Interior brake pedal pad

Windjamer14

always thought that 1970 had disc emblem as you could get drum brakes on a 70 monte , 71-72 disc brakes were standard , that being said gm had a way of using up parts in the plant , so each plant may have had different stock volumns and carried the disc pad until inventory ran out , that was normal when i worked in the auto industry

Leo

On 4/20/2019 at 4:14 PM, KLASSIK1 said:

always thought that 1970 had disc emblem as you could get drum brakes on a 70 monte ,

I've not previously heard of front drum brakes being available on a '70 Monte.  Both Build Sheets  of my '70s show RPO J50 Power Brakes and RPO JL2 Pwr Disc Frt with an asterisk in front of them which means "Standard" according to the legend in the lower right corner.   Was there also a Drum Brake or Disc Brake Delete Option?  Has anyone ever encountered front drum brakes (from the factory) on a '70 Monte?

P6010038.JPG

P6010037.JPG

P2154870.JPG

P2154869.JPG

There was a car I think I saw on Facebook that came with front drums. Because not everybody was "into" the new idea of disc brakes, and because front drums were standard on other GM A-body cars, it could be ordered. I'm not sure what years front drums could be requested on these cars.

3 hours ago, MCfan said:

...with an asterisk in front of them which means "Standard" according to the legend in the lower right corner.

I wonder what the = indicates?

I have had a few 70s with drum brakes and even a 71 drum brakes, column shift 3 speed, bucket seat car. Mulsane blue white painted top. Wish I had that one still. I was 18 and purchased it as a parts car. It was rough.