Awake after 34 year slumber!

Well, today's progress.... Changed all the hoses and clamps, thermostat and gasket, heater control valve, flushed the cooling system before doing all this.

Ran the car, got it hot, burped the system. All good. Shut the car off and spotted antifreeze coming out between the radiator support and the upper radiator plate. Removed the plate to find a pinhole in the upper most tube. Old cars!!!! Lolol

IMG_20190824_160039.jpg

IMG_20190824_160048.jpg

IMG_20190824_160054.jpg

• Like 1

Battled cooling problems since the day I got the car, flushed the rad twice,  ran water through the block, popped the drain plugs out of the bottom of the block. If the rad is all punky and old like that, Rick Auto has em for less than 300 bucks! 

Hello people, this week's progress... 

Bled the back brakes after tightening the stainless steel brake line some more. Also removed the rear drums to free up the brake shoes and hardware. Now have a brake pedal! 

Added bars leak, the original formula, to the radiator to stop the pinhole leak. Success there also. This is until I decide on either a new radiator or have this 4 core recored. 

Installed a new 10yr old distributor that had a pertronix already installed along with a flamethrower coil, new cap, rotor, a/c spark plugs and flamethrower wires. All of which my brother had "in stock" from an old (10yrs) project. Car runs better than before and it ran gooooood. 

Decided to test the brakes and trans shifting..... It shifts! Lolol

Next should be an exhaust system.

IMG_20190831_195321_01.jpg

IMG_20190831_195317_01.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well today my brother decided to take the new rally rims and red lines off his 72 Monte Carlo that he has for sale and install them on "barn find". Reinstalled the new, but older white walls and original hubcaps back onto the 72 and lower his asking price. Have to say, the Rally's really wake up the look of "barn find" 

Check out the 72 with the new lower price in the for sale section. 

IMG_20191005_110611.jpg

IMG_20191005_110632.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Finally got back to "barn find". Added the NK4 sport steering wheel and  started to do the exhaust. Of course no matter what I tried the old studs broke in the manifolds. So my son and I removed the exhaust manifolds to remove the broken studs easier. Well of course, true to big blocks, the outer bolts on both manifolds were cracked off and upon further inspection the passenger side manifold was severely cracked almost in half. 

So we decided to change the original engine mounts, that turned out to be broken. Lol. We installed new mounts from Amazon that were 6.00 each and are exactly the same as the 35.00 Lakewood mounts. 

My brother then remembered that we had some big block exhaust manifolds "in stock". After finding, checking and painting the "in stock" manifolds and changing the exhaust pipe studs, they were installed. Then we added the pypes 2 1/2 stock style head pipes. 

That's where we called it quits, for now. Next is to add the flowmaster header back exhaust system we have "in stock" from a parts car. 

IMG_20191026_155823.jpg

IMG_20191026_153819.jpg

IMG_20191026_153809.jpg

IMG_20191026_160041.jpg

• 7 months later...

Helloooo everyone! Update time. Lolol

As some of you know, my son now has his own 71 Monte that we did a bunch of stuff to. Well it's done,for now. 

Now it's "Barn Finds" turn. We installed rally wheels with bfg tires that were in stock from my brothers 71 SS.  Changed the valve cover gaskets with ones from my 70 SS build. Installed the F41 upper and lower control arms and sway bar that we installed new bushings into. Then we finally tackled the exhaust system that also was "in stock" from a parts car with the GM exhaust tips that have been "in the family" for at least 20 yrs and are weathered accordingly. 

IMG_20200531_113826.jpg

IMG_20200531_105732.jpg

IMG_20200531_171703.jpg

IMG_20200531_171711.jpg

IMG_20200531_171725.jpg

IMG_20200531_171631.jpg

IMG_20200531_171609.jpg

lovin all the pictures.... Would really love to see some of those Monte's in Carlisle at the 50th Anniversary celebration.

rob

cny first gen 71- that was the easiest job we did today. All the bolts came out except for one that needed a little persuasion. About 45min tops. 

1970mcss- it is supposed to be Nevada silver with a black vynal top. Had a repaint many years ago with a slightly bluer tint to the silver. 

Rob Peters- we are still up in the air about going with the virus still going strong and possibly worse with all the unmasked protests. We are watching though.... Hopefully...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gang. Lol just a brief update. Have been doing alot of little stuff on the. "barn find" 

Got all the exterior lights working. R/r both headlights, misc bulbs and l/f turnsignal harness , reverse light housings all with good used stuff that was in stock. 

Got the horn working with some steering wheel/column parts and a good used horn. In stock parts. Lol

Had the original numbers matching/correct carb rebuilt and installed it along with a new divorced choke coil and cover. Also installed a new nos a/c  throttle solinoid. Purrs like a kitten, even though it's a 402. Purrs like a cat just doesn't sound right. Lolol

Bolted the grille on with the correct bolts and hardware I purchased from Vic at East Coast Bolts. I know, your saying, WHAT?  He doesn't have them in stock!?! Well I do, a couple of sets BUT I couldn't find them. Lol now that it's done I will. Lololol 

IMG_20200620_125225.jpg

IMG_20200620_125238.jpg

• Like 4