Sign in to follow this  
DragCat

1970 SS 454

Reposting this in the 454 section, maybe someone knows the car, owner. The pictures look professional, someone mentioned it was a catalog cover car a few years back, last date on trophies pictured 2016 so might have been off the grid. Flying cross country to look at it is an additional expense not knowing anything

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo/123691695055?hash=item1ccc997bcf:g:AKQAAOSw02FcjA-X

Yes, was the cover car for Original Parts Groups Monte Carlo catalog. 2017 or 16 I believe. Had a small write up in the catalog about the car. I do not believe anyone would be disappointed in this particular Monte. I will try to find the catalog, if I still have it. 

If you go online and type in OPG customer car spotlight 1970 Monte Carlo SS 454 the article comes up. Good luck looks like a really nice car and has some good info on the car says owner spent $30k on the resto in 2010.

Thanks for the link, I'll try and call him later today (3 hour time diff) I did send an introduction email through Ebay, not looking forward to flying to SoCal but a mans gotta do what he can when on the hunt for a nice Monte 

I just did the same thing. well an little backwards. I bought it then flew out to see it.  I am no pro but it looks nice. hope you get to see it

Thanks Antoine, yes I was following the thread on your purchase. No right or wrong way, whatever works. How are you getting yours home, I'll have to arrange shipping if I buy it, will definitely be doing enclosed trailer. 

Flight booked to fly out Wednesday, so keeping my fingers crossed. Spoke to the gentleman for about 45 minutes on the phone, seemed like a very decent up front guy is thats a good thing. 

in my case I emailed him before the auction ended. it was cause of the build sheet I went after it. when he told me his reserve I told him I didnt want to waste his time but he gave me a hint he would sell for less. I jumped on it wired him the money. the owner arranged shipping he paid half the company is called Reliable and they have enclosed trailers and they dont sub contract. I'll keep following the other thread let me know how it goes. 

Yea unfortunately I don't get a build sheet, and there are little things people picked out, air cleaner decal, steering wheel column, and I picked out the "by chevrolet" under the rear trunk lid which was in 71 should be SS in the 70 model. But just little things in contrast. Engine, tranny, rear all are correct by the numbers and NO RUST lol. 

Reliable was on my check list, as well as Horseless Carriage ( I have used them before) and I think there is another one that begins with an I that the name escapes me. The seller already agreed he would meet the truck and load it when the time comes if we do the deal.  

I'm apprehensive but excited, flying out Wed am and the redeye back, a long day. The one thing it has that I thought I was going to have to drop from my checklist was PW, and the IP is all gauges, no idiot lights. If the car is as advertised and of what me and the seller spoke of I see no reason I won't be the new owner, and happy about it. 

what matter is that your happy. the items you question can be returned to original later if you choose. you got the important stuff. numbers matching with with the pew and up. I did thensameni flew.into detroit around 10am and flew back out by 6pm. had to drive 90 miles 1 way to see the car

70 SS  has by Chevrolet. The 71 has SS  where the by Chevrolet should be along with extra upper trim and a blacked out tail panel. 

12 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

70 SS  has by Chevrolet. The 71 has SS  where the by Chevrolet should be along with extra upper trim and a blacked out tail panel. 

Your absolutely correct, I read it backwards 

UPDATE: I bought the Monte !!!!!! Yea i'm jazzed / excited to say the least. The car was exactly as described when I talked to the owner and even better. For those who have gone to look at cars that are far from described you know what I mean. The only downside was it rained the whole time I was there, and we had to do the test drive in the rain. But on the upside we spent a lot of time in the garage talking and going over the Monte waiting for a hold on the rain. The owner was extremely knowledgeable and generous with sharing his information with a first time MC buyer. The car should be on the truck heading to me next week, I can't wait! I'll take pictures when it arrives. It feels like forever I've been searching, and it has been a long road but persistence paid off. Thanks to everyone on the forums for sharing their thoughts and knowledge with me on my quest. 

congratulations on the new ride. it is a looker for sure glad you had a good experience

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  You got a great example of a first generation SS!!!! 

Thanks guys, like I said, I'm jazzed. Antoine i'll be following your progress in your posts and watching for when you get yours home.

so far it's not in for paint. I did order all the seals and got them over to the body shop. I will probably fly back in April for a long weekend and take my daughter. make it a trip for her. I will post more when I get it.

Congratulations on finding what you were looking for.. Don't forget, We Love Pictures.  Keep us posted.  The trip with your daughter sounds nice.

rob

Whoop, Whoop!! Congrats, looks like a beautiful Monte

Congrats on your Monte Carlo. Just was looking through the new OPG catalog and parts of the car are still in the catalog to show parts. Best of luck with it!!!

Congrats!!! Very nice looking car, I'm glad you found what you were looking for and welcome to the Dark Green interior club!!! NO there isn't really a Dark Green Interior Club....enjoy your new ride.