400 Kickdown cable

I have the 400 turbo and recently a person told me that I should have a kickdown cable. I usually just grab a gear if I wanna get on it or pass, but now I'm wondering if this critter exists. Thanks for the help...anyone. eek

BB

The TH-400 has a kickdown switch attached to the drivers side of the carb. There may also be an A/C hi idle solenoid if you have A/C. Take a look at your carb and see if maybe you have 2 items in that location.

rob there show be a stwich just above the gas padle for the kick down on the 400. there should be two wires i believe there r orange and black which runs down to the trans. that should be the only kickdown for the 400. no cable need since its a elec kickdown. BB

The TH400 uses an electric kickdown. The switch is located above the gas pedal. You will notice, if you have a big block and still have the factory Q'jet, that the kickdown portion of the throttle braket has been removed by the factory. That's because the factory intake manifold doesn't allow enough room for the full-sized bracket to swing in an arc without hitting the manifold. Thus, Montes (and I think Chevelles) that came with a big block all had TH400's.

The Chevelle / Monte Carlo had the kickdown switch mounted with the gas pedal (as has been mentioned above) the 70 Chevrolet / Nova has the kickdown switch mounted on the carburator. Since my Monte had a TH350, it has no gas pedal switch or wiring.

I now have a TH400 in mine, I am looking for one of those switches that mount to the carb like on the Nova.

• 1 month later...

Go to the junkyard! Just about all of the full sized GM cars except chevy ran 400 turbos If I remember, the switch and bracket and wire connector are all the same. Two bolts hold it in. To set once installed, push square sliding part that sticks out of the back, forward into the switch. This may take some effort. Then floor pedal. Switch is set. One wire comes from Key On power to the switch, the other goes to the trans. There may be 2 terminals on the trans. One is for downshift, the other, timing delay. When the car is off, the downsift terminal will have some continuity to ground, and the delay terminal will not. You must hook the downshift up, or it could cause premature wear on high gear clutches, due to lower engagement pressures, or so I was told.

• 1 month later...