New Guy Here

jft69z

Hey Joe, on the Camaro i like them both, But as old school as i am there is nothing in my opinion as good as the 15s.  However on the vette, i really like the chrome, But there is something to be said about the black rims that set me off. Maybe its something about my GN?

Keep Digging Baby!!!!

• Like 1

I like the 15's on the Camaro too Willie. I'll have to make some decisions on that in the coming months. Either it's the 15s, or bigger brakes. If I'm going to go big brakes, now is the time because I was maybe going to pull the front clip to get better access to the wiring harness, and maybe ARH stainless headers. Perfect time to run new brake lines as the distribution valve would need to be changed, plus remove the round metering valve. I'll figure it out....

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

I like the 15's on the Camaro too Willie. I'll have to make some decisions on that in the coming months. Either it's the 15s, or bigger brakes. If I'm going to go big brakes, now is the time because I was maybe going to pull the front clip to get better access to the wiring harness, and maybe ARH stainless headers. Perfect time to run new brake lines as the distribution valve would need to be changed, plus remove the round metering valve. I'll figure it out....

Sounds like another snowball brewing 👍

55 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Sounds like another snowball brewing 👍

More like an avalanche brewing, 😁 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get the painted, vinyl top trim & the newly restored rear trim pieces installed. Just about done for the time being. A couple minor things left like bedding in the new brake pads, tires, and a trip to Carlisle!

Going to be busy with the other 'project' in the mean time. I'll start another thread as a few of you requested regarding that.

20210403_160206.jpg

20210403_160143.jpg

20210404_144244.jpg

20210405_145705.jpg

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, 1Bad454 said:

Looks really nice!

Thanks Ronald!

• Like 1

Hey Joe she really looks great!!! How did you match the paint on the trim so good??

Also the other project is starting to take shape nicely. How far off the property line can you build? I have to be 10ft but it worked out great as i put my parts cars there.

35 minutes ago, willie said:

Hey Joe she really looks great!!! How did you match the paint on the trim so good??

Also the other project is starting to take shape nicely. How far off the property line can you build? I have to be 10ft but it worked out great as i put my parts cars there.

Thanks Willie!

Multiple trips to the paint store to match the actual vinyl top. 

As far as property line, 5 feet, but its 10 feet from other buildings.

6 hours ago, Dtret said:

I guess I will have to do the trim painting also. Ug. 

The trim looked good without the paint on my car too, so it's not really a necessity I imagine. But, you're going for a completely stock resto, so that may be something you'll need to do. What's a couple more days & nights of labor, lol....

16 hours ago, jft69z said:

The trim looked good without the paint on my car too, so it's not really a necessity I imagine. But, you're going for a completely stock resto, so that may be something you'll need to do. What's a couple more days & nights of labor, lol....

Ya that’s what I need. Thanks. Lol

• 1 month later...

Been a little busy with the new building, but Carlisle is approaching fast. Hope to get the re-chromed bumper on today if possible, because we're digging for conduit this week. 

I did manage to get my center horn button (NK4 steering wheel) modified a bit the last day or two. I found a '72 Monte Carlo hat pin on ebay, trimmed the '72 off then drilled the center emblem for the pin, to locate it. Had to bend it a little to conform to the curve, but luckily it didn't snap in half. A little clear epoxy & done.

I had initially hoped to make a mold of that button, then recreate one with clear acrylic and set the M/C emblem in there, but there simply won't be enough time. Maybe next year...

20210509_140354.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Dtret said:

That’s pretty cool. I like it. 

Thanks. I did the same with my Z/28 a few years ago. The centers they have available for the Camaro are all later style emblems, didn't like them.

• 1 month later...

Spent some time seasoning the new 4 wheel disc rotors per BAER's instruction sheet today. They want you to do it in 3 stages, with very specific steps to get them hot. Last step will be tomorrow, bedding the brake pads. That will punish them a bit, lol.

Seems to get better each step of the way as far as stopping quality. Had to adjust the rear proportioning valve a little as the rears were locking up a bit early. Good thing I put it in the system, despite some advice from one or two other brake vendors I spoke with that said it wouldn't be necessary. Probably have to tweak it a bit more after the pads are bedded.

After that, it's clean it up a bit and start getting ready to load it up for Carlisle. Oh, new rear tires need to be put on too. Been burning the old ones off in the driveway lately... Put the new fronts on a week ago, fits much better than the smallish ones that came with the car.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, jft69z said:

Been a little busy with the new building, but Carlisle is approaching fast. Hope to get the re-chromed bumper on today if possible, because we're digging for conduit this week. 

I did manage to get my center horn button (NK4 steering wheel) modified a bit the last day or two. I found a '72 Monte Carlo hat pin on ebay, trimmed the '72 off then drilled the center emblem for the pin, to locate it. Had to bend it a little to conform to the curve, but luckily it didn't snap in half. A little clear epoxy & done.

I had initially hoped to make a mold of that button, then recreate one with clear acrylic and set the M/C emblem in there, but there simply won't be enough time. Maybe next year...

20210509_140354.jpg

Someone stole your idea. Bastards. Wrong button but still 

032C9401-5B52-4810-8BBC-25A390A4005C.png

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Someone stole your idea. Bastards. Wrong button but still 

Sons of bitc*es...  I like it though 🙂

Cleaning up the car a bit today, then the 'rain man' part came out. Noticed the 'nubs' on the sidewall of the new tires..... yeah, I cut them all off....even the ones inside which was a first for me I think, lol. Usually, I'll do the outside ones, but never the inside. :wacko:

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

Sons of bitc*es...  I like it though 🙂

Cleaning up the car a bit today, then the 'rain man' part came out. Noticed the 'nubs' on the sidewall of the new tires..... yeah, I cut them all off....even the ones inside which was a first for me I think, lol. Usually, I'll do the outside ones, but never the inside. :wacko:

So I guess you’re going to eat at ihop and buy underwear at Kmart. I think I got that right. Let me ask Judge Wapner he’s on at 4:00. 

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

So I guess you’re going to eat at ihop and buy underwear at Kmart. I think I got that right. Let me ask Judge Wapner he’s on at 4:00. 

5 o'clock I thought. 😁