Build sheets

SmokinMC88

Today I dropped my gas tank to put in a new sending unit and behold I found another build sheet. So far that makes 4 build sheets for this car. First one was under the drivers seat, second was stuck inside the drivers front fender, most of It was undercoated over, third was behind the back seat and now this is the fourth. Besides the fender one I have the other 3. And obviously the tank sheet being in the worse condition. My monte was built at the Leeds plant in Kansas City.  Just wanted to share so if others know where they might be hidden!

image.jpg

• Like 3

Congrats Brian!!!!  That is great news, most people are lucky to find 1 never mind 4. Good for you. I love your color combo.

I also have a question to confirm what we have been talking about in another forum. Your car was built in Kansas City and you have a 350ci, the question I have is, does your trim tag have a "L" on it under your color code number?

It’s always a nice surprise finding stuff like this, especially when you’re not looking! Mine is a 4 spd car so it’s nice having multiple pieces of documents to verify that it’s a true 4 spd. I do not have the protecto plate but I have the window sticker and dealer invoice.  Here is a picture of the dealer invoice in case someone had never seen one before. 

274A7552-EDE8-4A23-819A-AEEF11631ABB.jpeg

Brian did you have her since she was new? That's a ton of paperwork to go with her. Fantastic!!!

Yes in another forum we were talking about a round about way to see if a car with a "L" on the trim tag was born a real SS at Kansas City. It seems to be true, but I hope some other 350 Monte guys will chime in to see if its true.

Thanks for posting the trim tag Brian.

No haven’t owned it since new, the car is 10 years older then I am!!! I’ve had it for about 15 years now but I did get a lot of paperwork with it when I bought it. Looked for a Monte like this one for about 5 years before I found it. I’ve been just trying to put it back as close as I can to original as possible. I just happened to run across an original dealer emblem on eBay so I picked it up and put it on the car yesterday. 

86D904F5-3292-4033-B5B3-579F8DF3475C.jpeg

• Like 1

Willie, my understanding is that the L on the body tag on a Kansas car indicated Big Block, but not necessarily an SS. Is that what you are finding on the other site.

Yes Vaughn, in another post here we were discussing it. From what I understand, if the car has an "L" on the trim tag it was born with a Big Block, and doesn't that back it into being a SS?  Al least that's what I took it as.

44 minutes ago, willie said:

Yes Vaughn, in another post here we were discussing it. From what I understand, if the car has an "L" on the trim tag it was born with a Big Block, and doesn't that back it into being a SS?  Al least that's what I took it as.

There was the 402 big block offered as well so not necessarily does it have to be an SS.  

I have my protecto plate,  window sticker,  invoice and a whole lot of original paperwork but didn't find not one build sheet!!! Needless to say, I'm jealous!!

Steve

I was looking at my build sheet and the Power steering pump box is blank. I’m thinking the car was ordered with power steering. I had it on now so it couldn’t have been added later, has anyone seen a Monte without power steering?

A5E973B8-A69C-49AE-A90D-3D737289404C.jpeg

Brian,

My '70 4-speed Monte was built without power steering and that is also reflected in box 34 on its Build Sheet (photo below).  My '70 SS was built with power steering and had the code "DE" in box 34 of its Build Sheet.  I see the '71 Build Sheet uses box 32 for the power steering pump and pulley code.  There is a fairly common misconception that PS was standard on first gen Montes, but it was not, at least on the '70.P2154868.thumb.JPG.1fa31c55ea32ba85a55fee5840c78eb9.JPG

It's not only possible to add factory power steering, it is fairly straight forward.  You just need to get all the additional parts together (pump, mounting brackets, pulley, belt, hoses, fluid, etc.) and swap out the manual steering box with the power steering box.  I did this on my '70 4-speed because it was an absolute bear to parallel park or maneuver in any tight place without using both hands on the wheel and still shifting the transmission.

I got my power steering set up from a local salvage guy who was parting out a couple of first gen Montes.  There is a low cost rebuild kit that I first installed before mounting the pump.  The most difficult part of the conversion was finding the correct high pressure hose.  The salvage guy wanted my manual box for his '70 442 since he was driving it with a power steering box that was not hooked up to a pump so the manual box was "easier" (no kidding!).

Step 07.JPG

Step 10.JPG

PB020336.JPG

PB020329.JPG

Dennis,

Thanks for all the info and pictures. Mine does have power steering on it now. Even though the original owner ordered the car without power steering he put it on at some point. It’s a newer style pump then what they originally used. I’d like to swap it one with the correct style, like you have on yours, but for now it works great and doesn’t leak so I’m going to leave it. You said you got parts for 1st gen Montes from a salvage guy, Was that in MN? I’m also in MN. 

On 5/3/2019 at 11:51 AM, SmokinMC88 said:

You said you got parts for 1st gen Montes from a salvage guy, Was that in MN? I’m also in MN. 

Brian,

No, the salvage guy I know and use is in Cleveland, FL since my '70 4-speed lives in Punta Gorda, FL.  I have found Jeep parts at a salvage yard in Brainerd, MN  but have not searched for any first gen Monte parts there. I can stop by there when I'm in town next and see if they have any first gen power steering setups, if you want.

On 5/6/2019 at 10:18 PM, MCfan said:

Brian,

No, the salvage guy I know and use is in Cleveland, FL since my '70 4-speed lives in Punta Gorda, FL.  I have found Jeep parts at a salvage yard in Brainerd, MN  but have not searched for any first gen Monte parts there. I can stop by there when I'm in town next and see if they have any first gen power steering setups, if you want.

No that’s ok, you don’t need to go through the trouble. Even though my ps pump isn’t exactly correct I’m just going to leave it for now since it’s not leaking and works great. Thanks though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Already have one Build Sheet in Great Condition for my 72. Currently, I have the rear seat out to recover it. Found a Build Sheet behind the Backrest, but it is not for my car!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 9:18 PM, RH72 said:

Already have one Build Sheet in Great Condition for my 72. Currently, I have the rear seat out to recover it. Found a Build Sheet behind the Backrest, but it is not for my car!

That’s interesting, so the seat must have been swapped out at some point, maybe even on the assembly line!

• Like 1

When I worked for Olds back in 73 I had to switch over several cars that came in without power steering to power steering. We would just go out to lot and find one with it and switch it over, it was mostly on the Omegas. It's not a real hard job.

1 hour ago, SmokinMC88 said:

That’s interesting, so the seat must have been swapped out at some point, maybe even on the assembly line!

No, this does not mean the seat was swapped at some point after the car left the factory.  I found a build sheet from a different Monte in mine.  There was not a big difference in the two production numbers between these two cars.  The seats were covered and sent to the assembly line and if there were two cars getting the same color and type it is more likely they just grabbed the wrong one down on the assembly line floor.

rob

• Like 1