front suspenion overhaul

guys i have a 72 with a 454 and the last time the front springs were replaced in1980, i was thinking of having my front end rebuilt ,car rides great and have no issues but the other day i noticed the rubber bushings on the top a arms are shot,  i have a local shop that i would like to get a quote from ,but don't know what a good price would be , my biggest  FEAR would be installing the one of the many different  big block springs available ,andnot liking the correct  car height, thanks roger

Roger, name brand rubber bushings are all pretty good, I'd choose Moog or ACDelco. Don't use urethane bushings.

For hard parts, including ball joints, Proforged is considered a better product than Moog and I recommend it.

Unless you're trying to stay stock or are on a budget, consider adjustable coil overs from Viking. They make a great product and you can adjust your ride height and shock compression & rebound if you get the double adjustable version. Mine are awesome.

If there are no issues with the springs and you kike the current stance why not keep the springs and just rebuild the A-Arms bushings and ball joints and check the shocks.  After that long they may be leaking.   As far as prices, if you have the time and proper tools you could do it yourself.  I did mine a number of years ago and all is still good.  

As far as the bushings are concerned.  I went with the original rubber as opposed to the Poly Bushings.  I heard too many issues with the Poly bushings to try to go with them but to each their own.  The Poly bushings from what others had mentioned tended to squeak a lot.

rob

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Rob, if your happy with the springs in it now, keep'em. It seems to be a crap shoot with ride height when changing springs. Just change bushings, shocks & carry on.

I have the Viking coil overs in my Chevelle that Paul suggested and I love them. Yes, pricey but not compared to other brand coil overs and the ability to adjust ride height is awesome.

I also have poly bushings in my Chevelle (since 1990) and they don't squeek like everyone refers to BUT, I searched out PolyGraphite bushings not just standard polyurethane. They are available from a company called PST, on e-bay. Last winter I put a set of the polygraphite PST bushing in my Monte and have my fingers crossed they are as good as what is in my Chevelle. Time will tell, but happy so far with only 1000 miles.

BTW, I paid $250 to have a local shop press the old bushings out and the new in, after I removed the arms from the car. I felt that was pretty steep, but they also changed 1 ball joint that was questionable.

Scott

Scott, I bought a polygraphite front end rebuild kit from P-S-T almost a decade ago, and only just got around to installing it, and its mostly still like new, they make good products, I just hope they don't squeak! I have hope hearing about your Chevlle.

As far as doing the bushings and ball joints yourself, it really depends on how much money you feel like spending, or what tools you have. You can rent a ball-joint/u-joint tool kit from most parts stores that will actually make pretty quick work of everything save one bushing on each upper. You can use a hammer and angled chisel to beat out the the rest. That's what I did, but I'm poor and doing everything on the cheap lol.

• 4 months later...

In my first Monte ('72) I did stock upper lower control arms with a full P-S-T Polygraphite rebuild.  That was in the late 90's early 2000's.  Kept the springs and updated the shocks.  Rode and turned like new.  Friend did the work on the weekend for a $100 bucks and case of beer.  Kept the car for about year after the upgrade and did not have any squeaking.

In my current '70, just went with tubular upper & lower with coil overs.  Haven't worked out the bugs yet, but am impressed with ride and handling.  Since I replaced everything, I didn't have to have bushings pressed in/out.  Did it myself without a lift in a little over 3 days (4 days if you include the fuel sending unit swap).  Have to get the rear updated next.  It's a never ending flow of $$... LOL!

So I'm with the others, keep the springs if they are working for you and update the rest.