Awake after 34 year slumber!

Well, 36 years later and I have to tell you the front end on Barn Find is not only shot but rusted in! Lol. Had figured that. 

Started on the passenger side first after installing the pair of sport mirrors I recently painted onto a friend's 72 Chevelle SS. First thing to break was the hard (metal) brake line. 😢, The shock lower cage nuts, cut the sway bar end links. The shock, coil and entire front end is the original parts she left the factory with.

The coil still had the factory tag on it but was too faded to read. I was going to offer Dennis the lower control arms but somewhere in it's life it hit something. 😢 Sorry D. 

Then after fighting the lower control arm bolts out. They were rusted in, we decided to call it a day. Have to look in the attic at the stockpile of "in stock" parts for the 4 speed to see if the new front brake lines are there or someplace else. At this point I may as well replace the 2 front hard lines.

Well, anyways here are a few pics so far ...  

PXL_20230515_174020120.jpg

PXL_20230515_210242209.jpg

PXL_20230515_210249515.jpg

PXL_20230515_210216205.jpg

PXL_20230515_210228431.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Looks like fun. Thanks for thinking of me. Them pretty one on the ground would work. Lol. It will turn out great. And as a bonus you’re freeing up some needed space. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

Looks like fun. Thanks for thinking of me. Them pretty one on the ground would work. Lol. It will turn out great. And as a bonus you’re freeing up some needed space. 

Lol how true. The finished control arms have been in the trunk for 2 years, along with all the other front end parts. 2yrs new. Lol. 

It definitely is freeing up space. The only problem with that, as you know, SOMETHING ALWAYS makes its way into the empty space. Lololol🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Well, here's today's progress. One side all painted, brake line (hard) replaced and bled, complete, ready to go. Now, just the rest. Lolol including f-41  front sway bar and all the steering linkage. 

PXL_20230516_163236413.jpg

PXL_20230516_195013885.jpg

PXL_20230516_195024481.jpg

PXL_20230516_222740241.jpg

• Like 10

Disassembled driver's side today. Also replaced the driver's side hard brake line. Figured what the heck, changed everything else so why not. Lol. 

Friend is sandblasting the disassembled driver's spindle and a few other things tonight so we can paint them and reassemble the driver's side tomorrow. 

Sorry I didn't take any pics today. Figured it was just repetitive from Mondays pics. Lol. 

• Like 3

Today's progress, painted the spindle parts, reassembled,and installed the driver's side. Installed and set all new steering linkage, and added the F-41 front sway bar. 

PXL_20230518_202516901.jpg

PXL_20230518_202520903.jpg

PXL_20230518_205014933.jpg

• Like 6

Took Barn Find out today. Got her a fresh tank of super, and did some spirited driving. Had to bed in the drilled and slotted rotors and pads.

Somewhere along the lines the transmission must have been rebuilt. Although it's leaking from everywhere, she "chirps" second gear like a shift kit would. Driving "normal" it shifts soft but when laying into it..... CCCHHHHIIIIRRRRRPPPP!!!!!!

I know, no pics it didn't happen, but it did.  Lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1