New Guy Here

jft69z

Ok this is exactly the kind of job that should be in the new thread somebody starts. The Snowball. You all know what I’m talking and now Joe is starting s simple storage building project. What possibly could snowball on that????  LOL. 🤪😂💵👍😢😬

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

Joe, keep us posted on your "storage"/paint booth progress. I'm thinking a square footage change is only the beginning 🤣

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Ok this is exactly the kind of job that should be in the new thread somebody starts. The Snowball. You all know what I’m talking and now Joe is starting s simple storage building project. What possibly could snowball on that????  LOL. 🤪😂💵👍😢😬

No,  Mark & Dennis, it's only for storage. What was that Steve Martin movie, 'The Jerk'? "That's all I need...is storage.... and a sheetmetal brake, ....and a sheetmetal shear.....and a lathe.....and a milling machine........and that's all I need....and a chair....and my remote, and my dog,  "Sh*t head"

I don't foresee that stuff happening, but once I do retire, I will lose easy access to the sheetmetal & machine shops, that's gonna suck.

Long way to go, but hopefully it'll be all buttoned up before winter. Lots of concrete work, insulating, interior, wiring, alarm & cameras tied into existing panels, gas line & some type of heat, etc.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jft69z said:

No,  Mark & Dennis, it's only for storage. What was that Steve Martin movie, 'The Jerk'? "That's all I need...is storage.... and a sheetmetal brake, ....and a sheetmetal shear.....and a lathe.....and a milling machine........and that's all I need....and a chair....and my remote, and my dog,  "Sh*t head"

I don't foresee that stuff happening, but once I do retire, I will lose easy access to the sheetmetal & machine shops, that's gonna suck.

Long way to go, but hopefully it'll be all buttoned up before winter. Lots of concrete work, insulating, interior, wiring, alarm & cameras tied into existing panels, gas line & some type of heat, etc.

SNOWBALL. BABY. 

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Hey Joe, Great job on the new closet. It should be big enough for now. BUT (eventually you will fill that up, and look for more) ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!   LOL

HAHAHA, that's funny!

My brother added on to his garage a few years back now hes added on a couple more areas for storage. He basically has a machine shop set up in his garage. Now he has a work in the process on another 26 ford this time a coupe he needs more room 🤣. Oops I said the 4 letter f word 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, not Monte related but figured you guys would give an honest opinion. So yesterday I took the 17" Rally type wheels off the '72 (hmmm...Monte related, lol) and wanted to see how they look on the Z/28. Reason being, if I want to put bigger brakes on the car, the 15" GM wheels won't work. The tires in the pics will need to be a little shorter than what's currently on there, so the sidewall will be a bit shorter.

So what say you, 'Good, Bad, or 'No big deal'? Don't be shy, I can take the truth, either way. Thank you!

With the GM 15"

20210324_160059.jpg20210324_160109.jpg

With the American Racing 17"

20210324_163352.jpg20210324_163340.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Looks good and your helper looks good too but I love your shop. I'd love to have that much room and a lift to boot. That would make life much more pleasant. 

Thank you Steve! I did a lot of work in a 2 car garage before I got this place. In fact, the Camaro was built in that 2 car, and painted in there too, turned the whole thing into a spray booth at the time.

But which wheels look better, the 15 or 17 inch, or makes no difference?

26 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

I too love the shop. They both look good. The 17's have less sidewall, tough call. I would probably leave the 15's on the car. A nice problem to have!!!

Thanks Paul! 

I tend to like the 15's too actually. A couple of buddies stopped by, and it does actually look better in person, but as one said...." It doesn't look terrible". Not exactly a glowing review, lol. Only reason to consider larger wheels is for the bigger brakes. I saw there are a couple of other vendors, and one has smaller slots, that would look more stock, but their trim ring looks goofy. As you said, first world problems.

my son in-law put 17"  on his 2001 Z28 so hw could use bigger brakes for better stopping and they look great (not rally's) but so do the Corvette style calipers

24 minutes ago, 714024SPEED said:

thank God you didn't go with 20's have to get used to that look. So I'm no help lol

No way would I put even 18's, let alone 20's. If my current Monte didn't come with this set of rims, I'd have 15's on there too. 

Another buddy stopped by this afternoon, didn't even notice it....until he went around the other side. Then he picked the 15's as well, lol.

44 minutes ago, 1Bad454 said:

The 17's look too big for the Camaro's wheel wells. 

The tires are too big for the Camaro as it sits, especially the fronts, to the point I wouldn't even drive it like that. I did use that site, tirecalculator.com to find comparable sizes to what's on the car now. Unfortunately, that'll drop the sidewall down a little, making the wheels look even bigger perhaps. There is another vendor with wheels that have smaller oval slots, that may help with the illusion I think.

Thanks all, & keep the opinions coming!

• Like 1

IMHO. Which don’t mean....  I like the 15’s better because the rims fit the wells better BUT as much as I love rallies with caps they actually look kinda plain on there. BUT I wonder if they were powder coated black hmmmm

39 minutes ago, Dtret said:

IMHO. Which don’t mean....  I like the 15’s better because the rims fit the wells better BUT as much as I love rallies with caps they actually look kinda plain on there. BUT I wonder if they were powder coated black hmmmm

Hmmm, never considered black, though they're available that way. That would hide them to some degree, or at least make them seem to fit better, taking the focus off the rim itself. Then again, I'm not a big fan like the younger crowd with blacked out wheels on everything. I scored a set of black wheels for my Vette real cheap, but still drive around with the chrome ones all the time.

P5280106.JPG

20161107_122426.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

If you have the black wheels for the vette off the vette roll one next to the camaro. At least you can get a color visual 

I already moved the car around to the other part of the shop & swapped the wheels back. They have wheel configurators on a couple of the sites though, I will try that, good idea.

59 minutes ago, DragCat said:

I actually like the black wheels on the your vette, and i'm far from being included in "the younger crowd" 🤣 

I figure they're good to have in case I get into some type of ...'trouble' and need to change the look of the car, lol. I'm no spring chicken any more either, it sucks.

21 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Chrome on the vette. I had comp grey on my vette for a while but went back to chrome. Just my opinion

I agree, chrome for me too. It's an age old battle on the corvette forum though. Brings about as many arguments as the 'what kind of oil should I use' threads.

And on a side note, I've exceeded my daily limit of giving 'likes'. Sorry, no more today.

• Like 1