New Guy Here

jft69z

Hello There!

Been here for a few weeks and figured it was time to give a proper hello. My name is Joe T. and have loved Montes from an early age. First car was a 72 Monte, Mohave gold/black interior, 350. Sold that and found another 72 Monte Custom, Mohave gold/saddle interior this time when I was stationed at Keesler AFB on the Mississippi gulf coast in the early 80's. Built a 350 LT-1 motor for that in my barracks room (roommate wasn't too pleased). Eventually car ended up with a 4-speed setup and after that a GM crate motor 454 LS6. Time moves on and eventually turned the car back to stock, sold it in the mid-late 90's, but kept the 454, 4-speed parts & 12 bolt posi w/4.11 gears. VIN was 1H57H2R587886 btw if anyone knows whatever happened to it.

Well, the 454 was at my Mom's house for all those years but ended up at my shop after her passing last year. Now that thing has been staring at me like it needed a new home. Cleaned it all up and made a table out of it, but apparently that's not good enough... So the search began. Ended up finding another 72 Custom, same color scheme as the last one, but this one is a 402 BB, out of California. Car was delivered Monday, just before the blizzard we're presently having here in Western NY. Appears to be a numbers matching car so far, but someone put headers and a cam in it. Plans for the car are to probably pull the body off the frame to clean everything up real nice. Probably do a compression check on the motor before pulling it out to see the condition and decide from there its fate. May go back in, or may be an end table.

Car has the original window sticker, but not sure about a build sheet yet. Tried looking on the gas tank, but nothing obvious until I drop it (shoved a borescope camera along the top ribs but no luck). If anyone has a history of this one, the VIN is 1H57U2L542406

So far I've been pouring over the website sections and have gained a boatload of useful info specific to these cars, so thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Here's a few pics of the old one, the end table, and a couple of the new one, not much chance to get deep into it yet.

Thanks again for the info you guys share here and hopefully I can help others as well.

Joe T.

My 2nd Monte, this one a Custom, 1983 maybe. At Lowry AFB for advanced electronics training before going overseas:

20190113_200926.jpg

Same car, with Centerlines after I got out of the Air Force. May have the LS6 in it by now:

20190113_200952.jpg

The LS6 from the above car. Next stop, the new car below.

20190112_192011.jpg

Just delivered, 72 Custom with a 402, TH400, 12 bolt posi.

20190129_142933.jpg

Original window sticker for the car:

6250-MMS-1548017108184-attachment1-1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo5.jpg

Won't be long, it'll be a pile of parts soon:

20190129_142830.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Joe! 

Welcome to the club!! Sorry about mom. Your newest purchase looks sweet!!!

We love seeing pics, new and old! Thanks for sharing. 

That's a tough on what to do. Have you checked under the rear seat and rear seat back, under the front seats for a build sheet? If she is a numbers matching car I would drive it for a while before deciding.

Again, welcome!!!!

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Seats (front & rear) were re-upholstered by previous owner, didn't even look there figuring he would have gave it to me if it was there. I may re-do them, he did it in a lighter shade which I'm not really sure I'm fond of yet. He said it was too much dark brown & thought it would be a nice contrast....ehh....not really decided on that yet.

Car has a tilt column, but not the correct NK4 wheel for a Custom, plus it wasn't on the window sticker.

Plenty of work to do to the car before it see's the road.

1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

From the pic it looks like the custom steering wheel. Do you mean the 4 spoke one?

Like you, idk about the seat color. Does look nice! 

Thanks! Yep, I think if it came with the tilt, it would have had the 4 spoke wheel. I'm thinking someone added the tilt somewhere along the way.

Welcome aboard Joe from another New Yorker, (near Syracuse) Thank you for your service to our country. My girlfriends son is usaf also.  Maybe you can make it to the Syracuse nationals this summer some of us are possible talking about a mini meet there.

Welcome Joe. Love the new car. If the car came with tilt you are correct it would have the NK4 four spoke wheel. The dark saddle interior grows on you ,when I first got my 72 I was not in love with the color but now I'm in like with it now.lol

KIMG0234.JPG

• Like 1

:W to our Madness Joe.  Nice Custom you have there. :2beers:  I started keeping Records where I see or hear of a 72 Custom out there.  I had copied the VIN #'s you provided in your Post and hope you don't mind.  I have a Spreadsheet with all the 72 Customs identified as they surface expecting to get a consensus on how many are still serviceable.  Of course, unless confirmed a Custom, a footnote will be present.  I believe I have about 30 documented with about half confirmed at this time.  Should you cross any in your travels, please take a moment if possible to document what you saw (I am particularly interested in the VIN #'s).  Pleasure having another 72 Custom owner as part of the Boards. :)

Doug     

Doug,

http://www.firstgenmc.com/html/registry

I think / thought we had this section where we could access info and register our Monte's but I can't get into it.

I haven't been in it for a long time.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Bruce

Joe T, Where in Western New York do you live.  I will be hosting a mini-meet in Carlisle in June if you are interested in joining a nice group of members with several days of socializing.  

rob

1 hour ago, 72-CLASSIC_RIDE said:

:W   I had copied the VIN #'s you provided in your Post and hope you don't mind.  I Pleasure having another 72 Custom owner as part of the Boards. :)

Doug     

Not a problem at all Doug. The 1st VIN I listed for my old Monte seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. I sold it in the mid 90's. Googled the VIN and found nothing so I had a couple of buddies run it and they can't find anything either (they're police). Either it's in a barn somewhere or it got turned into a lawnmower or something after it got crushed. Thanks for the welcome!

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

Joe T, Where in Western New York do you live.  I will be hosting a mini-meet in Carlisle in June if you are interested in joining a nice group of members with several days of socializing.  

rob

Hey Rob,

Just outside of Niagara Falls. I know the car won't be done by then, it'll be in a lot of pieces.

In 2020 our Eastern Meet will be in Carlisle for the Chevrolet Nationals.  I am working with the people who run the show to feature the Monte Carlo for 50th anniversary of Monte Carlo.  Hopefully you will have your car back together by then.  

rob

3 hours ago, willie said:

Feels good to mark your territory. lol   Niiiice!!!

I tend to mark it a lot. :grin: Seal coating by Michelin.  (video at the end)

69.207.13.92_07_20161008115858795.jpg

69.207.13.92_07_20161008115911827.jpg

69.207.13.92_02_20161008120225422.jpg

• Like 2