71 SS454 sold for $40k

overdrive

There was a very nicely restored, matching numbers, triple black '71 SS454 that sold at a local classic car auction yesterday. I looked it over pretty good. The seller had it for 1 year. He bought it at Mecum Kissimmee and paid $34k plus premium. He had changed a few things to his liking. Changed the entire dash out because he didn't like the woodgrain. It had a new dash with chrome where silver would be, and in other places. It had a few things that needed attention/ repaired, but overall a great car. Power bench seat, windows, locks, tilt, non-working load leveling. It had 9k miles since being restored. I gave the new Iowa owner ( Dave) a card with this club information. 

Dan

20190519_122531.jpg

20190519_111946.jpg

20190519_112902.jpg

20190519_111952.jpg

Yes, he bought it last year, he told me. The new owner was getting the original dash to put back in. The glue in the sail panel covers had let go and they needed redone. The mudflaps would come off in about 10 minutes. 

Dan 

I haven't seen many SS auction prices, but I thought this one did better than it would. Maybe I should reconsider the insurance agreed value on my car. 

Dan

Wow $40k! Geez that’s $52k Canadian. I have an agreed value of $45k but mine is not fully restored like that one.

I agree it had a few things that aren’t correct for those who want a stock 71 SS but they were easy to change. Looks like a nice car.

• Like 1

nice car, i agree with increasing the value insured for my car also, all it takes is an uninsured motorist to wreck my car,

21 hours ago, overdrive said:

Yes, he bought it last year, he told me. The new owner was getting the original dash to put back in. The glue in the sail panel covers had let go and they needed redone. The mudflaps would come off in about 10 minutes. 

Dan 

Sorry I was mistaken, it was at Mecum 2018. I forgot it had bench seats. 40K should make current SS owners happy, shoppers not so much. Found the original Mecum  post with more pictures 

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-321401/1971-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

I have no less than 25k on any of my montes. I think one is 30 and 35. All run of the mill cars 

Dan if I was you I'd have at least 50k on your SS

It always makes me laugh when someone says a first generation Monte Carlo will never be worth what a SS Chevelle is but yet they are selling for more than I paid for my 57 Chevrolet so they are getting to be out of most people's price range including my own..$40,000 is not chump change!