New Guy Here

jft69z

22 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

If  it was easy everyone would do it, keep at it you'll get it 👍

Thanks Steve, it's already back together, putting the bar in now.

19 minutes ago, willie said:

Joe, I know other people are thinking it so i will just say it. For someone who hates working on cars you do a fantastic job making them look great and go fast!!   Love your work!!! Wish i had half your ability.

Thank you Willie, very kind words indeed!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

It’s now Wednesday. I know you’re out of that lazy-boy by now. 

Lol, been busy, but nothing pictures would really show. Wiring harness, piped up clutch slave, clutch master cylinder ran into fitment issues under the dash, so Silversport is sending a part, installed a few more small parts here & there, etc.

Waiting on a few things to be delivered to expand some exhaust tubing so I could mount the headers. Once headers are on, I can mount starter, wiring to it, power steering lines, etc.

So today I went in a different direction entirely, starting to install the new carpets inside. Hope to get that done tomorrow possibly and maybe put the seats & console back too. Depends if some other parts get delivered tomorrow as scheduled. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Thanks for the update. Sounds like progress forward without going to far back. Lol. 

Yeah, it's moving along, slowly. At a cruise night now at the Texas Roadhouse steak place. Good excuse to eat here too...

• Like 1

Joe:  The car looks a lot different from when I saw it a few weeks back.  You've made a lot of progress and looks beautiful.  Sometimes it may look like your not moving forward and it takes another eye to see the progress.  Great work and I'll echo Willie's comment about wishing I had the ability to do what you do.  Heck I'll take a quarter of your ability and be happy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, monte70z20 said:

Joe:  The car looks a lot different from when I saw it a few weeks back.  

Yeah John, it's come along pretty good since you stopped over. Plenty more to do, but it's getting there bit by bit.

Thank you for the compliments, much appreciated!

10 minutes ago, willie said:

Joe... Much deserved!!!

Thanks again!

Spent the last couple of days putting the new carpet in place. Plus jumped around here & there with other details, as I tend to get side tracked and work on other things at the same time.

I'll probably hold off on the front seats for now until I need them, still a couple of things to do under the dash and it'll be easier with the extra room.

20220528_110255.jpg

20220528_110407.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Looks fantastic. Sometimes the necessary evil is to jump around to multiple projects but the bright side is they seem to finish quickly at that point. 

Thanks Dennis!

I think it's just a short attention span, and I get bored easily, lol.

1 minute ago, jft69z said:

Thanks Dennis!

I think it's just a short attention span, and I get bored easily, lol.

Ya I get it. That’s why I like small projects. I have a habit of breaking down the big jobs into a bunch of small ones. I even do it when I mow the grass. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Case in point....

The exhaust 3-1/2" x 3"  header cones wouldn't slip over the header collectors. I could have probably went to a muffler shop and begged them to maybe expand them, and they'd probably over-do it. I like to be pretty self sufficient, so I searched around and saw some exhaust pipe expanders. Manual type, uses a bolt and impact wrench. I have a different type of that, but it works marginal at best, usually chews up the bolt, etc.

Did a little more research and found that if you get a hydraulic punch driver kit, it'll mate up to the pipe expanders with the same 3/4"-16 fine thread bolt (and Greenlee conduit hole punches too). Worked like a champ! 

20220528_122240.jpg

20220528_122703.jpg

20220528_122649.jpg

20220528_123112.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Glen said:

Outstanding progress Joe!  

Thanks Glen, it's getting there.

16 hours ago, Dtret said:

Very nice. I couldn’t do that. I don’t have them there tools. But it’s a Saturday so I know a guy. But not on Sunday. 

Ya know Dennis, with "someone" retiring soon, all those tools and shop space, not to mention a hot tub....... He could hold like a month long mini-meet with weekend project seminars. We might have to chip in for a new fridge/freezer for the shop tho 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Ya know Dennis, with "someone" retiring soon, all those tools and shop space, not to mention a hot tub....... He could hold like a month long mini-meet with weekend project seminars. We might have to chip in for a new fridge/freezer for the shop tho 🤣

Lol, that would work for me Mark, especially if you stock the fridge with steaks and burgers!

9 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Joe is a nice enough guy to offer the help but I can almost guarantee that he wouldn’t enjoy doing it. But he probably still would. 

Yes, I hate working on cars, but would absolutely help if you need it.

Been to a few cruise nights recently and people have asked if I'm interested in doing some work for them. I may consider it, seeing as how they're nice cars, not typical rust belt stuff. I need to finish the black car first, Carlisle, possibly Syracuse, then the calendar is pretty much clear after that. 

• Like 3

I knew it was a ruse. You really like this stuff. Lol. REMEMBER what it was like working on “everyday” customer cars. Now you’re contemplating “cruise in” type of cars. I do know that you are more picky than most, but really???  Pick your battles wisely. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

O ya since you’re contemplating this ( lol) I have a really nice, almost rust free 70 Monte that needs a little work done. Shouldn’t be much work at. I think you could get it done in a week or two. I can send you pictures if you want. Lol. 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dtret said:

O ya since you’re contemplating this ( lol) I have a really nice, almost rust free 70 Monte that needs a little work done. Shouldn’t be much work at. I think you could get it done in a week or two. I can send you pictures if you want. Lol. 😂

The proverbial 'little old lady to church' car we hear about? What was that old MTV show...'Catfish'? 😁

In regards to other people's cars, remember I'm going to be on a fixed income soon. I may have to work on a few select jobs here & there to buy food 🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jft69z said:

The proverbial 'little old lady to church' car we hear about? What was that old MTV show...'Catfish'? 😁

In regards to other people's cars, remember I'm going to be on a fixed income soon. I may have to work on a few select jobs here & there to buy food 🤣.

That’s funny 😁 

• Like 1

I'd have no issue dropping my ride off at Joe's. The downside for me would be the phone calls / texts with [censored] were you thinking.....or him forming an intervention to take away the keys to the tool box 🤣

• Haha 1