Update and question

smokinquack

Finally got the timing set, did a little tweaking on the quadrajet, and for the first time I'm burning rubber.  The radiator has some scale in it, I assume it is the original. Are these copper/brass not aluminum? It looks blue under the paint. Can I clean this out at home or should I take it out and take it to a shop?           70 SS454    Thanks

Resized_20190423_095518_4381.jpeg

Resized_20190423_095611_1930.jpeg

your radiator is copper brass and lead. I have not had much luck cleaning them out. the scales breakdown and settle in your radiator. possibly cause more plugging and possible overheating. i would find a radiator shop that does radiators in house, it's a dying trade. you could also order an aftermarket one like an OEM or you can go aluminum. 

My red 71 SS I had a few years ago was not running cool enough. The original 3-core rad just wasn't doing its job anymore. I had a hard time finding a new rad that had the same tanks to look correct so I took the rad into a rad shop and had him use the stock tanks but made it a 4-core rad. It still looked stock but now had much better cooling. It cost me a lot more than a new reproduction rad but I imagine this refurbished one will last a long time so it was worth it.

• Like 1