Restore door hinges?

71MonteCarloMD

Anyone did restoration of door hinges as I was told that it is best to buy new or restored replacements as it’s difficult or time consuming to restore them?

I saw OPGI having a sale on set of 4, knowing history of OPGI as they are selling Restoparts for 180, I could not check The Parts Place as their website is down, is that a good price?

if so, would I paint over them or not?

Rick,

On my current Monte I have not but my original Monte I had to replace the hinge pins and bushings.  I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to or not.  It is usually not a hard thing to do.

rob

Rob, thanks as I’m not sure if its easy to do as it looks like it is?

Restoration kit from OPGI: https://www.opgi.com/monte-carlo/1971/door-handles-hardware/door-hinges/ACP0C85/ - is that what you replaced in your original Monte?  If not, what did you use?  

How about the springs, do I reuse them as mine looks rusted?

Rick,

Yes, that would be what I replaced.  I am not sure if you can get the springs.  I would think you can reuse them.

rob

Rick,

I see from your other post that your door is off the car.  I did my hinges with the door still mounted on the car which was much harder.  With your door removed I think it will be a lot easier.  Doing it with the door still mounted on the car is hard because you can only do one hinge at a time while trying to support the door at the same time.

rob

40 minutes ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Rob, I see and I’m wondering when one will know to replace pins and bushings?

These doors are so heavy they tend to wear the hinge pins and bushings.  With the door mounted, open the door and grasp the bottom of the door on the latch side and lift.  You should not feel any play up and down.  If you do feel any play I would replace them. when they are real bad, as you close the door you will actually see it raise a little bit when the latch comes in contact with the latch bar.

rob

Rob, I don’t see any loose movement on my existing hinges so I would probably leave it as it is as it’s still sturdy but have lot of surface rust.  Am thinking of applying POR15 on entire hinge, any concerns?