Vinyl Trim Holes

MonteMack

So I finally peeled the vinyl off my 72 and was pleasantly surprised to see 0 rust. Anyways this weekend i plan on taking the vinyl trim off and mig welding all the holes shut. Anyone done this before and have a more effecient way of doing so? Cheers,

Mackenzie.

Hey Mackenzie,

If you still have a headliner in your Monte you may not want to weld. I have removed the "pins" for the vinyl top by pulling them out and welding the holes and by grinding/cutting the pins off. 

I have found the grinding/cutting the pins off to be the best method for me. Less body work which means less to go wrong later down the road. The holes for the corners will be welded up. 

Good luck! 

Tom

Mackenzie,

If you like the look of the multi color look the Vinyl Roof provides BUT are afraid of the possible rust issues a vinyl roof creates you could make your car into a two-tone painted car.  The contrasting colors look great on a Monte.  Mine is a factory two tone painted car and when most people see it they assume it is a vinyl roof car.

By doing this you would have no grinding, or welding because Chevrolet used the same vinyl roof trim on the two-tone cars to separate the two colors.

rob

What ever holes you can get to the back side use copper or brass block behind the holes it helps to keep the heat down and blow through from the welder and weld won't stick to it. I used an old brass cabinet hinge on my holes worked great. Good luck