New Guy Here

jft69z

Still putting things on the car, but haven't lined up the front sheet metal. Got the stereo, sub-woofer & speakers all hooked up.

Today's fun was to paint the bullet style passenger mirror & the front grill. The grill took the better part of the day and was, well basically a suck job. First had to fill some of the pits that were still in the inner areas. Then cut out 60 pieces of manila folder to mask the chrome front so I could paint the rest Argent Silver. Also painted the front signal & tail light bezels black where they needed to be done.

Been dreading this day, but figured I might as well just do it and be over with it, sort of. Turns out the grill I got from Jared a few months ago is actually in quite better shape, so it's at the chrome shop right now. I'll use this grill for now, but will turn it into a spare if something gets damaged on the better one down the road. This means I'll get to do this whole job again when the other one gets done in about 6 weeks.

Time to buff out the hood and start lining up the front metal, bumpers, etc. next. 

20201010_103629.jpg

20201010_111820.jpg

20201010_132704.jpg

20201010_144144.jpg

20201010_180337.jpg

20201010_213027.jpg

• Like 3

Wow the patience you must have. I would have paint everywhere and spent 3 days doing that and probably still launched it in the yard and ran over it with my tractor. And then have to fix the tractor. Well done

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Wow the patience you must have. I would have paint everywhere and spent 3 days doing that and probably still launched it in the yard and ran over it with my tractor. And then have to fix the tractor. Well done

I learned a long time ago not to throw things, that just doubled the work, Lol. It certainly sucked though, and left me with a stiff neck this morning from all the sanding and masking those holes at odd positions.

I like the bullet style mirrors much better than my stock ones. I'll X2 on your patience, I might not have thrown it but I would definitely had paint everywhere. And X2 on Pauls comment, when its done I definitely won't be parking next to you ! 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to getting done with this too, but are they ever really done? Still a fairly long way to go, even after the final assembly. Then it'll be trying to find a tire size that looks good, tune the fuel injection and transmission tune to run decent, tweak the dash settings to get useful info on the displays, etc. Won't be getting back to my quality couch time any time soon.

Then there's the small matter of me stripping the paint off & doing it my way when I retire....

Got most of the interior bolted down. Left the door panels and dash pad off for now in case the windows/doors need any more adjustments after putting the hood on, or any more little things under the dash. Fenders are lined up enough to get the hood placed, just waiting for some help to move it around. Also put some lower trim on last night, trying to make sure it will line up the entire length of the car.

Also used the porta-power to put the springs on the hinges. Easy money, no drama.

20201014_130557.jpg

20201014_130959.jpg

20201014_130659.jpg

20201014_130753.jpg

20201014_130821.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Dennis. If you need more bolts, ask before you order anything, I'll have a lot left over from those master kits.

So, true to form....tried putting the hood on today & it won't bolt up to the Ames hood hinges. Square peg/round hole as far as the hood bolt slots. Got a call into them, they're checking to see if the wrong ones maybe got shipped. Looking at online pics of it though, may not work.  My buddy says, "surprised You didn't find that earlier, you check everything". Told him I didn't think I needed to in this case. Another kick in the sack. 

Knew I shouldn't have said anything yesterday about the hood being no big deal....

20201015_132655.jpg

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

So, true to form....tried putting the hood on today & it won't bolt up to the Ames hood hinges. Square peg/round hole as far as the hood bolt slots. Got a call into them, they're checking to see if the wrong ones maybe got shipped. Looking at online pics of it though, may not work.  My buddy says, "surprised You didn't find that earlier, you check everything". Told him I didn't think I needed to in this case. Another kick in the sack. 

Knew I shouldn't have said anything yesterday about the hood being no big deal....

20201015_132655.jpg

Ouch. Mine is coming 

30 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Ouch. Mine is coming 

Hopefully not, nobody can have as much bad luck as I've had on this project. I must have been a much bigger a**hole in my prior life than even now, for the bad karma to keep biting me, lol

24 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Damn dude, will it ever end ? 😲Now this Karma cloud gives me another reason NOT to park next to you, and do me a favor loose my number 🤣 

Sure, kick me while I'm down Mark, lol. Chances are, if you parked next to me, my car would spontaneously combust and burn them both down at this rate anyways.

I ordered a set of AMD (my favorite place..remember the bumper debacle?) hinges from Summit, hopefully they'll be here in a day or so. Really a kick in the butt though as I needed the hood on to line everything else up. After that, it was a spin around the block to see if it drives ok. No doubt a drunk driver would smash into me as I turn the corner though, so at least I'm putting off the inevitable for a few more days, hahaha.

So I guess the new hinges worked. Looks awesome. I can only hope mine turns out that nice. Still love the doggo. Can’t get mad with a puppy in the pic. O ya. It’s getting close to a congrats so I sent you a note in the mail  give a few days and follow the instructions I sent. Cheers

Edited by Dtret
  • Like 1

Thanks Dennis! I used the AMD hinges. Not quite as nice as the Ames ones, but then again, these fit a Monte. Still had the bend them a bit, not exactly perfect out of the box, but they work fine.

Actually, that's the dog who ate a throw rug in the house yesterday, still a little annoyed about that, but love her just the same.

I'll keep an eye out, Thanks!

Nice ! I left my grill out for a few days of driving, friend said she liked the look, like a shark lol. After a few days it looked unfinished to me so I put it back in. Looks like you got the dash pad in too. I enlarged the pic, man thats looking sharp! 

• Like 1

Thanks Mark! I set the dash pad in just loosely, no screws yet. Everything is lined up pretty fair, so tomorrow I'll tighten everything down on the sheetmetal, wheelhouses, etc. Probably put the door panels on too at this point, but need to mount the passenger side mirror too, so that may take a little time. "Measure twice-drill once".  I want to make some type of reinforcement for under the mirror like the factory typically uses on the driver side, or right side if it originally came with a mirror.

Pretty close to taking it for a spin, but looks like rain for the better part of the week. If nothing else, I'll work on some of the other cars to get them ready for winter's nap.

• Like 1

I'd measure 4 times before drilling lol. Rain has become a four letter word in my world lately, but they forecast we are supposed to have a dry spell soon. I can only hope. Got to be excited tho to be close to taking a spin, I splurged for some imported beer for the eve of my maiden voyage. 

• Like 1

Joe she looks very sharp!!!!!!

I"ll park next to you anytime, after all, my car will allow yours to look that much better. LOL   You are doing a great job, she is beautiful!!!

I still cant find that damn clip, but i am still looking.

• Like 1

Thanks Willie. I appreciate it! Your car is too nice, I'll park down the road, lol.

No hurry on the clips, I mounted the bezels today & the screws hold them in pretty tight without the clips.