Awake after 34 year slumber!

Thank you. It's my brother's and for sale. 1977 Pontiac Grand Le Mans 9 pass wagon. 73,000 original miles. 6.0 LS swap with atomic efi. Th400. Factory non a/c car. Blue with factory woodgrain on the bottom. Sweet ride! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello all. This weekend's endeavor was the timing chain. 

As you all know by now, "Barn Find" was sitting for 34 years before I acquired her. She also has 109,000 miles on her. 

So while looking for parts for another project we stumbled across a cloyes double roller timing chain set that has to be over 30yrs new. Lol. Aka in stock.lol  So we figured what the heck. Since when we installed the pertronix to the distributor and noticed a delay in the rotor turning when turning the crank by hand. 

Had to order a timing cover set. I know, What he didn't have that in stock?! Well we did. But unfortunately 30 yr new gaskets get extremely brittle and crumbled instantly. Lolol BUT we had them in stock. 

All done. Now have the front end to do. Everything is ready to go for that. Just need time lolol. 

PXL_20201128_195243126.jpg

PXL_20201128_195026534.jpg

PXL_20201127_193234625.jpg

PXL_20201127_185650377.jpg

PXL_20201127_185641478.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jft69z said:

I've had to scoop those nylon teeth out of an oil pan before, you caught that one just in time.

Ya been there done that. Pulled the oil pan so I could get them out of the oil pump screen too

Finished up the car today. Added anitfreeze, burped coolant system after draining the 10w30 oil that we put in when we first started her after her 34 yr sleep. Installed new filter and 15w40 rotella oil. Hopefully clean her out some more.  Lol. Added a qt of trans fluid.

Wired in new harness for the kickdown for the th400 that was cut/crushed in 3 different places. No reason why. 

Fired her up, let her warm up and burp and then checked the timing. When we installed the pertronix distributor I set the timing at 12 degrees, up 4 from what the engine sticker says. Well obviously after r/r of the timing chain that was very worn, the timing specs would and should be off. 

Checked with the light and found the timing to be 35 degrees at idle. Woooooow! Way off from 12! Reset the timing and idle and Walla! Boy does she run better than before and she ran good before! Lol

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all!  Well after alot of back n forth with the NY DMV I finally got "Barn Find" on the road. Her first "legal" trip was for a nice fresh tank of super! 

Didn't keep her out long, found out the heat/blowers were not working and it was cold out to say the least. Lol Put her back in the garage and did some checking. Found the 4 seasons relay, the one on top of the a/c box near the vacuum pod no good. Jumped it out and all works. Have a new one on its way. And yes, I do have a few of these "in stock" but for 15 bucks, new it is. Lol

PXL_20210123_175603649.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Hello all!  Well after alot of back n forth with the NY DMV I finally got "Barn Find" on the road. Her first "legal" trip was for a nice fresh tank of super! 

Didn't keep her out long, found out the heat/blowers were not working and it was cold out to say the least. Lol Put her back in the garage and did some checking. Found the 4 seasons relay, the one on top of the a/c box near the vacuum pod no good. Jumped it out and all works. Have a new one on its way. And yes, I do have a few of these "in stock" but for 15 bucks, new it is. Lol

PXL_20210123_175603649.jpg

Of corse the first stop is for gas lol, it only got up to about 15 here today and got about 6 inches of new snow last night, about a foot a few miles north of us. I had the garage door open to get snowblower out :B

• Sad 2

• 5 months later...

Hey everyone! Just a long overdue update. Finally took "barn find" for a ride... To get inspected. Lol. Ran and shifted good for being off the road for so long. Have to adjust the rebuilt Rochester a little, the front end is shot but otherwise, she loved being on the road again. Second pic is of "the girls" enjoying some sunlight. Lol

PXL_20210702_144004195.jpg

PXL_20210701_132455386.jpg

• Like 4

Not really Rob. Lol we are always working on other people's classics. We love doing it but leaves no time for ours. Lol plus 5 others are not pictured. My 70 SS, Kevin's 71 SS, His 76 tubbed "flip flop firebird" and 36 f*#d Tudor and our 84 tubbed Cavalier. 6 of you count my 71 402 4speed also. 🥴

Tom I see you and I always have to park by the garbage container. I for one feel very comfortable there!!!   LOL

Love the flock, Is it even possible to get them all together in one place to take a pic???

Hope all is well???

• 1 year later...

So, as you can tell "Barn Find" has been sleeping for a looooooong time. WELL, she's awake! Lol. Found her in a slumber in a garage with a 71 SS454 Monte Carlo, a 69 GTO rag top and a 70 SUPER BEE! 

She fired right up and was eager for a ride in the fresh air. Got her to our place of repairs (Kevin's house) and immediately took inventory of the trunk full and back seat full of parts waiting to be installed. 

Started off with putting the latest, greatest updated registration sticker in the window. Lol then installed the 2 sport mirrors I painted a few days ago. The original drivers mirror was literally black in the center portion of the lens and the passenger side was old, crusty and just wrong. Lol. Also lubricated the window regulators and motor while the door panels were off. OMG what a difference! The windows go up and down like lightning compared to how they were. Lol

PXL_20230513_170621550.jpg

PXL_20230513_170629630.jpg

PXL_20230513_170638650.jpg

PXL_20230513_170705272.jpg

PXL_20230513_180241849.jpg

• Like 4