steering wheel/column

smokinquack

Just got my OPGI catalog, it shows a three spoke steering wheel as a factory option in 70.  My standard one is in rough shape.  My understanding is all SS had a black steering column, mine has apparently been painted.   Want to keep my car factory-ish.  Was this wheel available from the factory?

Resized_20190614_133423_777.jpeg

Resized_20190614_133346_2539.jpeg

Resized_20190614_132804_4248.jpeg

Hi. The 3 spoke wheel is the optional steering wheel for a 70. I changed mine on my 70 SS due to it being cracked and having a 71 center/ horn button. 

As far as the steering column being black, I have heard that and all big block cars being black. Although the car pictured in the catalog is green and is a real SS. 

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

1970 was the last year that Chevrolet A body cars had  steering columns, steering wheels and column knobs that were the same color as the dashboard. Although it's the standard wheel, the 1970 Monte Carlo brochure shows an all green steering wheel.

I know there are exceptions to the color matched steering column in the Chevelle series but I would think, as it's more upscale, all 1970 Monte Carlos received a color matched column. If you have a color matched column, I'd say it should have a color matched steering wheel.

The rest of us 71 & 72 people just have to suffer without the color matched columns & wheels.

I've seen a couple of unrestored '70 SS454s that had color matched columns and steering wheels. Not all of them were black from the factory. It's possible that yours hasn't been changed. 

Dan

• 1 year later...

I have a 1970 Monte Carlo and the original steering wheel is long gone and a 1971 has been installed.  Have an aftermarket OEM steering wheel but do not have the Monte Carlo script emblem that is suppose to go in the center burlwood portion.  Have the burlwood sticker but not the Monte Carlo script.  Does anyone know where to get one?

Darrell,

First off, Welcome to the club website and we hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member. 

That steering wheel is not reproduced to the best of my knowledge.  You may need to find someone with an old steering wheel that is beyond repair due to cracks and other issues that may be willing to sell you the script or the entire steering wheel.  You may even find someone selling one that is usable that you  could install on your car.  Good luck in your search.

rob

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, Chevelle said:

Hello Dan. I sent you a email  lostnspace65@yahoo.com. Ref 68 chevelle dash restoration 

Thanks 

Although Dan may still have this, the post you’re replying to is 10 months old. Just an FYI