turbo 400 electrical plug

rsorg

i have a 72 with a 454 turbo400 trans the plug that has 2 wires going to it are orange and black the plug is original and does not seem to want to clip or seal onto the trans fitting ,can the black rubber be bought new it seems mine is very hard and does to seem to snap onto the fitting , can the wires be spliced in ,thanks

Are you referring to the kickdown, shown here?

Turbo400_Kick_down_repair01.jpg

Does the clip look like this?

17565.jpg

If the clips won't go onto the spades, you should be able to pull them from the connector and squeeze them back together, or buy a new harness for $25.

cody , yes the picture on op is exactly what i have also there is a clip above that ,that holds the wires in place ,my black rubber boot is really dry rotted and is original and won't snap onto the white or clear piece coming off the trans that might explain why my kick down works only some times, can that plug be bought and the wires spliced thanks a lot

Idk if the boot/harness is available. What you can do in the meantime is use cutting pliers/dikes and cut 2 cuts opposite each other. This will allow the boot to expand enough to snap over the connection on the transmission. This is an old trick I learned way back when, when  I used to be a transmission installer

i  will try cutting the boot, to further the install, could this be why my passing gear does not want to kick down when i mash on the gas ,sometimes it will kick down sometimes it wont,thanks

Could also be the kick down switch that the accelerator/gas pedal activates. With age the coil inside sags and makes intermittent contact. Like when (those that know) your afx/Tyco  slot car controller would work intermittently and you would bend the slide to contact all the time, only you can't do that with the kickdown switch. Lol