BBC Crate motor ?

DragCat

Anybody dropped a dressed BBC crate motor in their Monte? No i'm NOT going the LS route lol. I'd like to keep the TH400 (although refresh it with a new converter too) and keep the existing accessory belts and brackets (not go serpentine). I did a search but didn't see anything recent with results. I know I could rebuild the existing but Ive seen parts break and the block is only original once, even tho I never plan on selling the Monte. 

Look on eBay. Have seen many with a warranty also. All different cubic inches and States of assembly, hp too. 

I went the 496 route, not crate engine though. Used the parts I had laying around for a long, long time. Th400 and 3.31 gear. Drivable and power! 

• Like 1

The folks at Blue Print Engines are well regarded over at the Chevelle forum.

The big block Chevy crate motors have low tension oil rings. Not a bad choice of engine but I'd tear it apart and mike everything and use better rings.

I sent BluePrint a question through their website asking some questions on their 496, haven't heard back yet. Probably will have to call.  Same thing for the GM Performance people. I definitely want a warranty. Definitely needs to be streetable but have some fun with it at the track 1/8 mile style. Thanks for the heads up on the rings. I want to stay with a carburetor, don't want to have to drag out a laptop to tune things lol 

Update, spoke to GM this am, ZZ502 will drop in, bolt up to my TH400, and I can reuse my existing a/c, ps, brackets and parts without upgrading to the serpentine belt system. Looks like I know now what my winter project will be lol . 

• 2 weeks later...

Beware the Gen V & VI big blocks, ie 502, do not have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump. If your already running an electric pump, it's not an issue. Your flexplate/flywheel will also need to be replaced.

I'm a fan of the ATK crate engines, check them out.

Scott

Chevrolet made the GenV block for a short time and the GenVI that replaced it has provisions for a traditional mechanical fuel pump.427, 454, 502 and 572 engines currently offered are GenVI based and have provisions for a traditional mechanical fuel pump.

ATK is highly regarded over at the Chevelle forum.

I put a ZZ502ci GM crate motor in my Monte roughly 17 years ago. Mine had no provision more a mechanical pump. Mine came with a short water pump, no problem I just used my original long style and everything bolted right up.

17 years ago it could have been a GenV block. It was relatively short lived because it was difficult to retrofit older heads because of the different water passages in the decks. At the same time, everybody was complaining about the fuel pump and Z-bar provisions that were missing so when they fixed the water passages to accept MkIV heads, they put back the pump & clutch capability.

11 minutes ago, 502ci said:

Forgot to mention I have beat the daylights out of it and it runs flawlessly.

That's good to know!!

I appreciate the additional posts. Hemmings did an article on a crate motor in a 69 Chevelle (posted on another thread, I haven't read all of their updates yet) that also had some great heads ups.  I was aware of the water pump (short/long) difference since I intend to re-use my accessory pully's and stuff. The new blocks do have the provision for a mechanical fuel pump but I do have to double check on the fuel pump push rod. The GM crate does come with an externally balanced flex plate . I will be dropping in a new aluminum radiator during the swap, haven't decided on the brand yet, i'm leaning towards summit but still reading the radiator thread on other options. Also will look at headers soon. The TH400 will get a refresh and a new converter and that should be all for the drivetrain, except some drag radials. The 331 gears should handle the combo fine.