New Guy Here

jft69z

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

Might be O.C.D. I’m kinda dumb

Me too, you're not alone.

• 4 months later...

Figured I'd keep everything in one place, as long as the moderators don't care.

Been working on the Z/28 rear brakes the last couple of days. Had to re-route the brake lines, weld a bracket to the axle tube for the flex lines & shim everything up to center the caliper. 

Waiting on a rotor centering ring for the other side, Summit shorted one on the last order. Everything all shimmed and lined up though. Otherwise, happy so far.

I'll probably start on the front brakes next. I need to replace the control arm bushings first though. These ones only lasted 34 years since the last time I replaced them, before getting a little cracked up. I used OEM rubber type then & will probably use the same this time. 

20211026_200051.jpg

• Like 1

I think it looks great. Not sure about unilug rotors though. Lol. I believe most everyone in this group has more going on than just 1st gen Montes and I know that I appreciate the work that goes into our other toys as well. I think this “ family “ appreciates all of the other projects we get involved in. IMO it keeps us all leveled and balanced. 

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

Figured I'd keep everything in one place, as long as the moderators don't care.

Been working on the Z/28 rear brakes the last couple of days. 

20211026_200051.jpg

We are not like a couple of the other First Gen Monte sites that would delete a post like this but not here at the FGMCC.  Looking at that picture if it were not for the leaf springs it could be someone's modified Monte.  

rob

8 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

We are not like a couple of the other First Gen Monte sites that would delete a post like this but not here at the FGMCC.  Looking at that picture if it were not for the leaf springs it could be someone's modified Monte.  

rob

Thanks Rob. I figured at least it was my own thread that I was crashing, lol

38 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I think it looks great. Not sure about unilug rotors though. Lol. 

Lol, they're made for multiple bolt centers. And thank you!

3 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Thanks Rob. I figured at least it was my own thread that I was crashing, lol

Lol, they're made for multiple bolt centers. And thank you!

I know that!!  And you’re welcome. 

55 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I know that!!  And you’re welcome. 

I know you know. Other people who may be less of a gearhead may not have known though.

• Like 1

Glad you posting progress, lots of new toys to see being installed. Got a chuckle myself as the top post of the thread page starts with you and Dennis talking about OCD, and "someone" has written "left" on the brake drum. Yea I can relate 

8 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Glad you posting progress, lots of new toys to see being installed. Got a chuckle myself as the top post of the thread page starts with you and Dennis talking about OCD, and "someone" has written "left" on the brake drum. Yea I can relate 

That 'someone' was me as you suspected. 

2 minutes ago, Dtret said:

That is kinda funny. They are directional rotors so it is a necessary evil but I still chuckled. 

I didn't see the directional 'arrow' cast on the rotor until later, hence the little reminder I put on there for myself. It's actually visible in the picture near the top. 

38 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I think powerstop uses a little white sticker but I have found them laying in the bottom of the box. Good idea on your part. Easy mix up. 

I know the slots are supposed to point toward the direction of travel, but better safe than sorry. I'm fully capable of putting it on the wrong side regardless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

I know the slots are supposed to point toward the direction of travel, but better safe than sorry. I'm fully capable of putting it on the wrong side regardless.

Ya but that depends on which way you’re traveling. Lol. I’ve put them on backwards before 

• Like 1

Took a few days off, just don't want to look at cars right now, lol.

So I got an email from Legendary Interiors awhile back looking for cars to put in their 2022 Calendar. I sent a few pics in and pretty much forgot about it. Today I got another email from them, looks like they picked my car for the month of December. 

Not a lot of progress on the Z, took a few more parts off, plus fitted the ARH headers up there to see how they fit. These look pretty close to the floor board and the trans crossmember. I'll have to wait to see how the tremec x-member fits & go from there before I do any mods to them like putting O2 sensor bungs in the collector. More shiny parts keep arriving daily it seems, lol.

I can feel the snowball effect already. Had to remove more parts to get the headers off than expected. Plus they had to come off to remove the upper control arms. Pretty soon it'll be just  2 more bolts to remove the engine and end up with a bare subframe.

I hadn't planned on removing that, but it looks like it could use a fresh coat of paint, it's been over 30 years...😩. The front clip is coming off anyways to get access to everything, plus make it easier to wire up the new harness & EFI plumbing, etc. I'll see what happens.

20211103_162403.jpg

20211103_162312.jpg

20211103_162413.jpg

2022 Calendar.pdf

• Like 2

That’s a great picture. Fitting it be December with all your Christmas presents coming and all. ( a year early). Lol. I was wondering how long it would take before you decided to just pull it all apart. More work but it’s going to make all the mods much easier. Now make sure that you take a lot of pictures and write everything down. You know what happens when you get to that retirement age. Lol. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Congrats on the calendar. Great way to end the year!!!

Thanks Paul!

19 minutes ago, Dtret said:

That’s a great picture. Fitting it be December with all your Christmas presents coming and all. ( a year early). Lol. I was wondering how long it would take before you decided to just pull it all apart. More work but it’s going to make all the mods much easier. Now make sure that you take a lot of pictures and write everything down. You know what happens when you get to that retirement age. Lol. 

Lol, growing old sucks! 7 months and 27 days, but who's counting.

I always planned on pulling the front clip, but the subframe wasn't really considered. I know I sort of planned to repaint the control arms when I change the bushings (and now ball joints because of a bad grease boot or two, those I have 'in stock' from the Monte job due to an Amazon screwup . At least they're good ones - Proforged.) Picked up the paint last week anyways, still need to work on the parts first though.

Congrats own the Calendar, some nice rides in there as well (although I didn't see any BlueOvals). 

Nice to see some progress, even with the seasonal correct snowball affect.

Just so you know, a bunch of us started a pool to see if the Z was going to be another frame off project, so far nobody has bet the NO column 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Congrats own the Calendar, some nice rides in there as well (although I didn't see any BlueOvals). 

Just so you know, a bunch of us started a pool to see if the Z was going to be another frame off project, so far nobody has bet the NO column 🤣

Wouldn’t that be a sub-frame off? Lol. 

• Haha 2

Joe, Congrats on the Calendar win.... I guess with the December selection you will have to park it outside on a very snowy day so you can get picture of it snow covered with a X-mas tree on the roof.

rob

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

Thanks Mark! Yeah, there are some real nice cars in that calender, holy crap.

I've been kicking the idea around of repainting the floors, etc as I've been under it lately. It was done before I got it many years ago, but it's looking kind of weathered under there. If I do, I won't be pulling the rear diff, but probably the subframe connectors will go. I have to pull at least one side to re-do the fuel lines for the EFI. The gas tank is getting replaced anyways, so that will be open too.

Interior is getting pulled out for the new wiring and new carpets, plus I got some 'Dynamat' for the noise to install. Door panels, etc can probably stay though as the power windows, locks, alarm stuff is all intact and good. Paint & body is all good, so baring any 'incidents', those should not need touched.

I sprayed the engine compartment with black gloss Centari years ago, and don't really want to re-do that, so it'll probably just get cleaned/buffed from any residual overspray from the paint/ body work that's lingering. That's part of why the subframe & control arms need attention, no matter how hard you try to mask, that stuff gets everywhere. It'll be easier to just respray them than try to clean it up.

8 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Congrats Joe, well deserved.  Have you ever been to legendary? I have tried a couple times to get something done there but weren't able to help either time but were very helpful in trying. Oh well maybe next time.

Thanks Steve!

Yeah, I was there to drop off my interior bits a couple of years ago, and then again months (maybe 8 or 9 months) later to pick up the completed stuff. I only live about 70 or 80  minutes from there, so it saved the shipping costs.