sack. Hell, I don't even feel it anymore :cry:

Edit: Auto City Glass just called back, they're going to try a different manufacturer (Pilkington). They'll hand pick a good one, double check it before date coding and hope to have it out in a day or two. Pretty good customer service so far.

20200903_102749.jpg

20200903_101011.jpg

20200903_100957.jpg

20200903_094230.jpg

• Like 1

I got my rear glass in 2013 when we did our 72.  It also sits high on the drivers side. Talked to my local glass guy and he said he has seen a lot of the after market rears this do that.  He said he was told it happens when they temper it

I certainly got one of those Larry. I measured over 1/2 inch though, pretty extreme. I sent a bunch of pictures to Auto City, some on the flat steel welding table with a steel rule to measure, and they immediately agreed it's a problem.

Can't say enough on how quick they handled it so far though. I got a FedEx tracking number an hour ago, supposed to be here on Saturday. They must have picked it, date coded it & sent it right out. Can't ask for any more than that for customer service response.

When 'Dave' first started the conversation, he said they sell a lot of them, no problems. Then he went in the back and some of the other guys said indeed, they have seen some bad ones like that. That's when he decided to send a different brand. Hopefully it'll be fine, I've had enough drama with this little project.

Well sitting here with my "beer is half full" outlook glasses on........... I will say you've had great luck on returning items .......I always sweat that. As you've posted before, summit (in my experience) is great to work with, I returned 2 mis ordered u-joints and got full refund and wasn't charged return shipping.

Keep plugging away dude, btw drive shaft looks great ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

Well sitting here with my "beer is half full" outlook glasses on........... I will say you've had great luck on returning items ...….

Lol, now that was funny! Thank you Mark!

Hey Joe, sorry about the glass. But that driveshaft looks fantastic!!!!!  I have a question, what is that red spot on the floor? Is that 5 steps back?  Welcome to my world Buddy!!

Really she looks GREAT you have been doing an incredible job!!!!!   Keep it up!!!

I had the same problem with Auto City Glass. This was years ago. Went through two of them. Mine was warped up top. I’m sure they know they have problems with the rear glass but they keep on selling them. Get your money back and try a local glass dealer. I got lucky and got One of the last PPG glass. Both front and rear. Good luck.

38 minutes ago, willie said:

Hey Joe, sorry about the glass. But that driveshaft looks fantastic!!!!!  I have a question, what is that red spot on the floor? Is that 5 steps back?  Welcome to my world Buddy!!

Really she looks GREAT you have been doing an incredible job!!!!!   Keep it up!!!

Thanks Willie! I think that's blood dripping out of my butthole at this point, lol

36 minutes ago, MC-71 said:

I had the same problem with Auto City Glass. This was years ago. Went through two of them. Mine was warped up top. I’m sure they know they have problems with the rear glass but they keep on selling them. Get your money back and try a local glass dealer. I got lucky and got One of the last PPG glass. Both front and rear. Good luck.

Thanks for the input Carl, hopefully the Pilkington they send tomorrow will fit proper.

They've been real good so far, and they worked with me initially on the front W/S because some members had issues with the antenna connector not fitting correctly. They were aware of the issue and made sure I got a good one. The other reason I used them was they can date code the windows, though it's really not a necessity, especially with the non-stock type of build I'm doing here. It's just something I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

Been plugging along. Put the front seats together (side and back panels, seat tracks, etc). The chrome piping came from Ames Pontiac parts and fit great. The other ones I got from Legendary & available elsewhere are too small & don't fit good. These replicate the factory ones perfectly. These are the 'Rally' seat covers that Legendary offers, with a little more bolster on the bottom & sides. Pretty subtle, but definitely more comfortable, at least to me it seems that way.

Got the windows & trim installed, the engine is back in and running, the bulk of the interior is installed now except the dash pad, front door panels and bolting the front seats down. Got rear bumper & trunk lid on too.

Got the driveshaft installed and ran thru the gears, all appears to work with the transmission so far (at least on the lift).

During the trans test, noticed  issues with the brakes holding and turned out to be a bad proportioning valve (it was new). Also, the  repop 'Delco Moraine' booster unit just isn't providing enough power assist. Called them up & they're sending a replacement one, but that's on a slow boat from China apparently, will be at least a month away. Also getting an OEM brake booster made from an outfit in California that deals with these. He's fully aware of what's needed for the vacuum requirement of the LS6, and has a bunch of them out there that work great. Maybe the repop ones just aren't designed to work that low? (15 in hg at idle) I used the vacuum pump for my A/C work and the more vacuum I applied to the booster, the more pressure at the wheels recorded  (used the SnapOn brake pressure test kit to monitor front & rear pressures).

Got the rest of chrome back yesterday & it looks great. Buffed out the trunk & front fenders and will be putting the front end together in the next week or so.

Also put a different starter on today, a GM Perf parts unit that Mark has on his 502 crate motor. Turns out that spins the motor the fastest and plays best with the fuel injection & dual sync distributor to get the sync signal to initiate spark. Thanks for the part number Mark!

Pics of the back seat/ rear interior are in the other camera.

Had a little helper before putting the windshield in too.

20200827_224324.jpg

20200914_125346.jpg

20200914_183026.jpg

20200914_183031.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks guys, it's certainly been a long journey. Started putting the fenders back on this afternoon, hope to be driving it fairly soon. Lot of overtime scheduled though, so I'll just keep plugging away a little at a time.

20200920_205123.jpg

• Like 3

Wow!!!  Is it for sale lol...  Such a great thread and I'm so glad I stumbled on it.  The amount of work in such a short period is incredible, it's beautiful and sounds amazing.  Keep the pictures coming because I'm sure we all can't wait to see it finished.  BEAUTIFUL car!

11 hours ago, DDay said:

Wow!!!  Is it for sale lol...  

Not Yet Don, but a few more aggravations may change that decision, lol. Still putting the front sheet metal, 'Parts Place' plastic wheelhouses, etc in place. Need to buff out the hood & place that so I can line up the fenders, mount lower trim, etc. Minor setback (as usual), the grill had to go back to chrome shop, so another week or two before I get that back.

Thank you for the kind words as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Hang in there Joe, keep up the good work. Would love to see that baby at Syracuse nationals next summer. 

Thanks Steve!

Not sure if we planned for Syracuse yet, but definitely have the Chevy Nats at Carlisle scheduled again for next year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 420ponies said:

You've got to stop making some members drool over build!! Looks great!!post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

Thanks James. You guys are more than welcome to come over and help & have a cold drink :2beers:.

OverTime ???? Ching Ching , more $$$$$ for the Monte lol. Since I don't mind spending your money, and no I'm not taking the hit for the starter price I got another suggestion. I did the LED tail light conversion on mine, for me I was more worried about brake lights down here in sunny fl (except the last month it seems where it rains everyday). My buddy who's been helping me and depleting his "in stock" parts liked mine so much he got a set for his 69 camaro. Since summer is almost over I'm NOT volunteering to come up and turn wrench's with ya lol

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, DragCat said:

. Since I don't mind spending your money, and no I'm not taking the hit for the starter price .........Since summer is almost over I'm NOT volunteering to come up and turn wrench's with ya lol

That starter wasn't cheap Mark, lol

The weather today was nice, about 80 degrees. Supposed to go downhill starting tomorrow, 50's and 60's for the foreseeable future. I'll book you a flight!!

The new brake booster came today from Mike at 'brakeboosters.com'. Looks good & packaged up exceptionally well. Hope to put it on tomorrow and see if the brakes are better. 

That being said, I also got the replacement booster from 'the Right Stuff' the other day, new in the box if someone wants it for pretty cheap. The one in the car is good in all actuality too, it just can't handle the lower vacuum the LS6 makes, so if someone wants that, you can have it even cheaper. I still have the original box for that one too. I'll post them in the for sale section if nobody here responds.

New one from 'Brakeboosters.com':

20200928_135111.jpg

New/replacement one from "The Right Stuff":

20200928_173158.jpg

20200928_173259.jpg