Bad short

willie

Rob and Paul, ok so we are good on the clock, i will keep my eye on the charge of the batt for a few days and see what happens.

Tom, i looked on the chevelle site and from what i seen i should just take the needle off and place it back on facing up, does this sound right?

Maybe i should just start it up and see what happens, we will see.

Thanks guys

Willie, I don't believe you take off the needle. Just turn it till it's back at the 12 o'clock position. Or there is something with a weak 9v battery. I haven't tried either yet. Not up to that yet. Lolol

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys here we go, lol   As all of you know that i have been chasing down the Gremlins for awhile. One by one (with the help of you guys) I have been knocking them out. So last week after we spoke about the clock being the only draw left and that it would not draw all the time. And i also had the problem of the Amp gauge pointing down. I decided to hook up the battery and see what happens after a few days. Well the batt was fine and stayed charged. The Amp gauge was still pointing down, but i wasn't to worried about it for now as Leo said he didn't have any Nos or even Oem and that i was forced into buying a repo unit. I didn't get it yet.

I decided to start the car, so i got everything all ready making sure nothing was in the way, and the fuel pump had a line to my 5 gallon jug. I reached into the car to turn the key, and got Nothing. All my dash lights and gauges are working. After tracing the power to the starter, i know needed a starter. lol  But its not over lol. I go to the local parts store and get what i needed. I installed the starter with no problems and now i turn the key and it just spins. lol i am not getting any fuel. This is a brand new fuel pump. So this time i have a spare, i put the spare in, and this one dosen't work either. lol so i take a spare 350 fuel pump that i have and bolt it up and she fires right up!

ALL GOOD NO

IMG_1252.MOV

Ok its not letting me load it. Sorry.    That last sentence was ALL GOOD HERE NOW!!!!!! and Many, Many thanks for all the help you guys gave me. 

However dont get to comfortable because i have another problem. How did anyone adjust the left side front speaker so it wouldn't touch the circuit board? I mounted the bracket on the front side of the cowl, but the magnet still hits the circuit board and pushes it into the back of the gauge cluster. Any thoughts?

Also Tom for some reason the Amp gauge is working correctly now that i started her. lol   This car has i mind of its own!!!

Willie....  Ahhhhhhh, the sweet sound of a long slumbering first gen Monte Carlo.    You may have to Dub her "Christine".   Sorry, I can't reply to the speaker issue.  Is it an original speaker or repop.  Maybe mount a good smaller speaker in there.

rob

Hey Paul, i never had it running, i had the car for about 10 years and i know the person i bought it from. He had it parts so it wasn't running for him in years prior. It was his high school car so i am guessing it ran about 1980 to 1985 not much after that. Hense all these electric components not working. lol  No electric pump, all stock mechanical pumps, thats what made it so funny i put 3 BB pumps on, none worked then i put a 350 pump on and it started right up. lol

Hey Rob, lol Christine might be alittle strong right now, but we will see where it goes. lol    As far as the speaker it is an original speaker that has been rebuilt.

IMG_1253.JPG.7e11775b4b37f594e8099386484ec918.JPGIMG_1254.JPG.caff0de0c008e951bacfa3de623accd0.JPG

I taped everything up inside and out so as to have nothing touch, but it still does so i haven't mounted it yet. Hopefully someone can help me.

I also am going to video the engine running today, is there anything different to loading a video than a pic?

On 8/30/2019 at 4:09 PM, willie said:

OK guys here we go, lol   As all of you know that i have been chasing down the Gremlins for awhile. One by one (with the help of you guys) I have been knocking them out. So last week after we spoke about the clock being the only draw left and that it would not draw all the time. And i also had the problem of the Amp gauge pointing down. I decided to hook up the battery and see what happens after a few days. Well the batt was fine and stayed charged. The Amp gauge was still pointing down, but i wasn't to worried about it for now as Leo said he didn't have any Nos or even Oem and that i was forced into buying a repo unit. I didn't get it yet.

I decided to start the car, so i got everything all ready making sure nothing was in the way, and the fuel pump had a line to my 5 gallon jug. I reached into the car to turn the key, and got Nothing. All my dash lights and gauges are working. After tracing the power to the starter, i know needed a starter. lol  But its not over lol. I go to the local parts store and get what i needed. I installed the starter with no problems and now i turn the key and it just spins. lol i am not getting any fuel. This is a brand new fuel pump. So this time i have a spare, i put the spare in, and this one dosen't work either. lol so i take a spare 350 fuel pump that i have and bolt it up and she fires right up!

ALL GOOD NO

THAT ^ made me think you had an electric pump

9 hours ago, willie said:

Hey Paul, i never had it running, i had the car for about 10 years and i know the person i bought it from. He had it parts so it wasn't running for him in years prior. It was his high school car so i am guessing it ran about 1980 to 1985 not much after that. Hense all these electric components not working. lol  No electric pump, all stock mechanical pumps, thats what made it so funny i put 3 BB pumps on, none worked then i put a 350 pump on and it started right up. lol

Hey Rob, lol Christine might be alittle strong right now, but we will see where it goes. lol    As far as the speaker it is an original speaker that has been rebuilt.

And THAT ^ is where you set me straight. Thanks! :rofl:

Willie, I got a pair of speakers with the original size magnets but I can't remember from who. I think I mounted the left speaker and lifted or bent the mounting brackets up slightly so it clears. So the speaker angles up but the dash pad still fits properly. If that makes sense. 

Hey Paul, before i go crazy can you do me a favor and take a pic of the left side speaker in reference to the way the magnet is mounted on the base. Only if you have it available. I am thinking the person who rebuilt it might of had the magnet twisted and thats why it is hitting the circuit board. If you have them stored away not a problem i will just rip them out of my parts car. Thought it would be easier if you have them available.   I tried to bend the tabs up, but the speaker looked way to high for the dash cover to fit, so i bent them back down.    

Thanks

Willie, I bought my replacements from Classic car Speakers  http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm . They use a smaller magnet as you can see in the pictures and I believe they also sent the little brackets for the mounting bracket. I think when I mounted them they stick up a bit but the cover did fit. They aren't cheap but they sound original so to speak. Take a look.

Thanks Paul, i am not sure what i am going to do yet. I already spent the money to rebuild them. But that pic shows me the drivers side speakers angle. So at least i know mine is not in the wrong position. 

Thanks for sending that, i now have an option.