New Guy Here

jft69z

5 hours ago, DragCat said:

The way your going Joe, gonna need a new project for when retirement starts. Only so much time you can spend cutting the grass , hot tubing, and driving what ya got lol 

Lol!

I'm running out of steam right now 😁. Have to work 4 dayshifts starting tomorrow (which means 3 probably, feeling sick already 😜), then vacation for 2 weeks. Hopefully I can get pretty far along with this one, then time to start preparing for Carlisle.

I did start bolting a few parts on the car last night, so that's a start finally.

• Like 3

So I picked this up last night. 2000 # HFT. I like it cuz it folds up but will it hold a big block?  Hmmm. 50 bucks. It’s worth the gamble. Reviews off the chevelle and camaro were good. 185 new. 

6B022C3B-149D-4E6D-92A3-3ED4B714E350.jpeg

10C89020-372F-4DB1-B590-7513A409A8E3.jpeg

• Like 6

Looks like it'll work.

I wanted a gear drive one at the time, options were much more limited. I have another, regular type stand, never liked spinning a big block around on that one. 

The Summit one folds up too, but certainly costs a lot more.

• Like 2

Looking good Joe, gonna be one bad %$$ Camaro . How big is the Big Block? With my fractured wrist right now ,I'm about 2 months behind on projects. I did buy a better engine stand, "C" style bottom, 4 wheels. That stand you have will do the job. The guys were here getting my pool area ready for my new pool I paid for 2 yrs ago, weather was terrible last year and couldn't get the ground to dry. This should be ready to go I'm hoping next week. After the cast is off, I'M going to stay out in the garage and try to get my car finished up for Carlisle. I just hope my wrist won't need anything else. doesn't matter done or not I'll be there.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, 420ponies said:

. How big is the Big Block? 

It's a 454 Jim. Started as a LS6 GM crate motor that was destined for my old 72 Monte Custom, but had a deep scratch down the whole length of #5 cylinder I think. GM warrantied it & I was able to buy this one back a year or two later for $1K. Bored it .005" over, new pistons, aluminum heads, big roller cam, etc. and this one ended up in the Camaro.

Hope you heal enough to accomplish all you need before Carlisle. It just sucks that everyone lives so far apart, otherwise we could help you out.

• Like 3

Bit of a slow day. Did manage to get the Aeromotive EFI fuel tank installed, & the fuel lines I bent months ago with an Aeromotive 10 micron filter put in place.

Next will be the brake lines on the other side of the car before putting the subframe & the subframe connectors back in place.

20220513_211057.jpg

20220513_211042.jpg

• Like 8

Yesterday was spent putting the subframe & frame connectors back on the car, making the new bright yellow Bilstein shocks turn black (the boots were blue, vinyl dye seems to work good on them), and a bunch of little detail things. That's what takes the most time, ...cleaning, painting, modifying even the seemingly simple things.

20220518_130459.jpg

20220519_122657.jpg

20220519_122625.jpg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Michael Boyte said:

Nice looking work. Finished product will be amazing

Thanks Mike!

12 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Looks great! Nice job! Love the camouflage. Lol

Thanks Tom!

Those yellow shocks would have stuck out like a light beacon on an all black car, lol.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Awesome work. Getting closer. You gotta plan ahead now. Shopping days are really getting down there. 

Lol, thanks Dennis. On vacation for 2 weeks, but there's about 10 or 11 working days left at the power plant.

54 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Lol, thanks Dennis. On vacation for 2 weeks, but there's about 10 or 11 working days left at the power plant.

Might wanna take some free time and walk the shop and write down a list. O ya get a bigger duffel bag. lol 😆 ( I’m for sure you’ve already done this). I crack myself up. Hmmm crack 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

😆 ( I’m for sure you’ve already done this)

Of course, LOL...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Save something to do for retirement.

rob

The idea was to finish this one before I retire, in case I need to make any parts at work. I keep saying, I'm really going to miss the sheetmetal & the machine shops when I leave. I've made a lot of stuff over the years in those areas.

4 hours ago, Dtret said:

Might wanna take some free time and walk the shop and write down a list. O ya get a bigger duffel bag. lol 😆 ( I’m for sure you’ve already done this). I crack myself up. Hmmm crack 

You sound like an old school Chicago fireman. The slicker ones always wore the tallest boots possible. I remember being told:  “kid, you’d be amazed at what fits in those things” 🤣😂

And yes, “parting gifts” from one’s place of employment upon retirement is a completely acceptable practice in my humble opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got the front suspension installed, plus cleaned and prepped a few more things here & there. 

Tomorrow maybe I'll get the front Wilwood brakes assembles and installed. After that, the rest of the steering linkage & gear is the loose plan.

20220519_205635.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome progress! Like the plan idea, fingers crossed for ya to accomplish it. We all know how things sometimes, most of the time, don't go to plan. Lolol

36 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Awesome progress! Like the plan idea, fingers crossed for ya to accomplish it. We all know how things sometimes, most of the time, don't go to plan. Lolol

Thanks Tom. If you remember history, it's usually 2 steps forward, 3 steps back with me. I have not lost sight of that fact. I already had a minor setback tonight, thought I was going to have to remove the passenger side spring, but was able to find an alternate solution that worked perfect. (I had to weld up a stripped hole for the stabilizer bar mount, but forgot to drill/tap it out before installing the suspension.)

25 minutes ago, Dtret said:

He’s got this licked. It will be on the road doing burnouts before the vacation is over. It’s all plug and play from here. I have faith. 

That would be a stretch. I still have a lot to do, plus getting the EFI programmed, etc.

I know the exhaust will be a time consuming task. Still haven't decided on what mufflers to get yet. It's a toss between Flowmaster 44's and maybe a Magnaflow 3" muffler. I know Tom doesn't like the Flowmasters, lol, but they worked pretty good on my Monte. This car is a whole different animal though.

This car and my old monte had the exact same exhaust. Headers, mufflers, etc. But this car was just 10 times louder than that one was which is due to the larger cam, hogged out heads, and the like. Worst case, get a set of each, see how it sounds and go from there...

• Like 2

Nice going Joe!!!!   The puzzle is getting smaller for you.

I am jealous about the 10-11 days, even though you will bang out a few of them. LOL  All kidding aside i am very happy for you!!!

• Haha 1

You are correct Joe. I do not like flowjunk mufflers. Lol. Like the sound but not the performance. The difference between them and the dynomax ultraflo or a magnaflow are night and day. It has been proven over and over again. I cannot blame anyone for using the flowjunk for the sound though. Just saying lololol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

You are correct Joe. I do not like flowjunk mufflers. Lol. Like the sound but not the performance. The difference between them and the dynomax ultraflo or a magnaflow are night and day. It has been proven over and over again. I cannot blame anyone for using the flowjunk for the sound though. Just saying lololol

I keep looking for something like the old 'Turbo' mufflers I had (Thrush Turbos, from the late 80's). They sounded good, lasted pretty long. All I could see now for the different offerings, is that even though they say 3" inlet/outlet, by most accounts they're really necked down a lot inside the muffler.

I'm probably not going to run tail pipes, so something that's a straight shot through will probably be too loud.