Stock cylinder heads small block

Dorknozzle

Hey guys.

My first car was a 1970 MC triple Green with buckets and console shifter. It had a 350 / 300hp engine at the time. I wore that engine out and replaced it with a used 327 prior to selling the car. My old 350 sat on a stand for years before my dad rebuilt it and put it in his 48 Ford Panel truck. I was young and dumb at that period in time and did not care to follow the progression of the rebuild all the way to my dad's truck, so parts may have been switched or possibly cores could have been swapped.

Now I have finally replaced my first car with a clone and the only thing that will make me happier is when I swap my original Monte motor out of my dad's truck and put it into my current Monte. That will bring me as close to my first car as I will probably ever get. 

The reason I am about to ask for some help is because I was telling this story to a guy that I know is a 1st Gen nut and when he looked at the engine in the panel truck he said that it was probably not my engine because it did not have camel hump heads. I can't seem to find any information that calls out the heads for a 1970 350cid 300hp Turbo-Fire engine. So....

Questions:

1. Where do I look to get the complete specs (including the heads) for the 1970 350/300hp engine?

2. Did they in fact have double hump heads?

3. What should I look for on my old engine in my dad's panel truck to identify some of the markings and confirm that is is in fact my old engine? (I do not have my old VIN)

Thanks for your time,

Jason

sorry to change topic. could anyone explain the difference between the stock/factory dash and omgi replacement ss dash. what do I have to change as far as guage cluster as my car has idiot lights. car has separate autometer gauges added on. if its easier call 315 633 5293

Hi Jason, 1st off , Welcome to the Club! Interesting story on your engine. You can find information on all SBC and BBC engines on Mortec.com It gives years and cylinder head /engine block numbers and the years they were made. The pad that sticks out from the passenger side of block where the cylinder head bolts (behind the alternator) will show you numbers and letters. Those numbers would match some where on your VIN of the Monte. Camel hump heads will have  (6-7) raised numbers under the valve cover they also will have the date made. If they are camel hump heads the last 3 digits would be 461or 462. these were used on Alot of SBC engines. your block should also have raised numbers on the back of block (driver's side) , I think 6 numbers and the last should be  010 that would mean a 4 boltmain block. I'm sure that others on the board will chime in on this. I have a '72 block and cylinder heads from '72 also except they are both form a truck. It doesn't matter too me just the '72 side. I built this motor (10yrs.) before I found my Monte Carlo. post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

I don't think you car would have the double hump heads. They were usually found on engines rated over 350hp. Look on the pad under the alternator there should be numbers that will help. You can also look on the back of the block near distributor for date and casting numbers.good luck

With it being a 1970  350/300 hp engine it most likely had 64 cc chamber heads. The early camel hump heads (64 cc chamber) were casting # 461 and 462  and I think there are a few others. If my thinking is correct,   64cc heads being used on a 1970 engine it would of had accessory holes in the front of the heads. The 461's and 462's didn't have accessory holes. These heads would be the ones (there may be other casting s #) that might of been used. 

3927186....69-70...302/350......Camel hump,64cc chambers, accessory holes

3927187....69-70...350..........Camel hump,64cc chambers,accessory holes

3991492....70......350..........LT1,Camel hump, accessory holes,64cc, straight plug

I hope this makes sense.

Edited by dejh22
Add casting number

Found this on a forum.

"Sometimes the head casting number can help you identify a 350/350, but not always. Heads with the casting number 3947041 were only used on 350/300's, while the 3927187 was used exclusively for the 350/350. Unfortunately, casting 3927186 was used for both 300 and 350 horse engines. An engine with "187" heads, is likely a L-46, and one with "041" heads is a base motor, but if it has "186" heads, it could be either."

Thanks guys.

The panel truck is at my dad's house in Florida for the winter, so I won't be able to check out any numbers until spring. Unfortunately I was just there 3 weeks ago, but didn't think about this until I got home and started thinking about upcoming car projects. Just my luck.

I will be revisiting this thread as I start to dissect my current 350 in the Monte and a set of extra camel heads I have on a shelf to see if I can make any sense of this while I wait for the panel to get back to Michigan.

Thanks again for all of the info above.