Awake after 34 year slumber!

Sometimes I think I spend more time looking for stuff that I know is around here somewhere, than just buying it again (which I've also done). And then going back to the same exact spots like 'rainman', hoping for different results. I usually say, "It's not lost, it's just in the last place I left it". My success rate is about 90% though...usually.

• Like 2

Laughing at the couldn't find the "in stock" parts in the warehouse, and yea been there too. Also done the going back to the same drawers/ shelves 2 or 3 times saying it must be there. But if anyone has looked for a part, picked up a part saying I ordered it at the same time I ordered this so it should be right here...............only to find after 30-45 minutes of searching you were holding the part you were looking for only you remembered it looking differently raise your hand (hand raised). Yep did that too lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey all,

Decided to change all the outside bulbs with new ones, just because. Lol

Installed the wheel opening mouldings. Used 2 nos mouldings that were tweaked and small dents that we had in stock. 

While at it we decided to install the PO2 hubcaps on one side to see what she looked like new. I don't think I like the hubcaps with white lettered tires.  They need a white wall or redline. What do you all think?? 

IMG_20200628_143438.jpg

IMG_20200628_143454.jpg

IMG_20200628_143506.jpg

IMG_20200628_143520.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

While at it we decided to install the PO2 hubcaps on one side to see what she looked like new. I don't think I like the hubcaps with white lettered tires.  They need a white wall or redline. What do you all think?? 

Agreed on the white letters. Redlines or whitewall would look good.

• Like 2

Lol. I was asking about the tires for the PO2 hubcaps.  The redlines on the Rally's looked good also but they are now on my brothers 71 SS454. They are his after all. Lolol and look good on it. 

IMG_20200407_161243.jpg

IMG_20200407_161221.jpg

• Like 2

Well if your going to change the rules  now to red lines on rally wheels i'm going to go with raised white letters 🤪 But it doesnt look bad, don't think i'd like the white wall with rally's but then again its not my car. 

• Like 1

Lolol. I agree, I like the raised white letters on rally wheels. Don't like them on the PO2 hubcaps. Red line or whitewall for the hubcaps? The PO2 hubcaps are original to "Barn Find" 

• Like 1

I have the white walls with my rally wheels and I think they look fine.  That is like the tires they came with from the factory if you had rally or hub caps.  I never saw a Monte back when they were released from the factory with raised white letters and back then they looked great to me.  After all we are talking about First Gen Monte's and they look great no matter how you dress them.  I think it mostly comes down to peoples own tastes.  Back in the days, most First Gen Monte's came with Hub Caps.

rob

• Like 2

Hey Tom and Kevin, love the pics of the cars they look great!!!       As far as the PO2,s, I am not a big fan of them on our cars at all. They do look better with white or red walls , and not as good with the raised ltrs.     I at the show (Carlisle) had the PO2's on with the raised ltrs but didn't like them. The PO2"s were there because that was the way she was born. I do plan on putting caps and rings on latter.     

The cars look GREAT!!!

Missed you guys at the show.

See you soon

• Like 2

Hey Willie, I'm on the fence with the PO2 hubcaps. I know they were standard issue on the 72 Monte Carlo Customs. Someone ordered my 71 402 "Barn Find" with them. I will most likely install them eventually as they were "born" on/with the car and you don't see them often. I believe in Jared's video, yours was the only Monte with them. Rally wheels everywhere. Lolol

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. One of todays projects.... 

Had the original 12 bolt for my 70 SS rebuilt with a Detroit Tru Trac, 3.31 gears new bearings, seals, strange axles with 1/2 x 2 studs, 1350 u-joint yoke, upper bushings and carrier bearing studs, new brake shoes,backing plates, wheel cylinders, hardware and new drums also. 

Built identical to the 12 bolt that is in the 70 SS now. 

Why you ask? Lol well... 

The rear just built is the original, #s matching rear for the 70. The 71 "barn find" had it's 12 bolt plucked from it many years ago. No one knows when, where or why. 

So the rear from the 70 will be transplanted into the 71. Yes, all that work for some numbers on an axle tube. Lololol

Anyhow, lol I spent most of the day cleaning it up, getting ready for some paint.

For anyone interested I have the original 12 bolt posi 2 series carrier that is available. Don't want to ship though. Very heavy. Also has ok 3.73 gears on it with a spacer/adapter. 

IMG_20200712_130524.jpg

IMG_20200712_130532.jpg

IMG_20200712_130843.jpg

• Like 2

Had the original 12 bolt for my 70 SS rebuilt with a Detroit Tru Trac, 3.31 gears new bearings, seals, strange axles with 1/2 x 2 studs, 1350 u-joint yoke, upper bushings and carrier bearing studs, new brake shoes,backing plates, wheel cylinders, hardware and new drums also. 

Hey Tom, not trying to steal the thread but i'm getting ready to do similar and was going to post a separate thread but figured I'd latch onto yours lol. Talking to a friend the other day telling him I was going with 355 gears he suggested upgrading the wheel studs too since i'm going to be using drag radials. Another friend advised to go 1/2 since I think the stock are 7/16. So with your experience would you suggest axles and other parts you upgraded in yours ? 

Hey Mark.

I honestly would recommend the same exact parts I had installed in my 12 bolt. 

This identical rear is in the 70 SS as we speak. Has many 1/4 mile passes on it without an issue. I use 275 60 r15 drag radials. So far best of 11.22@ 120. 

If you look at the pics I also had the rebuilder weld the axle tubes to the center section. The factory 4 rosette welds are marginal at best. 

Our cars are heavy compared to most others and I also recommend the 1/2 studs. I use 2" version to be able to put the rally rim derby caps on. Any longer and you cannot. 

• Like 1

So today I decided to tackle the power seat. When looking for a build sheet when we first got the "barn find"  we found the front bolt on each side broken. 

Well after much heat, penetrating fluid and cursing l am proud to say... It didn't work. Lolol

Next, ole reliable... Drill bits. Drilled and retapped the front bolts and reinstalled the seat. Operation a success!¡! Lol

And no build sheet under the rug either. 😞

IMG_20200713_133803.jpg

IMG_20200713_133806.jpg

IMG_20200713_133812.jpg

2 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Hey Mark.

I honestly would recommend the same exact parts I had installed in my 12 bolt. 

This identical rear is in the 70 SS as we speak. Has many 1/4 mile passes on it without an issue. I use 275 60 r15 drag radials. So far best of 11.22@ 120. 

If you look at the pics I also had the rebuilder weld the axle tubes to the center section. The factory 4 rosette welds are marginal at best. 

Our cars are heavy compared to most others and I also recommend the 1/2 studs. I use 2" version to be able to put the rally rim derby caps on. Any longer and you cannot. 

Thanks Tom, with the exception of the welds and drag radials were those "in stock" parts or did you have a shopping list somewhere? My local track runs a sportsman 1/4 mile class so I hope to have some fun this year once I finish upgrading stuff lol 

Lol all good, ask away. I am using a driveshaft loop that bolts between the trans mount and transmission. I didn't want to drill holes in my virgin, solid floorboards. 

I did have to get a shorter trans mount to keep the geometry correct. Summit sells them. 

• Like 1

Man, those Turbine hubcaps are AWESOME. Thinking about getting a set to go with my 3/8 inch whitewalls I have coming to replace my BFG raised brown letter tires.

I think they are also. Just make sure if you do get them and install them you MUST have at least a 15x7 rim. They don't seat on a 15x6 which was the standard rim. 

• Like 1

Tom, I saw in a previous thread that you had the original radiator but it had a leak you put stop leak in and we’re deciding whether to recore it or get a new one. If you do decide to get a new one I would be interested in buying your old one if it is a four core. I have a 71 that had the original radiator and I sent it to get recored but FedEx damaged the driver side tank when they shipped it back. It has code letters IF on the driver tank Jerry