ok, now I'm REALLY confused!

kc8oye

as you know, I swapped in a 700r4.. that appears to have no 2nd gear...

here's where it gets wierd.. if I take it out, and give it some resonable amounts of throttle (close to 1/2 throttle) the first 3 gears are there and work just fine!!! it up and downshifts just fine. but if I roll away from the light very slowly, I don't have 2nd gear until I get into it.

I even arbitrrairly pulled the TV cable tigher just incase I mis-adjusted it.. no effect.. so I'm a little lost at this point!

I haven't been able to get up to speeds high enough to get into 4th yet. even with the TV cable pulled all the way out, it's still not out far enough (gotta make an extension for the bracket) so it may not go into forth because It thinks I have my foot 'in the gas' smile

Tim, it could be that there is some dirt/dust in the valve body. Sometimes the shift valves can get stuck, and if you rev it higher, the higher line pressure is enough to free up the valves. I'd run it for a little while and see if it cleared itself up.

The TV cable and adjustment is critical . Do you run and aftermarket carburetor ? The geometry has to be correct for the cable to pull correctly . DO some study at www.700R4.com ( Bowtie Overdrive ). They sell some kits to adapt Edelbrock and Holley carbs.

I read 700r4.com they had nothing useful.

I'm using a quadrajet. the cable is being pulled straight out of the jacket.

but it's ONLY 2nd gear that acts up... 1st and 3rd are just fine.

now, I KNOW the TV cable is actully set 'too tight' so it won't let me into 4th gear at normal road speeds (45-50mph) I have to extend my TV cable bracket tomorrow.

but it gets wierder!!!!

on the way home, 2nd gear was working just fine.. up and down at any throttle position. and usually once I shut the car off it starts acting up again, but was ok this time.. so I think you are right either a valve is sticky, or maybe the 2nd gear servo is sticking.... but I'm gonna drive it around a little bi t tomorrow and see if it gets any better.

man i LOVE that low 1st gear smile

well, as it turns out, it was partially that I had the TV cable set too tight, and what felt like no second gear, was actully the trans refusing to upshift into 2nd. but being in OD or Drive, there was no engine braking in 1st, so it felt like no second gear. I was demonstrating to a buddy of mine what it was doing, when I discovered if I just put my foot back into it, it'd rev up, and bark the tires and go like heck.. so I relized it was still in 1st.

I built an extension for the kickdown cable bracketI bought (obviously meant for a TH350 style cable) and got the cable set somewhat loose, and it would act up a little bit, but then start shifting very early, like I would expect it too.

after driving it like I stole it for an hour, it started behaving like it should. I'm still having issues with no automatic down-shifts except for a 4-3, but it's good enough I don't mind driving it around.. even drove it the 80 miles round trip to work and back for two days in a row smile

nothing yet leo :P~

the trans still refuses to shift correctly on its own. stuck valve or whatever.. when it's cold, it shifts hard & late, as it warms up, it reverts to really early shifts and the famous GM Slush'o'matic... but it's totally driveable.. and I love it smile

tho hitting OverDRive at 35mph is a bit streneous on the engine wink

Guest Phils72

What kind of tranny do you have? It sounds like your TV valve is sticking if it's a 700R4. This controls your trans pressure as the throttle moves. If it's sticking it will cause the problems that you are having

yeah it's a 700r4 phil. And that's basicly the conclusion I came up with. i'm just going to let it be until I can get it rebuilt. it's not too bad while i'm just rolling, but if I want to really get on it, I have to shift myself.

oh believe me.. I CAN complain leo.. LOL... but I'm not complaining.. just trying to figure the malfunction out. I'm not to worried about it now.. i just let the trans do what it wants most of the time, and when I wanna do what I want.. I just manually shift it smile