New Guy Here

jft69z

“ I cut it out and welded it back up “. You make that sound so easy. That’s something I need to learn. Then some of these projects I get involved in won’t look so daunting. 

37 minutes ago, willie said:

Looks good Joe!!!    Work never ends!!!   That driveshaft looks great!!

Thanks Willie! They do great work over there at Denny's.

30 minutes ago, Dtret said:

“ I cut it out and welded it back up “. You make that sound so easy. That’s something I need to learn. Then some of these projects I get involved in won’t look so daunting. 

Lol

You'd be amazed how much you would use a good MIG machine around the shop & house. It would pay for itself in no time. Get one that uses shielding gas instead of flux core wire, worth it in the long run. I'm partial to Lincoln machines, but there's plenty of good stuff out there.

Just a note, the Lincoln machines you'll find at Home Depot, don't appear to be the same as on the actual Lincoln site. Probably some type of 'contracted' version of the real ones, like Sears used to do with all their stuff years ago. May or may not be able to easily get replacement parts if ever needed.

That being said, the smaller MIG I got around 1990, has never needed anything except tips & spools of welding wire. Dead reliable. I saw first hand what the weld shops at DuPont & here at the power plant put the Lincoln equipment through every day, very heavy duty industrial applications with no issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

Thanks Willie! They do great work over there at Denny's.

Lol

You'd be amazed how much you would use a good MIG machine around the shop & house. It would pay for itself in no time. Get one that uses shielding gas instead of flux core wire, worth it in the long run. I'm partial to Lincoln machines, but there's plenty of good stuff out there.

Just a note, the Lincoln machines you'll find at Home Depot, don't appear to be the same as on the actual Lincoln site. Probably some type of 'contracted' version of the real ones, like Sears used to do with all their stuff years ago. May or may not be able to easily get replacement parts if ever needed.

That being said, the smaller MIG I got around 1990, has never needed anything except tips & spools of welding wire. Dead reliable. I saw first hand what the weld shops at DuPont & here at the power plant put the Lincoln equipment through every day, very heavy duty industrial applications with no issues.

I have a Napa branded (Lincoln) that has gas. It’s an older one that a customer gave me. He welded exhaust with it for years till the circuit board went out. He bought a new one and absolutely hated it. I didn’t have the heart to tell him the board was 35 bucks. You mentioned hd brand, it’s like John Deere tractors at lowes. Not the same. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I have a Napa branded (Lincoln) that has gas. 

For bodywork & the thinner metals involved, it's nicer to have a machine with both variable voltage and wire feed, vs something with a stepped switch for settings. 

• Like 1

Getting closer to paint. Hope to get the frame, floors and various parts prepped by the end of the week.

20220507_111720.jpg

• Like 4

That’s a good idea you had. Sliding chain fall hooks. I don’t think 3 will hold it. You may have to put the forth one on. Lol. Having the right equipment to do the job makes it so much easier. 

• Like 2

I was just going to hang it vertically, but with the third one I can vary the position if I want while painting. 

The channel on the ceiling is Unistrut, versatile stuff. This frame is relatively light compared to the A-body ones.

I'll probably just leave the rest of the car on the lift to paint underneath, vs. putting it on the body cart, wheeling it around, etc. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I was just going to hang it vertically, but with the third one I can vary the position if I want while painting. 

The channel on the ceiling is Unistrut, versatile stuff. This frame is relatively light compared to the A-body ones.

I'll probably just leave the rest of the car on the lift to paint underneath, vs. putting it on the body cart, wheeling it around, etc. 

I agree on leaving the car on the lift. You’re just touching it up other than the tunnel. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I agree on leaving the car on the lift. You’re just touching it up other than the tunnel. 

It'll be the whole floor pan, front to rear. I don't really want the overspray in that part of the shop anymore, but I'll just cover everything up like I used to before.

• Like 1

Worked all night, tried to take a nap this morning but not much luck. Decided to paint today instead of tomorrow or Friday. Some stuff is chassis black, other stuff is gloss black. Stopped after spraying the semi-gloss to run the dogs to the vet for yearly shots, then figured why stop now. Sprayed the gloss parts and now it's done. Let it dry a little then start assembly.

Still need to clean up the engine a little and spray that orange. Maybe tomorrow or Friday...

20220511_171839.jpg

20220511_171903.jpg

20220511_173339.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Dtret said:

You’re moving right along. Looks pretty. Did you run out of masking tape or electrical tape?  

Thanks!

Plenty of materials in stock here....electrical tape is cheaper than the masking tape for certain things 😄

Joe, you are my hero.  You are doing a fantastic job.  Keep plugging away it is looking amazing.

rob

23 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Joe, you are my hero.  You are doing a fantastic job.  Keep plugging away it is looking amazing.

rob

Thank you Rob!

Yea Joe she looks fantastic!!!   Love the 3 chains, but whatever works!!!

I do have a question, doesn't the over spray get all over the walls and floors etc.???

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Yea Joe she looks fantastic!!!   Love the 3 chains, but whatever works!!!

I do have a question, doesn't the over spray get all over the walls and floors etc.???

Thanks Willie!

No need for a 4th chain, it worked just fine in that position.

I turn the exhaust fans on, sucks the fumes out. The black enamel Centari with hardner tends to settle on the floor a little, it stays sticky for awhile. No big deal, it'll wash off.  The big shop stayed pretty clean.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

And just what does the wife thing about all those chains ????  ;)

None of your business, hahahaha...:yay:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got a few hours sleep in my own bed last night (better than those chairs at work 😴 😁).

Cleaned & painted the engine real quick this morning. Maybe cut the grass and start with the assembly. Probably start from the back with gas tank, fuel & brake lines while the other painted parts dry a bit.

20220512_123618.jpg

20220512_125716.jpg

• Like 2

Looks awesome. Best looking 307 out there. Lol. What is your engine stand rated at?  I have to support my big block from underneath. Yours holds it well. I’m thinking of getting a new one. 

Thanks, it goes ok for a 307, lol

It came from Summit, rated at 1000 lbs. They had a Sunex one, looks the same, rated 1000 lbs, $200 more than this one. I changed the wheels to urethane ones so it didn't mark up the floor. If you ever decided you want the wheels, I could look up what I got.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-908300ga

20220512_140319.jpg

• Like 1

It's pretty stable,  no worries rolling it around. Rotates real smooth too.

16 hours ago, jft69z said:

Got a few hours sleep in my own bed last night (better than those chairs at work 😴 😁).

Cleaned & painted the engine real quick this morning. Maybe cut the grass and start with the assembly. Probably start from the back with gas tank, fuel & brake lines while the other painted parts dry a bit.

The way your going Joe, gonna need a new project for when retirement starts. Only so much time you can spend cutting the grass , hot tubing, and driving what ya got lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1