New Guy Here

jft69z

• 2 months later...

Here's an update on the Monte LED conversion that was mentioned in another thread.

Initially, when I built the car, I installed Hella 'Conversion Plus' Halogen lamps. These use a 9003/HB2 bulb insert into the light housing. These are also the US/DOT approved lights, vs. the 'ECE' (European) spec lamps offered as well. A call to Hella at the time said use the DOT ones. (Amazon may not have stocked the ECE ones, or I probably would have got both types to compare). While a step up from the regular lamps they replaced, they simply can't compare to LED lights.

I played around a couple weeks ago with the lights on my Western Snow Plow frame. Bought a bunch of different brands from Amazon (offshore-real cheap, fair amount of poor reviews for longevity; Sylvania-not cheap at all; and Philips-reasonably in the middle). After a lot of swapping I determined the Philips were the best. Ended up changing the Low, High, and Fog lamps as well, still trying a few different brands, ended up with Philips.

Decided to see if they offer a LED replacement for the Monte, which they did (9003USLED) This time I never bothered to try anything else. 

After installing one side, I took a quick measurement with a light meter. The comparison on the low beam was 28,000 Lux vs. 38,000 lux. A pretty substantial gain. At that point I decided to go ahead and install them permanently. A little Trim Black' paint on the heat sink will hide them a little better, but since it's a 'Safety' modification, it shouldn't count against me :k:yay:. The Z/28 is the next one to convert, already have the bulbs in stock.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-002395301

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTFGJXP5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

20240229_132120.jpg

20240229_132140.jpg

20240229_132347.jpg

Low Beam:

20240229_120740.jpg

High Beam:

20240229_120756.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

Great, another upgrade added to the list 🙃🤣

Don’t knock it till you try it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, DragCat said:

Great, another upgrade added to the list 🙃🤣

Mark, just stop counting!!!  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Dtret said:

Don’t knock it till you try it. 

I already did the above mentioned "Hella 'Conversion Plus' Halogen lamps" 🤣 Don't hold your breath on this one but I did make a mental note for the future 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, DragCat said:

I already did the above mentioned "Hella 'Conversion Plus' Halogen lamps" 🤣 Don't hold your breath on this one but I did make a mental note for the future 

It really is a night/day difference for about 12 minutes work and the roughly $40 cost of the LEDs. I don't tend to drive much at night anyways now, but it's better to have it & not need it...

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

I was going to ask.... Do you still drive at night ?? lol

Usually napping by the time the sun goes down. Then up all night from midnight on...

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

Usually napping by the time the sun goes down. Then up all night from midnight on...

“ napping by the time the sun goes down “. That’s funny. You nap at all times of the day. Hahaha 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Dtret said:

“ napping by the time the sun goes down “. That’s funny. You nap at all times of the day. Hahaha 😂 

But naps are such a beautiful thing 😴 I love naps.

• Like 6
  • Thank You! 1

47 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Jealous?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scott S. said:

That's why I have a cat instead of a dog. Naps are a mandatory part of their lives. ;)

Dogs are napping right with me. They're just as lazy as me.

• Haha 2

I just saw this on FB, talk about timing...

FB_IMG_1709498894070.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Who are you kidding your in your recliner as usual but I can't say to much I'm in mine too 😅

I rotate between the rest areas :rofl:.

That being said, I just got back from a good bicycle ride to the Niagara Falls a little bit ago. Lot of tourists out there today. Tomorrow is supposed to be near 70and sunny, I'll be out there again if possible.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

I rotate between the rest areas :rofl:.

That being said, I just got back from a good bicycle ride to the Niagara Falls a little bit ago. Lot of tourists out there today. Tomorrow is supposed to be near 70and sunny, I'll be out there again if possible.

Anything to avoid working on a car, huh?

rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Anything to avoid working on a car, huh?

rob

You know it 😉

Enjoy the warm weather while you have it. We’re getting close to Spring but March can be a very interesting month weather wise with drastic changes. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Montemedic said:

Enjoy the warm weather while you have it. We’re getting close to Spring but March can be a very interesting month weather wise with drastic changes. 

Oh yeah. I've had to plow snow around here in May before, so I don't get too far ahead with putting snow equipment away.

• Like 3