bench to bucket

mmccammon

Many people have done this.  Buckets, because they were used in other vehicles other than the Monte are available.  In some cases the tracks are harder to find than the seats themselves.  The seats are not cheap but can be found.  The console is a little harder to find in decent shape.  Many will need considerable work.  If you were thinking about moving from column shifter to a console shifter that is a bit of work.

rob

Hi mmccammon. Like Rob said, you can find used buckets or even purchase them new, same with the console. You can buy bucket seat brackets and a console bracket for a conversion. I did this for my 4speed Monte after installing a doner floor. As for a column shifter to floor shifter you can change the column. Alot of work? Yes and no. Alot of options to choose from. 

IMG_20190209_165815.jpg

Like said, new seats are available but are expensive. Expect to pay $300~$600 for a used pair plus shipping and you’ll need to have them upholstered to match the Monte interior. All the plastics, seat sides & backs, console and console lid are offered as reproduction parts as are door & side panels. Black is easiest and the aftermarket only offers headrests in black. Also mentioned above, weld in brackets for bucket seats and floor console are available. I suggest you use the seats to locate the brackets for welding, don’t do these by measuring.

I have a PDF that shows where all the brackets for the console goes. If you’re like me and you can’t weld to save your life, the brackets can be bolted in with extra flat head bolts poked up from the bottom, undercoating covers them nicely.

You’ll need to search for the steering column, or get lucky and find just the collar without the shift handle hole.

Speedometers without the gear indicator are available new but can be costly.

Then there’s the wiring. “Correct” wiring places the neutral safety and backup lights switches in the console. Leaving the trans linkage connected to the steering column allows you to not add the wiring and switches to the console, you’ll only need to add a wire for the shifter lens lamps (for the automatic shifter).

• 2 months later...

If okay to ask, what about just bucket conversion. I will be using a hurst floor shifter no center console. I want to use some buckets from a 70s olds/Pontiac.  Do I sit them in and Mark them them weld in supports for holes?

Here are some measurements my brother and I took from an original bucket seat car. The only original seat mount hole you will use is driver's side rear so use that as a measurement point. Good luck

KIMG0566.JPG

KIMG0567.JPG

• 8 months later...

I found this years ago when I thought of doing it, never did.

The buckets I bought were from a 72 that did NOT have a center counsel, so that is easier to do.

Pic 1 (2018_09_10 19_26_22 UTC).jpg

Pic 2 (2018_09_10 19_26_22 UTC).jpg

Pic 3 (2018_09_10 19_26_22 UTC).jpg

Pic 4 (2018_09_10 19_26_22 UTC).jpg