New Guy Here

jft69z

I think Dennis nailed it, why is that not a recall.  If they are noted for this they should have some responsibility for a repair.  You are a good man to help that guy out.

rob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

Got a little side tracked....

Someone we go to the cruise nights with recently had a shop turn his car away for a repair. He's older and lives off a social security check only and can't afford to junk the car & get a new one. Apparently it's a common failure with Ford Escapes, the rear wheelhouse/shock tower rots away and the shock just flops in the breeze.

I got it at least cut out & roughed in before coming back into work tonight. 4 more working night 'til retirement. Good thing he brought it now, I'll be in the sheetmetal shop tonight making some parts, lol.

Maybe I'll get a few good karma points for doing this sh*t job...

20220612_131205.jpg

20220612_132155.jpg20220612_140938.jpg20220612_140951.jpg20220612_145648.jpg

Well that being said, if you’re just helping people out with rust repair, have I got a project for you…..  I’m on a fixed income too, just my paycheck. Oops had to edit. JK LOL 😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

. I can’t believe that’s not a recall. What does the other side look like?  

The other side looks pretty intact. They don't even make a replacement part for that side unless you go to the dealer. One place on Amazon did, but I was leery about it, at least this one came from Dorman. Still needed some hammer & dolly work, but for the most part it'll work OK.

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

I think Dennis nailed it, why is that not a recall.  If they are noted for this they should have some responsibility for a repair.  You are a good man to help that guy out.

rob

All the research I did points to Ford accepting NO responsibility at all. Worse yet, the repair part covers model years 2002-2012 I think. That's a long time to screw people.

43 minutes ago, sbarnette said:

He’s lucky to have a friend like you. 

Nobody else in town apparently wanted the job. His regular mechanic and a few collision shops turned him away. I actually spoke to his shop, it was pretty clear they just didn't want to get involved.

36 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Well that being said, if you’re just helping people out with rust repair, have I got a project for you…..  I’m on a fixed income too, just my paycheck. Oops had to edit. JK LOL 😝 

I'm not that nice, he's still paying parts and labor 💰. It should be quite a bit less than the initial estimate though. Like I said above, nobody else wanted the job & he really is a good guy. No way he can afford a new car at this point & it's his wife's car to get around town.

Every few years I sort of come out of retirement from that kind of work to help someone out who really needs it. That being said, this means your window of opportunity may be a few years off now :yay:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well done, Joe.

And here I thought stopping to change a flat for an older gentleman the other day while working my day off was gonna help get me through the Pearly Gates when my number gets called. 

Again… solid move and a tip of the ol’ chapeau to you, good sir. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glen said:

And here I thought stopping to change a flat for an older gentleman the other day while working my day off was gonna help get me through the Pearly Gates when my number gets called. 

The work you do every day will be more than enough to get you to the right place in the end 😉.

• Like 3

Good to see others helping others out there!! Helped an older gentlemen out on Saturday, lost his wallet at the grocery store. It was sitting on one of those scooter chairs. I stopped to make sure I had my keys and list, glanced down at the seat, saw a blood donors pin and then realized there was a wallet. opened it up saw no ID,looked some more ,found drivers license, took in into store to the manager. Later saw the manager as was walking out, said they contacted him. Hope I see him in the store next time I'm there.... Who knows, could be my new drinking buddy!

• Like 7

Joe:

I am sure you alleviated a lot of stress for him and his wife.  With finances being tight I'm sure the possibility of having to scrap the car must have weighed heavily on both of them.  With all the BS going on in this world it's really good to hear there are so many FGMCC members that are good Samaritans and stepping up when needed.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, monte70z20 said:

Joe:

I am sure you alleviated a lot of stress for him and his wife.  With finances being tight I'm sure the possibility of having to scrap the car must have weighed heavily on both of them.  With all the BS going on in this world it's really good to hear there are so many FGMCC members that are good Samaritans and stepping up when needed.

Yeah John, he's pretty happy about it. I got it almost all welded up today, just need to add a few more tomorrow. Maybe some corrosion protection & seam sealer tomorrow & then undercoating the day after. If all goes well, he'll have it before the weekend.

Got about 8 hours into it so far, a lot more labor than I've gotten sleep in the last few days, lol. Got about 40 minutes of sleep today...

• Like 4

Got off work Wednesday morning, decided to finish the car instead of going to bed. Undercoated the outside to hopefully seal it up from the elements, reassembled it & done. He came to get it yesterday, paid & even made me a big pot of spaghetti sauce & meatballs! Everyone is happy.

You can see where the shock was poking at the interior trim piece, lol.

20220615_090341.jpg

20220615_103925.jpg

20220615_103839.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

Got off work Wednesday morning, decided to finish the car instead of going to bed. Undercoated the outside to hopefully seal it up from the elements, reassembled it & done. He came to get it yesterday, paid & even made me a big pot of spaghetti sauce & meatballs! Everyone is happy.

You can see where the shock was poking at the interior trim piece, lol.

I see that Lazy Boy calling your name after the spaghetti & meatballs meal is finished 🤣

Good Job as usual, and chalk another one up for restoring faith in humanity. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

I see that Lazy Boy calling your name after the spaghetti & meatballs meal is finished 🤣

Good Job as usual, and chalk another one up for restoring faith in humanity. 

Thanks Mark!

The lazy boy caught up with me yesterday. I pretty much ran out of steam Wednesday & didn't do much yesterday.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Nice job on both counts Joe!!!  :yay::yay::yay::yay:

Now make sure you eat some of that spaghetti and meatballs. then the chair!  LOL  

Thanks Willie!. Yep, after eating that, I was in a food coma 'til around midnight in the chair.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally did a little bit of work on the Camaro yesterday, last time I touched it was June 18th when I made up the spark plug wires. Visually not much different from then, but figured a picture would be nice.

Did a little bit of wiring, filled the rear diff & transmission with their fluids, and filled and bled the new hydraulic clutch system. 

Maybe now I'll get a little more motivated soon. I keep telling myself (and others who ask about its progress), "Maybe next Monday I'll start working on it again, but now that I'm retired....every day is Saturday!"  (Monday just never seems to come) 😁.

20220727_205730.jpg

20220728_075527.jpg

20220728_075515.jpg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Michael Boyte said:

Absolute stunning !!

I can't wait to see the finished product !!

Thanks Mike, me either 😄

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

Wish I had the time, energy and space to take on projects like this.

Thanks Rob, wish I had the energy to finish this too 🤣.