New Guy Here

jft69z

Drove it around a bit today to insurance agent for pictures so they can put it under classic policy. Also stopped at paint store to get a Tan mix for the stainless vinyl top trim. Then drove it to Buffalo to get an actual appraisal for a higher value than insurance would normally allow, should get that value in a few days. In all, put about 55 miles on the car today without any problems.

Added up the labor since I picked it up last January, totaled about 1403 hours. Looking back, that's a lot of couch time I'll never get back 😒

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Had to feel good taking it out. It came out great, fantastic work you did on it congratulations.

Thanks a lot Steve!

It actually drives pretty good, no complaints. Still need to get an alignment, but it steers straight as it is. Plus it was nearly 80 degrees today, windows down. That's all about to change tonight ☹️

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jft69z said:

Drove it around a bit today to insurance agent for pictures so they can put it under classic policy. Also stopped at paint store to get a Tan mix for the stainless vinyl top trim. Then drove it to Buffalo to get an actual appraisal for a higher value than insurance would normally allow, should get that value in a few days. In all, put about 55 miles on the car today without any problems.

Added up the labor since I picked it up last January, totaled about 1403 hours. Looking back, that's a lot of couch time I'll never get back 😒

Ya but now look at all the drive time you’ll get. They aren’t worth the work when we’re doing them but it sure seems worth it in the end. Just think if you would have paid someone to do it. A lot of people can’t do what you did. That’s a hell of an accomplishment. Relish it. 

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Just think if you would have paid someone to do it. 

That would have never happened, lol. Thank you Dennis!

• 3 weeks later...

Took advantage of the 75 degree weather to degrease & pressure wash the original 402 motor today. Figured now's a great time rather than when it's cold and crappy out. The plan is to pop the oil pan and heads maybe & see what's in there. Button it back up, paint it & make it into a table to replace the one that started this whole journey (pictured table engine is in the car now).

Yes, for the very observant of you, 2 different engine stands today. Didn't want to hose down the good one, lol

20201110_123029.jpg

20201110_123019.jpg

20201110_145225.jpg

end table.jpg

• Like 1

That second stand is nasty. Keeps that motor up well. My stand makes my engine droop like an old hound dog. I got some exhaust manifolds you can put on the engine table. Good for knee knockers. 

The stand with the hand crank came from Summit. I put better wheels on it, but other than that, it works real good.

No thanks on the knee knockers, lol. Already enough stuff around here that I bump into.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jft69z said:

The stand with the hand crank came from Summit. I put better wheels on it, but other than that, it works real good.

No thanks on the knee knockers, lol. Already enough stuff around here that I bump into.

I bump into so much stuff that Karen says she’s going to wrap me in bubble wrap 🤪

• Haha 1

glass top looks a little small, i'd definitely whack a shin on the balancer lol. I picked up a open box craftsman top box back in the day and had a friend who does commercial glass cut a top for me. Knock on wood haven't ran into it yet

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

I bump into so much stuff that Karen says she’s going to wrap me in bubble wrap 🤪

Can't tell you how many times I've whacked my head on the lift (that may explain a few things...). Still remember the time a low hanging snow plow frame got me. Dropped me right to the ground, saw white lights flashing, lol.

I'll never be able to pull off the shaved head look, too many lumps😂

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

Can't tell you how many times I've whacked my head on the lift (that may explain a few things...). Still remember the time a low hanging snow plow frame got me. Dropped me right to the ground, saw white lights flashing, lol.

I'll never be able to pull off the shaved head look, too many lumps😂

I’ll bet I’ve had more concussions than a football player. I guess that’s why we work on cars????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

I’ll bet I’ve had more concussions than a football player. I guess that’s why we work on cars????

You're probably right, .... we're too brain dead to stop.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 7:28 PM, jft69z said:

Took advantage of the 75 degree weather to degrease & pressure wash the original 402 motor today. Figured now's a great time rather than when it's cold and crappy out. The plan is to pop the oil pan and heads maybe & see what's in there. Button it back up, paint it & make it into a table to replace the one that started this whole journey (pictured table engine is in the car now).

Yes, for the very observant of you, 2 different engine stands today. Didn't want to hose down the good one, lol

20201110_123029.jpg

20201110_123019.jpg

20201110_145225.jpg

end table.jpg

Looks like you’ve come full circle back to where it all started!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sbarnette said:

Looks like you’ve come full circle back to where it all started!

Exactly, lol. Almost like groundhog day....hopefully not.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I did much to the car, took some time off. After the recent discussion about locks and trunk cylinders, I ordered a power trunk latch kit from Year One. I have to say, they put a pretty decent little package together with the latch, wiring, connectors, & even some very good instruction sheets. Didn't use their switch, used one I had 'in stock' (though it's a later model yellow button). Had to make a small harness with relay to interface with the alarm/keyless entry, plus also work with the glovebox mounted switch. Works nice, no drama except for tearing the kick panel and back seat out again to run the wire.

Also got the 4 wheel disc setup delivered today from Baer, so that means more work in the near future, plus taking the driver side header off again to change the distribution valve to a 4 wheel disc setup.  More pics as that job progresses.

Got an email from Legendary Interiors a couple of months ago looking for shots of their stuff in a car. Figured why not. Turns out they put one of the pics of my seats on their 2021 catalog cover. Wonder if I get a future discount or residuals, lol.

20210122_124245.jpg

20210121_121925.jpg

20210122_125842.jpg

Legendary Catalog 2021.JPG

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Very nice...  Possible retirement income from the residual checks. 

Yeah, maybe I'll be eating mid level dog food instead of the cheap stuff....

That being said, I'm down to 2 'little helpers' now. Had to put the 13 year old, Bella to rest the other night. 😭

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Sure beats Gainsburgers and Spam. O my future🤪

Probably a step up from 'Old Roy's' though, lol

9 minutes ago, Dtret said:

At least you can buy old roys in bulk. And a big bag with fit in the trunk of your buick

I guess brown gravy or ketchup will make it better...

Thanks for the PM as well, much appreciated.