New Guy Here

jft69z

I'll try with the new Canon camera I picked up recently. Maybe it'll play nicer.

From the new camera. Couldn't upload it, kept getting a "-200" popup window. Mark? :confused:

Checked the valve adjustment from the initial cold setting, they were right on the money with it up to temp. (added .002" to hot value when setting them cold).

I didn't have the interface programmed at the time, but the fuel pressure & air/fuel ratio now work on the dash display. The Holley temp sensor, near the thermostat reads 180 degrees usually, and the Dakota-D one located on the cylinder head reads 195-200 typically. It may have been a little warm here because I had the A/C on for a while, topping off the refrigerant charge.

That's at an 800 RPM idle for now, may try to knock it down a few later. Depending where I look, the spec was 700-750 idle for a LS6.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akx6H-ABrxUb2G14z3ncEEaDdxW_?e=A01TPR

• Like 2

Can't answer the "-200" pop up, could be a file size or type error. On my Mac, its sketchy with no sound but on my Dell is clean and crisp with sound.

X2 sounds and looks good! And i'll reiterate I'm glad I didn't know about the Dakota Dash version you got, man it looks great! 

• Like 1

Yeah, so far I'm pretty happy with the dash setup. Looks stock for the most part, but has a lot of potential as far as available information at your fingertips. Plenty of things you can program for alarms, warning pop-ups, etc as well to alert you of trouble (both visual and audible warnings). It also has a Bluetooth app I discovered so you can program & monitor info there too. They have a lifetime warranty too, hopefully I'll never have to find out....

Mark, I tried loading that vid a couple of different times, plus on different computers, no go. Figured it may be a file size issue like you did, so just loaded it to the cloud and linked it there.

• Like 2

Yea, I downloaded it to my Mac, played fine but couldn't upload it to the site on either computer, -200 error. Even changed the file type and a no go. Cool vid for sure though 

Interior parts paint day.

Also got the M/C & 'CUSTOM" emblems put back in their original spots the other night. When the prior owner had the car painted and new top put on, they filled the holes with duraglass. 3+ hours with dental pics and pin vices with small drill bits, and the original holes were opened up (the barrel clips were full of filler). Also painted the 'Custom' emblems. Sad, but those, plus the oil dipstick were  the only parts the original chrome shop did for me, though I got them late last year.

Also got a call from the stainless trim gentleman, said everything was done already. About a  month earlier than expected. Picked it up yesterday and unwrapped a few parts. Looks like shiny candy! Real happy, it's nice to find someone that says what they are going to do, and then does what they said.

20200731_122135.jpg

20200731_122444.jpg

20200729_213437.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks Willie! I'm off for another week and a half, hope to get a lot done.

Time to scuff & buff the paint. I want to do this before putting the rest of the body panels, window mechanisms, interior, etc back in the car. Plus, if I screw it up, there's no point in assembling any further, because I'll be stripping the paint off sooner, rather than later (when I retire).

I did a little yesterday, looks like it'll buff out pretty nice. Supposedly, they used one of the top DuPont (Axalta) clear coats, which I usually use anyways, so it should be OK.

20200802_155004.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was going good for awhile. Got the doors & all the power windows installed. Need a little more adjusting on the passenger front, but no problem there.

Started noticing antifreeze on the floor....where it doesn't belong. Traced it to a freeze plug near the oil filter. Even though the engine was a brand new crate motor from GM, back in the late 80's and only probably has 1K miles on it, father time has struck. Looks like I'll be pulling it to do all of them, and probably a double roller timing set while it's out as well. It dawned on me after I installed the engine months ago, the factory gearset (with nylon gear teeth) was probably still in there. Decided at the time with the limited miles, it'll be fine. Well, here's the chance to correct that too (as well as a new rear main seal).

Two steps forward...eight steps back. Typical of this whole project.

20200809_160903.jpg

20200815_170352.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Yep I know the feeling. Your car is looking very nice. Keep plugging ( that’s what I have to tell myself) eventually you’ll get there. 

Thanks!. That's all I can do, just keep moving forward and wait for the next drama to unfold with this thing.

14 hours ago, DragCat said:

Well at least you have A/C in the shop lol 

LOL, yeah. It is nice & cool in there. Ready to burn the car though, :devil:

Don’t feel to bad. I just spent 3 1/2 hours putting a lock on a glove box. And the door was off the dash.😢😢😢😡😡😡🔥🔥🔥

• Haha 1

Thanks James. I'm pretty happy with it for now, at least it's presentable. Still plan to strip it down the road, but that's a battle for another day.

Going to start unbolting the engine today, but working a string of nights now then flip to a bunch of days & more nights (couple of hours a day maybe to work on it). Hope to maybe have it done in a week or two. Ordered the parts last night, should be here Tuesday. Glad I didn't put the front fenders on yet and line everything up...

How'd you make out with the hood hinges?

3 hours ago, MC-71 said:

Joe what brand are your jacks under your wheels?

They're BendPak RCD-1500EX Go-Cart dollies, Carl. I got the 13" wide ones to also fit my ZR1(12"+ wide) & truck ( they'll fit up to 39" tall tires). They have the smaller/regular sized ones that are cheaper.

Joe, she looks great!!!!!    I see you refer to her as a she also with (the drama) lol    How did you make out with your bumpers? I checked mine and I do not see any grinding groves. I do see wavy areas though.   1 step forward and 3 steps back.. lol   Keep on punching Joe

LOL, Willie. Nowadays, she might be a he, or a 'whatever', lol. All I know is, it's a pain in the arse.

I picked up the original bumper last week from the chrome shop in Erie, PA. It looks great. The rest of the small bits may be done this week, but the front grill will take a bunch more time he said.  He got the bumper done a month earlier than expected because he know it was a holdup for the exhaust fitment. I ended up cancelling the backordered 'Restoparts' one from Summit after I got this one. Though I was curious to see how it would have looked, I didn't want to screw Summit by just looking at it & then sending it back. They were really fantastic throughout the whole ordeal and probably cost them as much in shipping as the price of a bumper.

They ended up getting the money back Saturday though when I ordered the timing chain, rear seal, gaskets, etc for this latest episode. Hopefully it will all be together by the time the driveshaft is made (there was a 2 month backlog at Denny's), so I can at least take it for a spin this year.

• Like 1

You are moving along, I haven't even touched mine since Carlisle ( I am so embarrassed ) Got pissed I cant get into DMV to get it reg.  And a long "to do list" that I have been putting off trying to get the car done. Glad the bumper worked out finally, after all the b/s   

Carry on she does look great!!!

Moving backwards...

Popped the oil pan off & noticed the oil pump drive still had the nylon sleeve. Ordered that (with steel sleeve), the BB GM windage tray & 4 studs, and the valley cover heat shield from my GM dealer. Found the receipt for those same parts when I ordered them for the LS6 in the Z/28....dated 12-9-88. Part numbers were even the same except for the valley cover. Boy, I sure wish I would have bought the parts back then, nearly 1/4 the price compared to today. 

20200819_203141.jpg

20200819_203455.jpg

20200819_203456.jpg

• Like 2