Stater Clicking issue -

snomobeelr

The old intermittent Starter click, click , does not engage issue is back, I thought it was resolved and it has returned. The only fix that works for a while is  replacing the Solenoid which I have done each year, but its getting old. I do not think the driving the car only in the spring summer and fall heats up and  kills the Solenoid. Yet Ive been having this issue and it seems to happen every year for past 4 years,  I know the reason it is clicking is its not getting the full 12 volts at that time. But I dont know why and why it is intermittent.  I wondered if it could actually be something with the Neutral safety switch. I read on another post somewhere "you should replace the neutral safety switch wires with 12 gauge wire" ?  Or maybe it is something to do with  the Rod on steering Column?  But wouldn't that be dead and not getting a click?  I am at the point where I dont want to but I am thinking of installing a relay since I cant figure it out.  Any Suggestions appreciated.  Thanks 

Usually starts and drives fine.

Out of nowhere I get the "Click Click" when trying to start then after three or so tries she fires up.

Happen's when Cold after it had started just fine. 

Good Battery , New Heavy Battery Cable's and Connections

Ground  is good and added ground straps from Motor to frame.  

I had the same issue and played with solenoids last year. One of the members suggested an rebuilt AC Delco starter motor and that has seemed to fix the problem for me. I bought mine from Rock Auto...Good luck

It is a Mini Starter. Its not stock motor.  When it does act up. I turn the Key and get a Single "Click".  Its not a multiple of "Clicks".. I  Turn  key off and try again and get a Single "Click". Usually 3rd time Starts right up.  

Thank Guys,

i would guess your bendix is being driven but you have a dead spot on the armature. i dont know about the mini starters but the delcos if i remeber correctly you have a disk in the solenoid you can clean or reverse. 2 brushes that wear and the commutator that you can clean with emery or a lathe. take it apart and see.

So if it is a dead spot on the Armature would it happen every time I try to start it?  I can start it a few times and its fine engages right off the bat and starts. Then out of nowhere I get the "Click"  and have to turn the key off and try again a few times before it will start.  I've replaced the Solenoid  one time each year on the mini starter because of this. After I replace it its good Until the next year. But its getting old  

Check your ignition switch, neutral safety switch, and firewall bulkhead connections.  You're sending quite a bit of power through a long length of wiring to engage the solenoid, any resistance or corrosion can create enough of a bottleneck to not pass enough power through.  Do you have a multimeter to check how many volts you're getting to the solenoid when it's not working?

I'm a bit believer in running a relay for the solenoid as well.  Then you're pulling power from the same place as the starter itself, and the ignition is only giving it the signal.  It's no different and much cleaner than running a remote solenoid.

Do you have a shield on the starter? Protect it from the heat.... You could start with replacing the leads if that hasn't been mentioned yet but for me it's always been the heat off the headers that kills the starter solenoid. 

Steve

Yes. Just like that one. It's actually "mini" not just a gear reduction starter, which will also work for a while, but is larger than that style.

I have this style starter on my 496 with hooker super competition headers and have alot of room all around it for airflow, to hopefully keep it from overheating. Also you can "clock" the position of the solinoid to be as far away from the heat as possible. This doesn't always work though. Some cars don't have the room. 

On 6/28/2019 at 6:45 PM, MC1of80 said:

Yes. Just like that one. It's actually "mini" not just a gear reduction starter, which will also work for a while, but is larger than that style.

I have this style starter on my 496 with hooker super competition headers and have alot of room all around it for airflow, to hopefully keep it from overheating. Also you can "clock" the position of the solinoid to be as far away from the heat as possible. This doesn't always work though. Some cars don't have the room. 

Thanks