CD2 and other options questions

gdubya

I have a 70 SS with the CD2 washer jar monitor. I have read that it is a rare option overall but what about on a SS. How many 70SS came with that option?  Also, where can I get parts and the schematic for the system. I have attached the build sheet for you to see and need help with the radio and mirror lamp codes would be. Any idea on what the radio type might be?

attached photo of car too. 😀

26D720BC-3BFF-4358-8161-63CD74397660.jpeg

84617C4B-8653-4BB5-9478-6D9412DA6089.jpeg

20976F22-B3F7-4286-A3F9-DBD2C8DB06AB.jpeg

Great looking car! Very well optioned too.

The washer fluid monitor isn’t all that rare. I have seen many 70 Montes with that feature. It was not available in 71 or 72. The AM FM 8-track on the other hand is fairly rare.

Thanks. Does anyone know the option code for the radio?  Also, any idea on the “mirror lamp” option?  Is that the rearview mirror lamp?

UF1 is the code for the rear view mirror light.  I also noticed the code for the Heavy Duty Battery is torn out of it and that code is T60.  As Aaron said, the wash bottle monitor is not extremely rare.  I think the visor mirror is more rare than the wash bottle monitor.

As far as a wiring diagram for the wash bottle monitor, unfortunately it is not listed in the wiring diagrams.  If I had my assembly manual here at the house I would check that but it is not here at the house.  I can tell you that the power wire goes directly into the wiper motor plug if it was factory installed and I think if it was dealer installed it may be spliced into one of the wires in that same plug.

rob

They are not reproduced by any vendors.  One of our members had some of the floats reproduced but I don't know of any vendors reproducing the other parts.  You have to keep searching on line for used ones.

rob

Looks like your car was ordered for an executive!

Charged to Chevrolet Motor Division delivered to local dealer.

Have not seen all that many "Zone Cars"/"Brass hat" build sheets.

This is the first one I've ever seen that lists the name of the person who I assume  the car was ordered for!

I think that is more rare than any of the options...lol Congrats! great car!

1 hour ago, DaveC said:

Looks like your car was ordered for an executive!

Charged to Chevrolet Motor Division delivered to local dealer.

Have not seen all that many "Zone Cars"/"Brass hat" build sheets.

This is the first one I've ever seen that lists the name of the person who I assume  the car was ordered for!

I think that is more rare than any of the options...lol Congrats! great car!

Dan Janes also has one here at the fgmcc, these are Sales and Marketing Cars that were used by the sales marketers from each plant to go to the gm dealers and for brochure design delivery and advertising and marketing. yes executive cars....

There was a high optioned white 70 monte that sold on Ebay and was one of the same and sold for $26,000usd it was a SB car, used by a Plant office Executive... real cool as well.

Darren 

Were the PA3 wheel covers not the ones with paint matching the body color? I have a set that match my car that I got with a parts car years ago, before I bought the SS. 

Dan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LS5 said:

Dan Janes also has one here at the fgmcc, these are Sales and Marketing Cars that were used by the sales marketers from each plant to go to the gm dealers and for brochure design delivery and advertising and marketing. yes executive cars....

There was a high optioned white 70 monte that sold on Ebay and was one of the same and sold for $26,000usd it was a SB car, used by a Plant office Executive... real cool as well.

Darren 

My 71 SS is a highly optioned Zone car, the "charge to" and "ship to" are both hand written  on the build sheet.

I've never seen one like this with, who i assume the intended recipients, name printed on the sheet as well. pretty cool imo.

Darren, your first hand knowledge is invaluable! when others like my self can guess and hypothesize, you've been there, done it, and seen it!:2beers:

I have a few other sheets with "bypass code 4" and "bypass code 2" printed in the body below the options, assuming they were doing something out of the ordinary in these builds?

Hope all is well!

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. Love learning the history of the car. My dad bought it from a guy 20years ago and restored it  I bought it from him and now going through and making it as correct as possible.

Does anyone have a picture of the washer jar monitor system including the correct jar?  I want to know what I need to find. 

In 1970, 40,630 Chevelle/Malibu/El Camino/Monte Carlos were built with the CD2 windshield washer fluid level monitor.

The ZJ9 auxiliary lighting group (under hood, trunk, courtesy, map and ashtray) was ordered in 40,945 vehicles.

The U46 lamp monitoring system (the lights on the fender tops and in the rear deck) was ordered on 5,755 vehicles.

The UM2 push button AM/FM radio & tape player was ordered in 4,532 cars.

There's no way to break out how many Monte Carlo cars got any of these options.

Of note, there were 3,929 of the rear shock absorber level control installed, 3,823 of which HAD to go into the Monte Carlo SS. This means 106 buyers ordered it in other cars, Montes and Chevelles.

But I will say you have a nicely optioned car.

GM would hand out to executives and sales staff plenty of a new for the year model, in this case, 1970 was the roll out year for the Monte Carlo. GM wanted it seen. Show them off and get some sales!