New Guy Here

jft69z

36 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Yeah, maybe I'll be eating mid level dog food instead of the cheap stuff....

That being said, I'm down to 2 'little helpers' now. Had to put the 13 year old, Bella to rest the other night. 😭

Sorry for your loss. they really are part of the family. 

4 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Sorry for your loss. they really are part of the family. 

Thanks Steve, she had a good life. Was a rescue from N. Carolina from the SPCA at the time. The other 2 don't seem to care, more biscuits for them apparently.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, willie said:

Joe the cover looks cool!!!!    Sorry about Bella. !3 years was good also.

Thank you Willie.

25 minutes ago, sbarnette said:

Sorry for your loss. I have a 13 year old rescue that’s starting to show his age. I hate to think about it, but I know the day is coming. 😢

Thank you Sam. We've sort of knew it was coming in hindsight, but went downhill literally in less than 1 day. They're real good about hiding pain apparently. Same with the one we lost nearly 2 years ago, the 8 year old, went downhill in that short a span as well. It sucks, they just don't live long enough.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:25 PM, jft69z said:

Hello There!

Been here for a few weeks and figured it was time to give a proper hello. My name is Joe T. and have loved Montes from an early age. First car was a 72 Monte, Mohave gold/black interior, 350. Sold that and found another 72 Monte Custom, Mohave gold/saddle interior this time when I was stationed at Keesler AFB on the Mississippi gulf coast in the early 80's. Built a 350 LT-1 motor for that in my barracks room (roommate wasn't too pleased). Eventually car ended up with a 4-speed setup and after that a GM crate motor 454 LS6. Time moves on and eventually turned the car back to stock, sold it in the mid-late 90's, but kept the 454, 4-speed parts & 12 bolt posi w/4.11 gears. VIN was 1H57H2R587886 btw if anyone knows whatever happened to it.

Well, the 454 was at my Mom's house for all those years but ended up at my shop after her passing last year. Now that thing has been staring at me like it needed a new home. Cleaned it all up and made a table out of it, but apparently that's not good enough... So the search began. Ended up finding another 72 Custom, same color scheme as the last one, but this one is a 402 BB, out of California. Car was delivered Monday, just before the blizzard we're presently having here in Western NY. Appears to be a numbers matching car so far, but someone put headers and a cam in it. Plans for the car are to probably pull the body off the frame to clean everything up real nice. Probably do a compression check on the motor before pulling it out to see the condition and decide from there its fate. May go back in, or may be an end table.

Car has the original window sticker, but not sure about a build sheet yet. Tried looking on the gas tank, but nothing obvious until I drop it (shoved a borescope camera along the top ribs but no luck). If anyone has a history of this one, the VIN is 1H57U2L542406

So far I've been pouring over the website sections and have gained a boatload of useful info specific to these cars, so thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Here's a few pics of the old one, the end table, and a couple of the new one, not much chance to get deep into it yet.

Thanks again for the info you guys share here and hopefully I can help others as well.

Joe T.

20190113_200926.jpg

20190113_200952.jpg

20190112_192011.jpg

20190129_142933.jpg

6250-MMS-1548017108184-attachment1-1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo5.jpg

20190129_142830.jpg

Very nice

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bob 71 said:

great cover shot congrats. sorry for your loss had to put the cat down earlier this month she lived 3 years longer than the vet predicted with cancer

Thanks Bob, sorry for your loss as well.

My wife Glendia is going to have to do something with my late in-laws dog. She is 17 yrs old and we have had her for 11 years now. I did not want them, she had sister who died 5 yrs ago, because whenever we go to any of our Eastern meets we have to board her and she is now peeing in the floor almost daily, cannot hear, is almost blind and has a very hard time getting up after sleeping all night. If my father in-law had lived longer the dog would have been dead a long time ago. He gave the dogs each a half can of dog food every morning, dry food in another bowl all day, treats all day long and food off of the table every time he sat down for a meal.  She gained a lot of weight Chihuahua weighing 17 lbs when we acquired her on his passing. She is now down to less then 9lbs. I know folks get attached to their pets which I understand but I am not one of those people. Sorry for your loss

58 minutes ago, Leghome said:

My wife Glendia is going to have to do something with my late in-laws dog. She is 17 yrs old and we have had her for 11 years now. I did not want them, she had sister who died 5 yrs ago, because whenever we go to any of our Eastern meets we have to board her and she is now peeing in the floor almost daily, cannot hear, is almost blind and has a very hard time getting up after sleeping all night. If my father in-law had lived longer the dog would have been dead a long time ago. He gave the dogs each a half can of dog food every morning, dry food in another bowl all day, treats all day long and food off of the table every time he sat down for a meal.  She gained a lot of weight Chihuahua weighing 17 lbs when we acquired her on his passing. She is now down to less then 9lbs. I know folks get attached to their pets which I understand but I am not one of those people. Sorry for your loss

Thanks Larry. The main thing we wrestle with is when is the right time to make that call in regards to putting them to rest. If the animal's quality of life is such that it is just an existence to merely keep it alive because sentimental value, or because the decision is just too hard to make, it may not be fair to the pet. It almost sounds like the 17 year old's quality of life is approaching (or past) that point maybe? Certainly if they're in pain, it's the correct call, no matter how difficult it may seem.

That's where I found myself the other night. As hard as it was, & certainly not how I thought that day was going to end when I woke up that morning, she's in pain, not going to get better and you have to make the tough decision. Hopefully your wife makes the decision when the time is right. It sucks at any rate...

Thanks again.

10 hours ago, Leghome said:

Everybody is wired differently when it comes to animals. There is no right or wrong. I cannot raise cattle to slaughter, my older brother can. I cannot go deer hunting, my middle brother can but my older cannot. It comes down to,I think,how you let yourself become attached to the particular animal. 

A couple years after my wife passed away I started dating a woman I met through my daughter and were talking one night over dinner and and the subject of priorities came up, she said she loved her grand kids. At the time I didn't have any so didn't know how that felt. I said I dont really like kids a whole lot,  as you can imagine it didnt go over well. Then she asked my priorities I said. My daughter first then my car then my dog then a relationship.  As you can imagine that didnt go over very well. Shes gone now and I've learned what it's like to have grandchildren and love them dearly. My dog is also gone also and I cried like a baby when her time was up. I now have two wonderful grandchildren and a wonderful woman in my life. Life is good again my friends. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Very well said. Life changes us all. Priorities change with time. But I think we high jacked another thread. Oops 😬 LOL 

It's all good, lol. It was my thread anyways, and I sort of steered it off course besides, hahahaha    🐕🐶

Started the 4 wheel disc installation the other day. Had to pop the axles out again to do the install. Love the smell of that gear lube! As usual with everything related to this car, the wrong calipers got sent. I wanted no painted logo, got red instead. The guys at Baer couldn't be more helpful though, powder coated a set the next day & got them shipped, should be here in a couple of days. In the mean time, these can be used to mock the system up. 13" rotors up front, 12" in the rear.

Going to have to remove a header to replace the dist. valve, add an adjustable proportioning valve, plus a different master cylinder with smaller piston. That'll be the next steps.

REAR setup:

20210131_132239.jpg

20210131_132311.jpg

20210129_211523.jpg

FRONT brakes:

20210131_131030.jpg

20210131_102959.jpg

• Like 2

Am I seeing that right e brake shoes on the inside of rotor? I like that way better than the e brake incorporated in the caliper.  My Silverado is that way. Only thing is axels and hubs have to come off to replace shoes and on my 3/4 ton that's kind of a pain. I found when I replaced calipers rotors and pads the shoes are going to need replacement fairly soon. Really never use e brake so I can get away with it for a while. Nice set up Joe.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Am I seeing that right e brake shoes on the inside of rotor? I like that way better than the e brake incorporated in the caliper.  My Silverado is that way. Only thing is axels and hubs have to come off to replace shoes and on my 3/4 ton that's kind of a pain. I found when I replaced calipers rotors and pads the shoes are going to need replacement fairly soon. Really never use e brake so I can get away with it for a while. Nice set up Joe.

Thanks Steve. I don't tend to use the e-brake either, especially in the automatic trans cars. I probably won't even hook it up immediately anyways.

I did a lot of those types on vehicles in the past. Not such a great setup if you live in the rust belt on daily drivers though. Most people don't tend to use them either and it's a PITA to remove the rotor with the inside drum all rusted up and wedging that round brake shoe in there. Usually ended up replacing that brake shoe due to damage upon removal, and just plain falling apart due to corrosion. Sometimes I drilled a hole on the rotor face to stick a punch in there to push that round shoe straight again to help un-wedge it. Still had to deal with the giant rust lip that forms too, helping to keep it encase in there. They aren't cheap either, lol. Sometimes you can maneuver it over the axle flange on some vehicles, not sure about your particular case.  I can honestly say I don't miss working on other peoples vehicles like that anymore 😠

What year truck, I'll look it up in GMSI (gm service info), just out of curiosity?

It's an 11 2500 HD. Everything I've seen says axel have to come out then hub has to come off. I assume theres probably a way to do it without pulling them but theres not much room in there to work. Like I said I really don't use it so I can put it off for now but thank you for your offer 👍

It looks like just the hubs may have to come off, if it's like my '09 GMC 2500. Depends on what exact RPO code you have for the rotors J90, J95, J96 (or JD9 which may be 1500) as there is a little difference between them. When the time comes, LMK and I can get you the exact GM service procedure. Good info, plus it usually has the correct torque specs too.

2011 silv. rear hub.pdf 2011 silv. rear park brake.pdf